£185 to replace master cylinder??

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Dannorton
2nd Gear

£185 to replace master cylinder??

Post by Dannorton » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Got the car booked in for the clutch doin tomorrow and they've quotes me £300 labour which seems reasonable but then phoned me back and want £185 labour to fit the master cylinder aswel, not including parts!
This just seems abit steep to me, what sort of a job is it and is that about right???

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Re: £185 to replace master cylinder??

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:27 pm

Master cylinder? Cant see why that would need replacing unless you have a problem with it.
Do you mean the slave cylinder?
It would be wise to change that while the clutch is being done as its inside the bell housing and theres no way to change it unless the gearbox is separated from the engine.
Also, while you have the opportunity, i would also change the hose feeding it for the upgraded item, and eliminate a possible sticking clutch issue later on.
The sticky clutch issue is a known fault with the B7 RS4.

Dannorton
2nd Gear

Post by Dannorton » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:35 pm

Yes, the master, I just wanted to replace the whole clutch system whilst having the clutch done and the fluids are out etc...
Yes mine has the sticky clutch and I have the uprated pipe from rob so hopefully it'll cure it!
I'm thinking my master might be damaged because the clutch pedal sits higher than the brake pedal by about 20mm which doesn't seem right??

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:54 pm

Thats strange... 20mm is a lot.
I wouldnt think the problem there is with the master cylinder linkage.
I would have a good look around the pedal box assembly and check for any damaged stops or rests.
Theres an over-centre pedal assist spring in the pedal box, item 13, which not only pushes the pedal up but takes some of the load when pressing the pedal down.

Somewhere in that lot will be a rest that the pedal stops onto when released.
See below -

Dannorton
2nd Gear

Post by Dannorton » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:01 pm

I've had the kick panel off tonight and had a good look around but without comparing it, it's hard to tell if anythings worn?? Moving the pedal down 20mm where you place your foot means it only has to have a tiny bit of play at the top if that makes sense?? I'm going to get Jbs to look at it tomorrow when they change the clutch, see what they think??? If they think it's ok then I'll leave the master cylinder until it wants replacing at that price! I'm guessing it can be replaced with the box back in?

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:12 pm

Yes, you dont need the bell housing opened to remove the master cylinder.
Its still an awkward object to get to because its in under the scuttle panel and requires removal of the wiper mechanism, one of the ECU's and possibly disconnection of the steering column as well.

If theres a lot of wear in the bushings or bore of the pedal itself, where it runs on the shaft, item 2, then it could account for a higher pedal position.

Dannorton
2nd Gear

Post by Dannorton » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:40 pm

Might leave the master then for now if it can be done after! There doesn't seem like there any play anywhere which is why it's so strange?? Hopefully they will have one down there tomorrow so I can compare! It might just be me but it doesn't seem right!

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 pm

My clutch pedal sits higher than the brake pedal as well, maybe not 20mm but at least 10mm. Has been like that since I got the car 5 years ago and I had everything changed because of a sticky clutch issue just after I bought the car.

Clutch is just starting to stick when the engine is taken above 7k in the low gears again so probably be on its third setup by 2017.....

There was a guy on here who's clutch pedal sat high as well, think a garage replaced a bit of the linkage up in the pedal box to cure it.

Good luck fixing the clutch.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Pistolpete2543
3rd Gear

Post by Pistolpete2543 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:50 pm

I think that's a fair price for the master cylinder, it's definitely not the easiest part to get to.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”