KW kit - alignment?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Audi Pardner
4th Gear

KW kit - alignment?

Post by Audi Pardner » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Hi guys

I fitted a KW adjustable suspension kit and 9 x 20 Rotors to my car a few weeks ago and the inner tread area on the new PSSs have worn by round about 1mm. :shock:

I'm assuming it's necessary to get the wheel alignment checked and adjusted after fitting the kit, but any confirmation would be appreciated.

Thanks
Misano Red B7 RS4 Avant. 20" Rotors. KW adjustable spring kit. 8 & 10mm H&R spacers. MRC Stage 2 remap. Pre-cat delete & x-pipe.

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: KW kit - alignment?

Post by MikeFish » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Defo need to get it aligned. I had exactly the same issue. I think the aligment sorted it out as they seems to be even now (after replacing the worn tyres).
Trouble is, you can't adjust the camber at the front so if you are way out and still get uneven wear then you can buy someadjustable top arm which will allow you to adjust the camber on the front wheels.

Audi Pardner
4th Gear

Post by Audi Pardner » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks Mike :thumbs:

I'll get the alignment done first (there's a local garage I've used before that have a Hunter alignment system and they know what they're doing), then monitor the wear/pattern.
Misano Red B7 RS4 Avant. 20" Rotors. KW adjustable spring kit. 8 & 10mm H&R spacers. MRC Stage 2 remap. Pre-cat delete & x-pipe.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:12 am

It depends on how low you go. I'm pretty low and have had to fit adjustable top arms. All adjusted and corner weighted at Centre Gravity, not cheap but the best.
:nogarors4:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Audi Pardner
4th Gear

Post by Audi Pardner » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:57 pm

Well I've had the alignment done and it wasn't hugely out so I'm not convinced it's the whole cause of the tyre wear. However, I had to get it done at Kwik Fit :shock: as the garage I used before (and were excellent) said the sensors they clamp to the wheels wouldn't work on a car so low. They suggested I tried KF (who also have the Hunter kit but newer and with smaller sensors). But the process is only as good as the operator and I'm not sure KF staff would have as much training/experience as the other garage. They certainly took far less time than the other garage.

The ground-to-arch-top measurement is about 645mm all round which may be part of the problem, so I may look at raising it a bit and/or getting adjustable top arms, but was thinking it may be better to have a trip to Center Gravity first to see if they can do a better job. They get great reviews on Porsche forums.

How much did they charge you Covkiller, if you don't mind me asking? Sorry for the ramble, but any other advice on the best way forward would be welcome guys :D

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:23 pm

£550, but Chris worked on the car from 8am until 8pm. If you want to go lower invest in adjustable top arms as I ride 62.5 front and 63.5 rear.
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Audi Pardner
4th Gear

Post by Audi Pardner » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Covkiller wrote:£550, but Chris worked on the car from 8am until 8pm. If you want to go lower invest in adjustable top arms as I ride 62.5 front and 63.5 rear.
Thanks CK. Think I'll set it all round at 650mm and get down to Center Gravity for a proper adjustment and alignment :thumbs:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”