Downpipe Removal

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
TomRS
4th Gear

Downpipe Removal

Post by TomRS » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Could anyone point me to a guide or information on how to remove the down pipes? Dads RS4 is in for x-pipe (thanks ashbash) fitting this weekend and we want to remove the secondary cats for now until its mapped with proper catless down pipes later on in the year.

Thanks!
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG S
Wrapped in OceanShimmerBlue | MSL Stage 2 – 736Bhp/876ibft | Weistec Downpipes | K&N Large Filters | 400mm AP Racing Fronts/DS2500 Pads | Centre delete | H&R Springs/Link bars 30mm |

Gone but not forgotten :smile_smoking:
2010 Nissan GT-R SVM 680R
2010 RS6 C6 Avant Stage 2 730/1088nm

daveb77
2nd Gear

Re: Downpipe Removal

Post by daveb77 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:05 pm

I may be mistaken given im an exhaust numpty but word of warning regarding d/pipe fixings. If its the section that contains the pre-cats, ive just dropped my car off at exhaust Shop to get pre-cats removed and they have decided to not even attempt to disconnect the pre-cat section from manifold given state of the fixings. Apparently could be a can of worms as experience has shown the fixings to be rotten / welded by nature in place and likely require a bit of re-work to make good. They are instead going to cut open pre-cats, gut internals and weld back up to save the above given my requirements.
Just noted you are looking at secondary cats so im probably well off in my reply! Anyway!!!
cheers,
D

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:47 pm

The downpipe contains both the pre-cats and main cats so you are right dave, there will almost certainly be an issue with the bolts snapping when trying to remove the downpipes.

rsParnell
Neutral

Post by rsParnell » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Just had my clutch done and these bolts on the downpipe were a right funker acording to the garage, they all snapped and they are a real pig to get at. No pre-cats now though☺

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Post by TAB1S » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:22 pm

It all depends on your set up & how much time you have, i did mine on a ramp & had all day.
The top ones are difficult to get to but with the right kit you can get to them, mine had been off in the past so definitely made it easier but even if they do snap once the pipe is off there is plenty of room to get the welder in if needed or to clean out/retap the tread as i did on a few.
Someone has to do it at the end of the day & there are no magic tools :thumbs:
On the plus side i took my nearside decatted down pipe off last night on the drive in 20 minutes, so much more room with out cats!
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm
Revolution intake, custom CAF, carbon clean, deflaped manifold, JHM manifold spacers, Forge oil cooler, Forge spacers, full de-cat, Scorpion cat back, Trup's LED's, 20' S5 wheels, KW V3's.
Launch control & flat shift :mrgreen:

TomRS
4th Gear

Post by TomRS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:16 pm

TAB1S wrote:It all depends on your set up & how much time you have, i did mine on a ramp & had all day.
The top ones are difficult to get to but with the right kit you can get to them, mine had been off in the past so definitely made it easier but even if they do snap once the pipe is off there is plenty of room to get the welder in if needed or to clean out/retap the tread as i did on a few.
Someone has to do it at the end of the day & there are no magic tools :thumbs:
On the plus side i took my nearside decatted down pipe off last night on the drive in 20 minutes, so much more room with out cats!

Thanks for all the replies guys, what tools will i need.. i have a ramp and they dont look "too" rusted up both bottom buts moved easily enough its the top ones im not sure how to get into.
Couldnt figure it out, so whats the best tool to remove the top nuts, i saw elsewhere using a 13mm flexi "wobbly" will work but couldnt find one anywhere but eBay and didnt want to wait.
Tightened the bolts back up and left it until i got some advice off you guys.
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG S
Wrapped in OceanShimmerBlue | MSL Stage 2 – 736Bhp/876ibft | Weistec Downpipes | K&N Large Filters | 400mm AP Racing Fronts/DS2500 Pads | Centre delete | H&R Springs/Link bars 30mm |

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:35 pm

Been having the same issue Tom.

Apparently a 13mm 1/4" universal socket is what you need!!!. I couldn't find one in 1/4" so got one in 3/8"s but that wouldn't go past the lambda on the drivers side!!!. Tried removing the lambda with the special socket and that wont budge either!!!. I am working off axle stands so that doesn't help.

Gonna admit defeat and leave it to the pro's I think!!! :bash:

TomRS
4th Gear

Post by TomRS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:41 pm

RichieRS wrote:Been having the same issue Tom.

Apparently a 13mm 1/4" universal socket is what you need!!!. I couldn't find one in 1/4" so got one in 3/8"s but that wouldn't go past the lambda on the drivers side!!!. Tried removing the lambda with the special socket and that wont budge either!!!. I am working off axle stands so that doesn't help.

Gonna admit defeat and leave it to the pro's I think!!! :bash:
Yeah that's what its looking like for me too... don't fancy having the headache of removing the downpipe and snapping stuff especially that finding a 13mm 1/4 seems impossible, i thought it would be straight forward but the Germans love making access and issue dont they!
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG S

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:36 pm

they certainly do!!. :audibash:

To be fair. I would be ok if all the studs snapped off as im happy extracting/drilling them to replace. Just cant get to the bloody thinks in the first place which is p1ssing me off.

So far completed quite a few tasks single handily on the car which includes a recent carbon clean amongst other jobs. But this really has me stumped!!!

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Post by TAB1S » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:44 pm

We left the lambadas in & unpluged them.
To remove the top nut there were no special tools 3/8 ratchet with a few extensions & not sure what it called but on the end of the last extension is rounded off so the socket angled that bit more then tap it on with hammer & a uj adaptor sorry :thumb:
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm
Revolution intake, custom CAF, carbon clean, deflaped manifold, JHM manifold spacers, Forge oil cooler, Forge spacers, full de-cat, Scorpion cat back, Trup's LED's, 20' S5 wheels, KW V3's.

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:04 pm

TAB1S wrote:We left the lambadas in & unpluged them.
To remove the top nut there were no special tools 3/8 ratchet with a few extensions & not sure what it called but on the end of the last extension is rounded off so the socket angled that bit more then tap it on with hammer & a uj adaptor sorry :thumb:

I can't even get the wires unplugged, or even off the clips for that matter. So that was me bollox@d lol

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Post by TAB1S » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:43 am

RichieRS wrote:
TAB1S wrote:We left the lambadas in & unpluged them.

I can't even get the wires unplugged, or even off the clips for that matter. So that was me bollox@d lol
Lol, can't help you there buddy sorry
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm

TomRS
4th Gear

Post by TomRS » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:57 am

Sounds like im going to have lots of fun in the unit this weekend....
2014 Mercedes E63 AMG S

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”