A few annoying things with my car

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: A few annoying things with my car

Post by MikeFish » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Sounds like you are talking about drone. The non-res really drones at aboit 1800rpm. The resonated version is much better but you say you already have the resonated version? If so maybe you have a low tolerance level to drone (some don't mind it as the cost for a noisy exhaust but others are driven mad by it) and you need to go back to stock or a modified stock exhaust (which is what I am most happiest with).
I have too much mechanical sympathy to drive my car with no lift shift, can't be good for the driveline. But the stage 2 MRC map is a fantastic mod which won't make your car much faster but it will feel faster and be much more fun to drive in sport mode. I'm not sure from your last post if throttle response is what you are complaining about though.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:23 pm

MRC can add flat shift and launch control to their stage 2 map if you want it. It's not going to be kind on your clutch or cars. But then, if that's what you are after and want more noise, you could decat it and get an unrated clutch when the time comes.

I'm with Mike though, I wouldn't personally feel the need for it.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:48 am

MikeFish wrote:I'm not sure from your last post if throttle response is what you are complaining about though.
x2 Mike.

Sounds like the ESP system cutting power which RichieRS alluded to earlier. I don't think the OP fully switched off ESP and the torque is being cut, when you come on power after the gear change. The pause/hesitation is most noticeable on a full bore 2nd - 3rd gear change.

When I first got mine, I thought the hesitation was a torque limiter, as you can feel it happen, yet no ESP would light up showing the systems intervention. People suggested switching the ESP fully off by pressing and holding so that the ESP light becomes solid, and the problem goes away - I was sceptical, but it worked.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Tom Pearce
Neutral

Post by Tom Pearce » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:58 am

I will be trying the esp trick on my way home tonight.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Tom Pearce
Neutral

Post by Tom Pearce » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:17 pm

Small update on normal / spirited road driving.

The esp thing worked a treat! So thanks to those that suggested it. I honestly can't believe how much of a difference it has made, even to sedate town driving. Before there would sometimes be some undue (I want to say clunking and banging but not that bad) stuff going on between gear changes. I always put this down to my driving style, but this has now turned into silky smooth gear changes and a car that drives the same as, well, a normal car.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:06 am

Funny, I've never had an issue with leaving the ESP on other than the odd bog down a handful of times. Maybe im not thrashing it enough.

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:41 pm

MikeFish wrote:Funny, I've never had an issue with leaving the ESP on other than the odd bog down a handful of times. Maybe im not thrashing it enough.
I mostly notice it starts happening more frequently when I switch to less grippy winter tires. That being said, it almost seems like a "mood" thing for the car. It's been a long time since I felt it happen even though the roads have been crap. I've not found the issue to be very consistent, some cars may be more prone to it than others.

It only merged for the first time when I moved away from the stock ECU map so I'm guessing a car on the stock ECU would less likely to do it, maybe most tunes are more aggressive in opening the throttle body after a shift.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:51 pm

Tom Pearce wrote:Small update on normal / spirited road driving.

The esp thing worked a treat! So thanks to those that suggested it. I honestly can't believe how much of a difference it has made, even to sedate town driving. Before there would sometimes be some undue (I want to say clunking and banging but not that bad) stuff going on between gear changes. I always put this down to my driving style, but this has now turned into silky smooth gear changes and a car that drives the same as, well, a normal car.

:thumb:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”