Radiator fan issue? Getting a little desperate please help

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
TAB1S
3rd Gear

Radiator fan issue? Getting a little desperate please help

Post by TAB1S » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi guys i drove my car tonight, only about 5miles so didn't really get up to temp & when i stopped the fans worked as normal then cut out also as expected then probably 5-10 minutes late they kicked back in? So i locked the car & nothing happened the put the key in the ignition & it went off briefly then back on intermittently and was showing no sign of stopping for good!
Has anyone else had this issue? I disconnect the battery in the end.
Thanks
Just to update i took it to Auditechnic to be diagnosed but there was nothing regarding the fans, rad etc?
But every did work fine yesterday, i moved the car today the engine was running for no longer than 2 minutes & the fans have been on ever since 4hrs now! Mainly on but stopping occasionally? Even when i open the door the stop for 30 or so seconds???
Iv had the bumper off and disconnected a few thing but can only get the right hand fan off.
Please help any suggestions welcome just need to get them off to save my battery!
I have recently done a coolant change btw could i have ballsed something up?
Drained old coolant, filled up new ran the car up to temp with the cap off.
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm
Revolution intake, custom CAF, carbon clean, deflaped manifold, JHM manifold spacers, Forge oil cooler, Forge spacers, full de-cat, Scorpion cat back, Trup's LED's, 20' S5 wheels, KW V3's.
Launch control & flat shift :mrgreen:

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Re: Radiator fan issue? Getting a little desperate please he

Post by TAB1S » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:15 pm

Any suggestions? They r still going!
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm
Revolution intake, custom CAF, carbon clean, deflaped manifold, JHM manifold spacers, Forge oil cooler, Forge spacers, full de-cat, Scorpion cat back, Trup's LED's, 20' S5 wheels, KW V3's.

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:41 pm

TAB1S wrote:Any suggestions? They r still going!
Just had a quick search on the B7 RS4 forum by typing "fan relays" and several posts regarding fans staying on, I would guess you have a relay fault, they are under the ECU's

If your handy with the Spanners it's not to big a job, I have done this job myself, and the relays are cheap

If you want to stop the fans whilst you resolve it, disconnect the battery in the boot, then plan how your going to resolve it

Or do you have vcds?
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

thedoluk
2nd Gear

Post by thedoluk » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:22 pm

I had this issue, it was due to water getting in to the ecu box and filling it up. You have to remove the wipers and bit of trim at bottom of windscreen to get to it.
Had to replace all relays and clean it up in there and . The way the water gets in is through the hole where wiring loom comes in the side of box. Sorted that problem and also drilled a small hole to let any water out in case it still gets in. It's odd actually on my car it looked like there should be a hole there where I drilled it but the blanking plate was not removed. There is even a little pipe to collect the water and direct it away.
Daytona Avant - Optics - Titanium pack - MRC 464.6ps 513Nm - H&R ARBs + Springs - Apikol Diff mount - 034 Tranny mount - JHM Shifter

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:35 pm

I was amazed that that whole trim that goes over the wiper arm stubs was only £17.50 from the stealers! I thought it would cost + £100, so I changed it

It takes about an hour to get to the relays, replace and refit
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Post by TAB1S » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:13 pm

Thanks alot guys! I didn't get time tonight so have removed the fues for now, i did a little research last week & asked tps for a price on the fan control module & they are £200! Each! And there's 2!!
Thank you agin for you help :beerchug:
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:28 pm

I think the relays are about £15 each,
RS4 B7 Avant,2007

mongo
2nd Gear

Post by mongo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:14 pm

this may be of assistance
ECU Relays.pdf
(80.34 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:52 pm

fan control nodule probably has water in it, theres 1 that will most likely be the culprit on top of the slam panel brlow the audi rings

mongo
2nd Gear

Post by mongo » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:12 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:fan control nodule probably has water in it, theres 1 that will most likely be the culprit on top of the slam panel brlow the audi rings
There was this post which backs similar symptoms up too: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=63930&p=204035

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Post by TAB1S » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:11 pm

mongo wrote:this may be of assistance
ECU Relays.pdf
Thanks mate spot on.
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Post by TAB1S » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:fan control nodule probably has water in it, theres 1 that will most likely be the culprit on top of the slam panel brlow the audi rings
Hi Rick, i tried disconnecting it yesterday hoping to stop them but it only stopped the one near side fan? Apparently there are 2 control modules presumably one for each fan but I couldn't see the other one anywhere?
What makes you think its the control module & not the relays as others suggested?
Thanks
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”