Mapping help

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Mapping help

Post by MikeFish » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:21 pm

As standard there is a slight difference between the 2 modes. It feels a little jerkier in sport mode i.e. when you accelerate it's a little less smooth. the best way to notice is if you press and release the accelerator quickly quite a few times it will kangaroo more in sport mode than in normal mode.

As for the clutch, I'm pretty sure some of the suppercharged cars still use standard clutches. And even with all these mods you'll only be making just slightly more than factory power figures unless you have the engine carbo cleaned regularly.

Briggy
2nd Gear

Post by Briggy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:28 pm

I'm one of the lucky few that bought my RS4 B7 with the MRC Stage 2 remap already on. I occasionally forget to press the sport button and think there's something wrong with the car - the difference is that obvious. The BHP figures are misleading as it's a mathematical function based on torque and rpm (look it up). My point being that torque is more important at low rpm as by definition, BHP will be low. The MRC remap sorts this, which results in better acceleration, which is the important bit that makes you smile! Plus, you don't get the kick at 5,000 rpm as it's already breathing properly all the way to the redline. Simply ask anyone who's had it done if they regret it or think it was a waste of money. That should be enough evidence.

If you live anywhere near me (near Cheltenham), I'd be happy to take you for a blast so you can compare.

Cheers,
Bryan

daveb77
2nd Gear

Post by daveb77 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:57 pm

again im striving to find some reviews for APR on the B7 RS4... Can get a carbon clean and APR in Glasgow or east coast Scotland which is more palatable than all way to MRC. If only they did a remote map option as it really does sound amazing!
D

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:00 am

S4player used to travel from Glasgow to MRC for his B7.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:20 am

Briggy wrote:Plus, you don't get the kick at 5,000 rpm as it's already breathing properly all the way to the redline.
The kick should still be there mate, unless your lower air box flap actuator is knackered.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:21 am

toyneg wrote:another vote for MRC and I had an AMD map before getting MRC to work their magic. the difference is night and day.
+1 on this. I didn't think it was going to be the case, but it was.

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:12 am

marc1 wrote:
Briggy wrote:Plus, you don't get the kick at 5,000 rpm as it's already breathing properly all the way to the redline.
The kick should still be there mate, unless your lower air box flap actuator is knackered.
+2

The kick is still there with an MRC Stage 2 remap.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

daveb77
2nd Gear

Post by daveb77 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:17 pm

MikeFish wrote:S4player used to travel from Glasgow to MRC for his B7.
I know it will be worth it, drive doesnt bother me would be epic on way home just the day or so / overnight stay potentially etc etc whilst work is undertaken...

Anyway something to plan in new year, possible local manifold and pre cat works and simply remap at MRC to save time down south as it were...

Cheers

D

S4Player
Top Gear

Post by S4Player » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Mrc have manifolds all ready done so you can exchange them. Well I'm sure they used to anyway, I always stayed at the hotel round the corner when the car was down for work. Built up a good friendship with a few of the mrc lads and had many a good night out. They are top notch
1*** hp TTE C6 rs6 saloon and the ultimate WB B5

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:56 pm

I will never forget the first time I drove mine after MRC had sorted it out, it was like a completely different animal, I was shocked
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

Brooner
Cruising

Post by Brooner » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:47 pm

i would agree with Mike the throttle response is far quicker and the car just seems to want to rev easier to that might have been the carbon clean though did a back to back with a mate that had a similar mileage RS4 and there was a big difference in the throttle response and free revving but as for power its debatable
as far as tuners go MRC all the way i drove from Aberdeen twice when i had my B7 first was carbon clean and re map head ported and flowed the 2nd was for a carbon clean 15k later as far as RS's are concerned they are the Daddys hands down
2018 B9 RS4 Navarra Blue
2013 B8 RS4 Sepang Blue
2007 B7 RS4 Avant Sprint Blue
2001 B5 RS4 Nogaro Blue
1998 B5 S4 Avant Kingfisher Blue
1993 B4 S2 Avant laser Red

Briggy
2nd Gear

Post by Briggy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:17 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
marc1 wrote:
+2

The kick is still there with an MRC Stage 2 remap.

Yip, you guys are right. Just been for blast and sure enough, a nice extra shove at about 5,500rpm. Must have read somewhere that it's no longer there after remap and just accepted it as the truth. When I went for a blast, it just felt as it always does, but I'd just got used to it to the point where I'd stopped noticing. :oops:

Cheers,
Bryan

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:16 pm

The "kick" will still exist after a remap but not as strongly because the throttle is already fully open when the cams go aggressive. Another way of putting it would be that a standard car has a double strength kick of sorts as it increases the throttle angle at the same time.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:09 pm

The kick shown on a dyno plot of a deflapped MRC stage 2 car...

2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

daveb77
2nd Gear

Post by daveb77 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:34 am

Thread resurrection sorry...
Now have pre-cats gutted and booked into MRC next Friday for Stage 2 only. Really can’t wait.
Any advice for my journey down (plan to leave Renfrew at 02:00 am to get to MRC for opening) and travel back in the afternoon all going well : )
Will take a challenge to nurse it down and sadly see what MPG i can get and of course enjoy the Stg 2 on way back : )
I think ill keep cold start as i like it and likley just go for no other frills with the map. Keen to keep non sports as similar as it is now for wife duties. Not going for CC this time (not the point of this post to discuss pro / cons sorry) but may do so more locally depending what MRC determine from dyno runs.
Daft question I know but the sports mode post map will still of course control valves as per standard map? I like the quieter ride when car full of non car interested people etc...
Quite excited now as all that has been state dis the MRC Stg 2 really does change this machine for the better : )

D

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”