Bucket backs

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Bucket backs

Post by MikeFish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:47 pm

Not sure you can take the backs off without completely stripping the seat into a million parts.

mongo
2nd Gear

Post by mongo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:01 pm

MikeFish wrote:Not sure you can take the backs off without completely stripping the seat into a million parts.
Not doubting the majority of it will, however in one of the shots the passenger seat foam/leather is folded down, with what looks like the base of the seat frame still bolted to the floor, so it looks like they were possibly done in situ. Though that it may be easier to just undo the seat frame bolts and take them out and easier to work with...

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:27 pm

I tookthe drivers side out to do that one but doing the passanger 1 i undone all 4 main frame seat bolts so it could be moved around a bit an stripped it down in the car. To be honsest it is a lot easyer to take the seat out an do it.
I just pealed the leather off undone the wiring loom an one air pipe from one pump, removed side plastics an there are two spline bolts either side that attach the back to the base.
Once removed the back will come away with all the pump and bolster air bags.
Hope this helps abit.
Should end up somthing like this but minus the masking tape :thumbs:
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

Gone-audi s3 8p stage2+ with loba lo400 turbo.

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:32 pm

MikeFish wrote:I tried wrapping first. I sturggled to get all the wrinkles out of the side panels but got it good enough that nobody else could see it due it being small wrinkles and almost underneath the seat. And I almost mastered the seat belt hoops but not quite. Also, when spraying I got to paint the actual seat belt hoop trimmings which make a big difference to me. Makes the seats stad out when looking from the front too.
Luke it looks like you painted the rear part of the seat belt hoop trims but not the front. Is that right? If so, why didn't you do the front part too?
Sorry mike forgot to reply
I didnt do the hoops because i didnt want the gloss black to clash tomuch with the leather, i thought i would see how it looks first an get the hoops done at another time if liked it.
Current-saloon rs4,Full decat Xpipe miltek,cold air feed,BMC air filter, TTS supercharged, MRC stage 3 L/C F/S,hell s+s brake lines,AP racing rotors + vagbremtechnic bells, kw v3s clifford 650mk2

ASC
3rd Gear

Post by ASC » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Luke, how hard would it be to strip the back right down so it's just the shell? I'm looking into dipping as well but it would need to be completely stripped with nothing else attached.
Current - 07 Sprint Blue RS4 Avant Black optics / Buckets / FBSW / MRC Stage 2 / De flapped Manifold / CAF / BMC filter / Decat / Non Res Miltek / Bilstein B16's / Tarox discs, pads and lines / H&R ARBs / 19x9.5 Ispiri ISR1 wheels / MPSS tyres / DTM carbon splitter
Previous - 06 Sprint Blue B7 S4 Avant JHM 91 tune / 2.5" Custom Cat-less DP's / Miltek Non Res Cat back / BMC filter / H&R springs / 19" Fox MS007 wheels/Good Year F1's / EBC TG discs / Yellow stuff pads

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:48 pm

ASC wrote:Luke, how hard would it be to strip the back right down so it's just the shell? I'm looking into dipping as well but it would need to be completely stripped with nothing else attached.
The problem is that there alot glued to the seat back like the foam housing that holds the pumps an valves in an also there are two hinges in there for the side bolsters, an if i remember correctly there is a strap type thing glued in for the center airbag, i suppose if you take lots of photos before stripping it down im sure you could use hot glue gun or similar to glue back in place.

ASC
3rd Gear

Post by ASC » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks for that mate. Sounds like a lot of work. Dipping might not be an option then as the whole seat back needs to be submerged. Painting it is.
Current - 07 Sprint Blue RS4 Avant Black optics / Buckets / FBSW / MRC Stage 2 / De flapped Manifold / CAF / BMC filter / Decat / Non Res Miltek / Bilstein B16's / Tarox discs, pads and lines / H&R ARBs / 19x9.5 Ispiri ISR1 wheels / MPSS tyres / DTM carbon splitter
Previous - 06 Sprint Blue B7 S4 Avant JHM 91 tune / 2.5" Custom Cat-less DP's / Miltek Non Res Cat back / BMC filter / H&R springs / 19" Fox MS007 wheels/Good Year F1's / EBC TG discs / Yellow stuff pads

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:25 pm

Why don't you have it carbon skinned instead? Looks so much better than dipping too. It was my first choice for the back of the cast but there were at least 2 cars on here that had just had it done at the time and i wanted to do something a bit different .

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:25 pm

Young kids ( if you have any) would inevitably kick the back of the seats and probably mark a painted seat back, despite how much you threaten them with a painful / immediate death for doing it...

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:45 pm

No problems with mine. Just make sure kids only wear soft soled shoes. And mine are white.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:47 pm

And if you're concerned you could add a clear wrap over the top (and trim just before the seat belt hoops to avoid messing it up).

Lukes3
4th Gear

Post by Lukes3 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Just ban the kids like i have :thumbs: or there is the boot lol

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”