Weird pimpling on lacquer!!!!!

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
RichieRS
4th Gear

Weird pimpling on lacquer!!!!!

Post by RichieRS » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Hi guys.

Hoping someone will be able to have some idea what's occurring here??

Basically. Not driven the car for about 3 weeks now. Just been sat in the driveway.

So come to move it to its new home (just moved house) and noticed some pimpling of the lacquer on the bonnet!!!. This is only in the bonnet and no other panel. I was the car regularly and never seen it before. You can feel the when you run your hand over the bonnet. They are perfectly clear and not blisters. They feel solid and can't pick them off with my nail either. Tried a light cutting compound to no effect!!!.

Here's a few poor pics

i know the bonnet has been sprayed before but I've had the car for a year now and it's seen all seasons and many washes previously!!!!

Any ideas on why this happened and what the remedial action would be to sort this would be great!

Shoppinit
Cruising

Re: Weird pimpling on lacquer!!!!!

Post by Shoppinit » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Looks like a slow chemical reaction that's pushing up bubbles of gas.

Well, actually it looks like corrosion, but you say it's just the lacquer.
Daytona RS6 C5 Avant. Viper'd, Billies, Waggers, MTM box brain, C6 stoppers, xcarlink, R8 coolant cap (woohoo)
///M3 E46 | XC90 (V8, natch) | Passat GTE | RR Classic V8 flapper
"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Shoppinit wrote:Looks like a slow chemical reaction that's pushing up bubbles of gas.

Well, actually it looks like corrosion, but you say it's just the lacquer.

Yep. Looks just like spots of lacquer as they are clear!!. Tried picking at the them and they aren't lifting or coming off. Think the bonnet was sprayed 2-3 years ago now and this has only just shown up literally from nothing to quite bad over a few weeks!!!

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Bad paint job, most body shops use cheap paint too, that doesn't help

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:18 pm

RIV wrote:Bad paint job, most body shops use cheap paint too, that doesn't help

Yeah perhaps!!! Would it take 2 years or so for it to show up ???

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Poor paintwork , a body Shop will be able to flat it back .

jaysrs4
5th Gear

Post by jaysrs4 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:16 pm

That's osmosis where the paint has absorbed the moisture in the air. All paint does this, however badly prepped primer will have contaminants in it, mixed with absorbed moisture in the air, the paint lifts.

Try getting out the hair dryer and if you heat the area, some may recede. But that's a repaint job I'm afraid. It can happen behind the top coat right through to the primer, with you leaving the car for a period of time, it's given the moisture time to build up.

Hate to say it but if you'd had a cover over the car it wouldn't have happened - obviously it shouldn't happen anyway though!

RS04YOB
4th Gear

Post by RS04YOB » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:25 pm

I had something similar with mine the lacquer went dull water was trapped water not sure if its the same, I kept spraying the effected area with isopropyl alcohol that draw the water out eventually, could be worth a punt,

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:03 pm

Cheers for all the suggestions guys. Massively appreciated :thumbs:

Sort of resided myself to a respray as Jay has suggested so will give the other options (isopropyl, flat back) just to see what occurs anyway.

Bloody nightmare hey. Car is off the road now until spring so no rush to get it sorted .

Cheers again guys for the help

johnnydog
3rd Gear

Post by johnnydog » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:20 pm

Another term, I think, is micro blistering which is caused by moisture in the layers of paint underneath. I understand it happens if paint is applied over a prep'd surface that hasn't dried sufficiently i.e after wet flatting. Definitely looks like it.......

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:23 pm

johnnydog wrote:Another term, I think, is micro blistering which is caused by moisture in the layers of paint underneath. I understand it happens if paint is applied over a prep'd surface that hasn't dried sufficiently i.e after wet flatting. Definitely looks like it.......

Certainly a strange occurance and even more so as it's been fine for the best part of 3 years. Oh well. I guess getting the bonnet re-done puts in line with the bumper and wings and stone chip free lol

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”