Curious if buckets are mirrors of each other

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
iduff
1st Gear

Curious if buckets are mirrors of each other

Post by iduff » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:57 pm

For those of us on the other side of the water, I'm curious if the buckets are mirror images of each other, or if there's any appreciable difference between driver and passenger sides. For example, the left and right comforts in my US-spec are different. The thigh bolster on the left-hand driver's side can be extended, but the right-hand passenger side cannot. The driver's side has seat memory, but I suspect that's a memory module that's independent of the seat itself.

Could one buy UK-spec buckets and swap them into a US-spec car, simply by putting the UK passenger side in the US driver side location, and vice versa, and move the US driver's side memory module from the outgoing former US driver's side comfort to the incoming former UK passenger side bucket?

Failing that bit of trickery, might it be possible to swap any side-specific bits, like seat belt latches, seat position controls, etc, if the UK driver's side and passenger sides are indeed different, to enable putting the UK right side driver's seat in the US left side driver's position?

Exploring options, curious minds need to know, etc....
B7 RS4 Sedan, Phantom Black Pearl
Valved non-resonated Milltek with 200-cell DPs, and JHM tune, 10mm spacers
B8.5 Allroad, Monsoon Grey
CPO, stock

Former Quattros
B5 S4 Sedan, C4 S6 Avant, Type 89 Coupe Quattro, Type 44 Quattro Sedan

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Curious if buckets are mirrors of each other

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:55 pm

I can't think of any differences. Are the mounting bolts all in the same place? I seem to recall some preivious cars had staggered mounting points but I think the b7 has level ones.
The drivers side inflates with sport mode activation but I suspect that is done via ecu rather than the seat itself.

chuckiceman
1st Gear

Post by chuckiceman » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 pm

Mike - Just Curious, so if the side bolsters inflate via an ecu map, do you think it would be possible to map it to inflate the passenger seat aswell? Someone will probably tell me why but always wondered why both seats don't inflate!
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | Carbon Clean | De-flapped | Non Res Milltek | MTM Spacers |

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:28 pm

I'm not sure if it is done via ecu, via a hardcoded control module or the seat itself. If its ecu then maybe possible to map to both seats. If its a hardcoded control module then you could probably buy a right hand drive one and swap for your current one (unless there is just one module for both seats). Sorry, not much help, just specculating.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:56 pm

Pretty sure the drivers side seat has some extra electrical connections underneath. If I remember rightly they are coloured coded and the drivers one has an extra colour.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 pm

I've tried swapping over an upper leather from the passenger to driver’s side and it was far too big. So they're certainly not mirrored, which did surprise me some a little.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

davers6
3rd Gear

Post by davers6 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:05 am

Surrey Sam wrote:I've tried swapping over an upper leather from the passenger to driver’s side and it was far too big. So they're certainly not mirrored, which did surprise me some a little.

Really? Damn one of my next plans was to buy a pair and put the passenger covers on my drivers then vice versa
and sell them on guess I won't be doing that then!

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:44 am

That was my intention as well. Fortunately I didn't buy a new passenger set first as that'd have been a £900 mistake.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

iduff
1st Gear

Post by iduff » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Thanks for all the inputs here. Given all of this, plus staring at the parts diagrams in ETKA, it would appear that swapping US comforts with UK buckets will verge on an heroic effort, or at least a lot of niggling details to sort out. Far easier to find LHD buckets straight away.
B7 RS4 Sedan, Phantom Black Pearl
Valved non-resonated Milltek with 200-cell DPs, and JHM tune, 10mm spacers
B8.5 Allroad, Monsoon Grey
CPO, stock

Former Quattros
B5 S4 Sedan, C4 S6 Avant, Type 89 Coupe Quattro, Type 44 Quattro Sedan

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”