Putting "Engine Carbon Clean" to the Test

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Putting

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:53 pm

Last edited by FaisalJ on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

maars
3rd Gear

Re: Putting "Engine Carbon Clean" to the Test

Post by maars » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:04 am

Great video and summary of the day.

Let's see what MRC report back...
Daytona RS4 Avant - black optics/decat downpipes/H-pipe/KW springs - featured on the 2012 Audi stand at the Goodwood FoS

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:50 am

Can't get the video to play

FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Putting

Post by FaisalJ » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:15 pm

Rw@@dy wrote:Can't get the video to play
That's weird, seems to work on PC but I can't get it working on my phone through tapatalk unless I switch to "webview" (top right hand side menu with the 3 dots on my iphone.)
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Rw@@dy
4th Gear

Post by Rw@@dy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Good video! Watched it back how you suggested. My rs4 is going back on a rr in December so I'll be interested see what it comes back at

gilly
2nd Gear

Post by gilly » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Good vid & a fair summary at the end bud. Car looks sweet btw.
Misano Red| Black Optics| Black alloys| Black mirrors| Full CC at MRC| MRC Stage 2 Manifold| MRC Stage 2 Remap| De-Catted| KW V3 with H&R Fr & rear ARB| H&R Hubcentric spacers 8mm Fr, 10mm rear| A few choice CF goodies to go on|

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:42 pm

Looking at the Golf's internals it's lLear there was still a fair amount of carbon build up left to be honest, but if you had a proper clean done and had this system done once or twice a year it may work better in keeping it clean.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:03 am

docurley wrote:Looking at the Golf's internals it's lLear there was still a fair amount of carbon build up left to be honest, but if you had a proper clean done and had this system done once or twice a year it may work better in keeping it clean.
Yeah, the valves didn't really look much like the "after" pic on their website!

If there truly is any benefit to this process, and it really can clean any carbon upstream of the combustion chamber, I think you're right that it would only remove light deposits after a recent clean.

I'm hoping another RS4 owner picks up the baton from me and could do some more testing. It would be good to see into the RS4 intake with a good quality borescope instead of my cheapo one from amazon.
Post by gilly » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:59 pm

Good vid & a fair summary at the end bud. Car looks sweet btw.
Thanks!!

My wife had a good laugh at how sad I am for making this video haha.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:24 am

My missus thinks I'm sad just being associated with you guys so nothing new. :biggrin3:
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:35 am

Well, yeah to "outsiders" we're just a sad bunch of blokes who spend too much time obsessing over their hobby! Pah! Could be worse, what if I was obsessed with something like golf? Or stamps?

Anyway...One other thing just came up when discussing the vid with Will (the Jag XJS owner) this morning. The system purports to take water and generate hydrogen, we assume through electrolysis. This would also of course produce oxygen.

Cuppa, perhaps you know the answer to this...but is the oxygen gas separated from the hydrogen somehow?

Otherwise, what's getting fed into the engine is a mixture of pure hydrogen and pure oxygen. I'd imagine this would make the combustion much more efficient (and therefore hotter), which might have some cleaning effect in the combustion chamber and exhaust.

EDIT. Aha! Similar product explains a bit more...

http://keipertech.com/hydrogen-products ... -cleaning/

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that this may well work for cleaning inside the cylinders and exhaust through extra heat and more flow of hot gases, but will not do much at all for carbon in the intake.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

Cuppa
2nd Gear

Post by Cuppa » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:56 pm

FaisalJ wrote:Cuppa, perhaps you know the answer to this...but is the oxygen gas separated from the hydrogen somehow?
No separation, the oxygen is integral to the process.
S5 Supercharged V8 Coupe - Meteor Grey / Magma
TTS Supercharger (601PS / 675Nm) | Capristo Valved Exhaust | KW DDC Coilovers | JHM Short-Throw Shifter | HRE P104 21x10.5" + PSS
Ceramic Brakes (R8 GT Front / S7 Rear) | RS5 bootlid | Rieger S5 bumper | Rieger Sideskirts | RS5 grille | SPC adjustable UCA
H&R ARB kit | custom stereo & more |
Fuelly | >> click for build thread << | Facebook Page

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:09 pm

My car's at MRC for a couple of days, to diagnose why it's down on power (made 380ps ~ 375bhp on their rollers this morning).

On the advice of Doug and Ben, have given the go ahead to pull the manifold and have a look inside. We're also not sure if the car was previously deflapped. If not, might get that done too. Good opportunity to get some pics, so we can see what's going on inside with regard to carbon following the hydrogen clean a month ago

Place your bets now...
faisel hc rs40001.jpg
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:33 pm

Did they confirm there were no vac leaks? Kev would know if it was deflapped surely?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:11 pm

I'd be surprised if even an MRC cleaned engine wasn't coked up again after a month of normal usage.

S4Player
Top Gear

Post by S4Player » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Seen pics on Instagram seems like the hydro clean done absolutely F all
1*** hp TTE C6 rs6 saloon and the ultimate WB B5

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”