Buckets stolen South London (2nd time)

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Buckets stolen South London (2nd time)

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:21 pm

Really sorry to hear this! I hope the police catch the thieves

This is getting me worried as I'm not a million miles away.

I think I'll be investing in a IP CCTV camera covering the driveway at least. What other security measures can you take against this?
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:37 pm

Cap the seat bolts off ? or change them for a locking nut (like a wheel nut) at least they wont be able to undo them to take them out. only problem is then if they don't get them out they will wreck them or burn it . type of people they are .

RichieRS
4th Gear

Post by RichieRS » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:38 pm

I guess putting some different bolts would be a help but I would want to deter them before they got that far personally.

I fitted a Clifford as soon as I bought my RS. It's stupidly loud and has proximity sensors to warn away which are very good. Heard a lot about Clifford's being crap prior to owning this one but it's been excellent so far.

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:04 pm

B8 SuperSport seats will fit fine

audi_do_dat_den
3rd Gear

Post by audi_do_dat_den » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:06 pm

The thought of this happening boils my blood.... gutted for you mate. Hope you get a satisfactory solution with the insurers.

Whenever i see RS4 Recaros on ebay, especially being sold by a trader, i always wonder how they came to be there.
Yes, there are owners who swap out for the comfort seats, but they would generally sell them privately.

Almost a good reason to micro-dot the inside of the padding on Recaros just in case they disappear and an ebay trader offers some up shortly afterwards.....

All futile i guess, if the <beep>-heads of this world want something, they'll take it regardless.....

kd
3rd Gear

Post by kd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks guys, I think if I got another set they would be welded in or something with a Sticker or something to deter them from even trying. Knowing scum like that if they break in and find the seats welded I am sure they would do something stupid to the car... Thanks for the link and good spot on the scuff on headrest, you are right, the only way that would scuff would be being dragged. Unless I put a physical deterrent I think I am back to comforts or another similar seat that would fit. The closest parking to me is a minute or so walk, and so I am never able to keep an eye on the car... and thats the thing, thats why I always double check the car is alarmed before leaving it (especially the last couple days with the buckets in) so I just dont understand how they got in. The rear seats were folded down which I never did. The police say it could be a signal jammer or cloner or they have had quite a few instances where the seats have been stolen and in the Audis they had the emergency plastic key slotted in the glovebox so when seats are stolen they take the key if its there and wait for insurance to replace the seats and they have a key to get back in. I dont ever remember seeing the small key in the glovebox and I dont have the car right now so cant check (I never had the plastic key, only a spare). The flatbed driver said he went to two recently in SW London where the cars were on the driveway and they took the full interior. He certainly knew his cars so I know he wasnt mistaking it for another audi. I should find out what the insurance company says once a estimate is given to them.. Thanks very much, I will have a look out for the B8 supersports.

gilly
2nd Gear

Post by gilly » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:02 pm

Really feel for you bud, not nice when you work hard for nice things in life & some scumbag decides they'll help themselves to your stuff!
Misano Red| Black Optics| Black alloys| Black mirrors| Full CC at MRC| MRC Stage 2 Manifold| MRC Stage 2 Remap| De-Catted| KW V3 with H&R Fr & rear ARB| H&R Hubcentric spacers 8mm Fr, 10mm rear| A few choice CF goodies to go on|

jaysrs4
5th Gear

Post by jaysrs4 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:16 pm

I know everyone has the right to own a desirable vehicle no matter where they live, but why give yourself the grief and worry by owning such a desirable car and having to leave it parked by the roadside a minutes walk away from where you live? Is it seriously worth it?

If I was you, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. The only way I could ever live with owning a performance car is garaged, full stop. Sad times I know, but I like to mitigate grief in my life! Utter scum, feel for you mate.

kd
3rd Gear

Post by kd » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:32 pm

I think its just part of living in London, I love cars and look forward to driving mine everyday. I hate the fact that scum do this and make ownership of nice cars more troublesome but not being at arms length has never really bothered me (the last 20 years now I have been living in apartments where I can not see or hear my car alarm at night). If I ever saw someone causing damage I would go mental at them i' m sure but in these instances I don't take it personally :-) life is too short for that. :beerchug:

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:02 pm

So sorry to hear that - what terrible luck.

I have fitted a Clifford as keeps the original key operation although more sophisticated alarms are available that will page you when activated.

I also loctited the seat bolts and filled their heads with sikkaflex.

If you try buckets again you may also want to consider data tagging the seats - use a saddle kit.

Good luck with Admiral at least the damage to the car isn't huge.

Bogyoch
Neutral

Post by Bogyoch » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:42 am

HYFR wrote:B8 SuperSport seats will fit fine
I have those same seats in my B6 tdi.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:58 am

I'm surprised insurance companies are not insisting on data tagging now. Not sure how effective it would be but if a thief saw a data tag Sticker (and it was widely known that us owners all started tagging seats) in the window would he bother still trying?

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:16 am

Mike - You just gave me a thought, I may get this:

https://shop.smartwater.com/vehicle.html

At £25/year it's negligible cost and hopefully the Stickers would act as some deterrent.

I've also been thinking about a CCTV system for a while, I think I'm going for it now! 4 cameras covering front and rear entrances to the house, and driveway. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B ... 11&sr=8-11

Failing all that, maybe we should all just retrim our seats with our names stitched into them, much like the name labels my Mum would have stitched into my school clothes!

Kd - Hope you get it sorted mate, really gutted for you. Keep us updated.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

kd
3rd Gear

Post by kd » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Something certainly needs to be done. My claim handler at Admiral was very familiar with these RS4 seats and she knew how bad it was a couple years ago (which is nice to know that they are aware and not the normal reaction of shock "oh my god they took your seats" I think these seats need a tracking system so they can be easily identified to the car or owner or a GPS type tracker hidden somewhere in the seat. I will post pictures up of the seat as they had a distinctive tear on the bolster incase anyone sees some for sale soon.

mikep99
4th Gear

Post by mikep99 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:44 pm

How about a tracker in each seat? Could be hidden internally?
Cheap ones can be found online, charged via USB. Can be permanently charging and if the seats are taken the battery takes over.
I appreciate this won't stop the theft in the first place but should help in locating them after the incident..

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”