Anyone else think they will never sell

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
S4WON
Top Gear

Re: Anyone else think they will never sell

Post by S4WON » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:47 am

The B7 is a beast, no doubt and the only reason I sold mine was because the Mrs couldnt get on with a manual.

Now im back in the B8 RS, it is 100% the perfect family car. My misses loves it, i love it, the kids love it. Its going nowhere.

This king is dead! Long live the king! :)

22B
4th Gear

Post by 22B » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm

Never really thought I'd ever sell mine either but 'never' is a very long time! I had it for 5.5 years and still think its the best all round car I've ever had.

Simply, life is too short to be tied to one car for too long, no matter how good. I managed to do the man maths and keep it for a bit longer after I bought the 'other' RS, but in the end I had see sense to sell it to make up a deposit on holiday cottage :cry:

The GT3RS will be a keeper though...... :)
Current;
Porsche 997.1 GT3RS. Pure Orange, ceramics, etc, Sharkwerks exhaust
BMW 2002 restomod; Turbo body kit, S14 M3 Evo engine and lots more
Audi Q3 Black edition Quattro

Previously enjoyed;
Ibis White B7 RS4 Avant : TTS Supercharged 615ps/614 nm
Subaru Impreza 22B
Noble M400
TVR 400SE
Lotus Sunbeam Avon

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:29 pm

22B wrote:Never really thought I'd ever sell mine either but 'never' is a very long time! I had it for 5.5 years and still think its the best all round car I've ever had.

Simply, life is too short to be tied to one car for too long, no matter how good. I managed to do the man maths and keep it for a bit longer after I bought the 'other' RS, but in the end I had see sense to sell it to make up a deposit on holiday cottage :cry:

The GT3RS will be a keeper though...... :)
if I had a GT3RS with Sharkwerks exhaust it might be a different conversation haha :)
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:08 pm

FaisalJ wrote:If the B8 RS4 was a manual, I could see myself changing in a couple of years...but since it isn't, I really don't know what else I'd buy.
The B8 is a better car (everywhere). It not being a manual is all in your head... Stick it in sport, in 'manual' and use the paddles. Once you're used to it, you're faster. And downshifts are epic ;)
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:11 pm

RossDagley wrote:
FaisalJ wrote:If the B8 RS4 was a manual, I could see myself changing in a couple of years...but since it isn't, I really don't know what else I'd buy.
The B8 is a better car (everywhere). It not being a manual is all in your head... Stick it in sport, in 'manual' and use the paddles. Once you're used to it, you're faster. And downshifts are epic ;)
i do like the B8, especially Silas' - but it goes back to having to sell mine and add another £20k into the pot plus I would rather a saloon, that's my prob haha :)
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:16 pm

toyneg wrote:
RossDagley wrote:
i do like the B8, especially Silas' - but it goes back to having to sell mine and add another £20k into the pot plus I would rather a saloon, that's my prob haha :)
Aye now the slower shape cars I can't help with!

I thought I'd miss the manual. I totally don't. Most of my driving is not on the limit it's on the motorway/dual carriageway and to be honest, the autobox is welcome :) Now I'm used to it on track it's ace there too. I do miss the "rawness" of the b7 but my god does the b8 wizardry make it's handling sublime.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:23 pm

yeah i'd love paddle shift in mine i admit - if i ever won the Euromillions i would keep the RS4, add ceramics, custom retrim interior with up to date equipment, supercharger, dsg gearbox, jc weldfab.............. and back in the room lol

S4WON
Top Gear

Post by S4WON » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:50 pm

RossDagley wrote:
toyneg wrote:
RossDagley wrote: The B8 is a better car (everywhere). It not being a manual is all in your head... Stick it in sport, in 'manual' and use the paddles. Once you're used to it, you're faster. And downshifts are epic ;)
Aye now the slower shape cars I can't help with!

I thought I'd miss the manual. I totally don't. Most of my driving is not on the limit it's on the motorway/dual carriageway and to be honest, the autobox is welcome :) Now I'm used to it on track it's ace there too. I do miss the "rawness" of the b7 but my god does the b8 wizardry make it's handling sublime.
+1

Cindy crawford 20 years ago, hell yes!
Today? Nooooo!

Baz4
2nd Gear

Post by Baz4 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:05 pm

Yeah but is the b8 honestly worth the extra 20k. I don't see what your getting for the extra money. (I am a tight northerner mind)

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:23 pm

Straight through the MOT today, no advisories .... I'm loving that

And the guys at the Council MOT place in Guildford, we remember this from last year, "love these cars" wow I've always wanted one if these, etc I cannot see the B8 will ever have the same effect myself
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

alefustec
2nd Gear

Post by alefustec » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:38 pm

I had the option of a Porshe 911, S5, Astin DBS, test drove them all and ended up with the RS4. Wasn't even on my list.

Then I drove it.........fact it was significantly cheaper than all the above wasn't a factor. For me it's just a joy. Sure technology is dated, but can be sorted (working on that now), but there is something about the rawness that's intoxifying, the manual shift, the feel, and the sound.

Plus people want to talk about the car, they are relatively rare and don't come with the rich tosser rep the above do (except S5 which was boring IMO). The man in the street can appreciate an RS4 and I often end up in random conversations about it (horsepower, engine size etc) whenever I'm filling her up (often) or just down the shops. Has 5 seats so I can actually use as a DD and do school run.

Also it's not as ubiquitous as the M3 - I must see 5 a day, rarely see an RS4, so it's a little exclusive too. My plan is to get an F type in next year or so, but I will keep the RS4. Definitely a modern classic never to be repeated.

The most important thing is though, my 8 year old son thinks it's awesome, sounds awesome and keeps asking me if, when he is old enough to drive can he have it.........that for me is the acid test, my 8 year old thinks it's cool, and that is good enough for me.
Last edited by alefustec on Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
06 Phantom Black RS4 Saloon(since Jan 15)
19x9.5 Bola alloys, LED interior/door lights, exhaust flap delete, pre-cat delete, resonator delete, chrome to black optics, B&C pillars, rear boot strip, front grills & lower intakes gloss black, revolution induction kit, LED Drl's, de-tangoed, RNSE delete - Pioneer Apple CarPlay, reverse camera. 380mm upgraded JHM front rotors, Eibach control arms, Bilstein P14's, MCarbon diffuser & Cupra R splitter.

Briggy
2nd Gear

Post by Briggy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:41 pm

I like naturally aspirated big engines with manual gearboxes. Other cars are good or even great, no question, but I like what I like. I've driven modern high powered cars with paddles shifts and I simply don't like them. I've no real loyalty to the RS4 or even Audi. I also think the interior is drab and I don't particularly like the shape. None of this matters as I enjoy driving the RS4 more than any other car I've ever had. When you're focused on the road and giving the beans, THAT'S what's important and the RS4 delivers in spades.

I suspect that my next car will be a Lotus Evora in 2 or 3 years' time when my kids have grown a little more. This fits my brief perfectly, despite being a completely different car.

Cheers,
Bryan

RS4JAMO
Neutral

Post by RS4JAMO » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:50 pm

wow...and I thought there would be more people proposing to sell!

I share many of the above posts. I'm new to RS4 ownership and already spent £4K+ improving and tidying things up and I rekon I've got to put another £3.5K in over the next 12 months to make it what I want it to be.....to me worth every penny!

I've been lucky enough to own many quality cars (E39 M5, E46 M3, S1 Elise, M100 Elan, Boxster, 996 C4S) and I can honestly say none of them touch the rawness and feeling I get jumping in it and turning the key....and I use mine a lot (750 - 1200 miles a week). Everywhere I go it attracts more attention than any of the others and the sound has a big part in that cos lets be honest its not the prettiest from all angles (long snout).

I will buy another car in the next 18-24 months (RS6 or GTR) but I won't be selling it and that's a promise, its a future classic in the making. Mine was low miles so the few 000's I'm putting on is fine with me but the train will be taking the strain a little more to keep the miles down.

Raw big engined naturally aspirated cars are dead (boxsters now moving to 2 litre turbo charged, 911 reducing from 3.8 to 2.7 turbo charged) and that just Porsche many more will follow suit in a bid to conform to the euro crap....therefore I believe when all is transformed in 5 years time, the RS4 and especially the saloon only ever model B7 will be a rare and much sought after find.....just keep them clean everyone and remember this post when one of your only purchases increases in value like an E30 M3 :kissmyrings:
RS4 B7 Saloon, Phantom Black with SS+. LED's all inside & out with Dectane LED tailights. deflap, MRC Stage 2, Carbon Clean, no pre-cats, Blueflame non res cat back exhaust, AP Racing Discs, Titanium alloys and mirrors, 438PS

markshepps
1st Gear

Post by markshepps » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Mine doesn't get too much action since getting a RR Sport, but it's nice to have the contrast and 2 completely different animals.

A Porsche 911 day on Saturday helped put things into perspective a little bit. Drove spanking new 911's to Silverstone and back to watch Carrera Cup qualifying.... Amazing cars and had a blast charging around in them. First off was a Martini branded Carrera with duck tail spoiler & manual gear box... Beautiful car, and in convoy got all the attention... Coming home it was a black Carrera S with sports exhaust and PDK box... I've never experienced gear shifts like it, it was technically brilliant & sounded amazing.
All said and done these cars are 4 - 5 times more expensive than my RS4.... But, no way are they 4 -5 times better.
I would get one (if I could afford it), but only alongside my 4... They do look good together on the drive though :)

22B
4th Gear

Post by 22B » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:22 pm

[quote="markshepps"......... They do look good together on the drive though :) [/quote]

Yes, they did! :(

Current;
Porsche 997.1 GT3RS. Pure Orange, ceramics, etc, Sharkwerks exhaust
BMW 2002 restomod; Turbo body kit, S14 M3 Evo engine and lots more
Audi Q3 Black edition Quattro

Previously enjoyed;
Ibis White B7 RS4 Avant : TTS Supercharged 615ps/614 nm
Subaru Impreza 22B
Noble M400
TVR 400SE
Lotus Sunbeam Avon

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”