What MRC mod would you do first

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Matty
1st Gear

What MRC mod would you do first

Post by Matty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:56 pm

I'm sure this will divide the forum ... I have a 10k service due soon (the first service since I've owned the car) and will be taking it to MRC. I can currently only stretch to one "mod" for now in addition to the service. So what would you guys do in my situation?

Full Carbon Clean (not really a "mod" but a performance booster none-the-less)
Stage 2 remap
Pre Cat Delete

Decisions ... decisions :drink:
2007 Black RS4 Avant | Black Optics | Pioneer AVIC-F20BT Navigation AV System | Full Interior / Exterior LED Kit (Trups) | 19" Team Dynamics Le Mans Gloss Anthracite Alloys | 12mm Bimecc Hubcentric Spacers all round

JCviggen
5th Gear

Re: What MRC mod would you do first

Post by JCviggen » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Save until you can do the precats and stage 2 map at the same time. Doesn't make much sense to do them separately.

After that do the CC if the performance and dyno plot suggests the car needs it.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

TAB1S
3rd Gear

Post by TAB1S » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:49 pm

JCviggen wrote:Save until you can do the precats and stage 2 map at the same time. Doesn't make much sense to do them separately.

After that do the CC if the performance and dyno plot suggests the car needs it.
+1 on this but maybe wait & see if there are any nastys to deal with first aux rad, DRC, oil cooler, ect ect
Could also do CAF nice little cheap mod or centre section removal is quite popular at the mo but dont think MRC would do that just an exhaust company.
RS4 B7
MRC stage2 436ps-487nm
Revolution intake, custom CAF, carbon clean, deflaped manifold, JHM manifold spacers, Forge oil cooler, Forge spacers, full de-cat, Scorpion cat back, Trup's LED's, 20' S5 wheels, KW V3's.
Launch control & flat shift :mrgreen:

Matty
1st Gear

Post by Matty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Cheers guys...And what you said TAB1S ... the possibility of a nasty is lurking around in my head.

What single "mod" brings the biggest performance gain anyway?
2007 Black RS4 Avant | Black Optics | Pioneer AVIC-F20BT Navigation AV System | Full Interior / Exterior LED Kit (Trups) | 19" Team Dynamics Le Mans Gloss Anthracite Alloys | 12mm Bimecc Hubcentric Spacers all round

chuckiceman
1st Gear

Post by chuckiceman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:08 pm

You are after the exact same mods as me! haha

I wanted to get the most power out of the car without decat pipes. Money is the obvious issue for most of us. If you are planning to leave the car with them for a week or so, I'd agree with TAB1S. Get the service done and pay for a health check on the dyno for £80. Chances are you will be surprised like I was at how lame the BHP figures are unless you are lucky and don't have a bad carbon build up. Once you chat with Doug he will probably help you decide what to do.

My plan was to get the Stage 2 map only to begin with. Then Doug ran the health check and I was advised that it really needed a carbon clean. With the map he was suggesting I could get around an extra 50-60bhp out of it. That was all I needed to hear :biggrin3: It's not cheap but if you can stretch to both that's what I'd advise. Don't quote me on this but I think you would need a map anyway if you gut the pre cats.

Hope this helps.
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | Carbon Clean | De-flapped | Non Res Milltek | MTM Spacers |

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:48 pm

I'd go for remap. I'd imagine they can map out the precats at the same time for future removal unless there is a danger having them still but mapped out.
Pretty sure MRC wouldn't charge for a full remap if you went to them for the pre cat delete at a later date anyway.
But I'd put money on Doug recommending you need a carbon clean first which is probably true but if you do this your 'mod' will be gone in 6 months to a year when it needs cleaning again. As the old advert used to say a remap is not just for Xmas its for life (well ok it was about dogs not remaps but it gets my point across).
The only reason I'd not spend the money on a remap first is if the power is really low and you habe a vac leak type problem. If you're hitting around 380bhp then I wouldn't bother with a carbon clean and go straight for the remap.

Sterling
Neutral

Post by Sterling » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Hi,
Took mine up to Mrc in may and had to leave her for a few weeks with a gearbox issue which needed sorting.
I can remember quite clearly at the time Doug sat me down & said to me the biggest performance/per pound increase is going to be doing the decoke !! (depending on severity of inlets).
After that a stage ( your choice) map then the other bits precats on a standard pipe, Manifold,cold air feed & trumpet diffirent air filter ..... , one thing he did question was the fuel I used , I unashamedly replied Esso high octane , he shot me down & said that was the worst premium I could use due to the 97 ron at best rating & suggested Shell or to my surprise Tesco Momentum 99 ron I switched upon arrival home.
I delayed any tuning as a new box was worst case gonna see me in for best part of 5K + fit , Painful waiting for gearbox inspection however got some not so bad news .

I had the full Monty stage 2 all in which transformed my ride into a docile mild mannered A4( with the linear throttle) until the *S* Button is pressed & unleashes the full fat tarmac beater :FIREdevil: , point at the horizon & watch the revs/mph & scenery distort in the radial blur :biggrin3: (believe me I heard this before and was sceptical to say the least) .
My advice save it up and do as much as you can at the same time the drive home will smack you in the face but leave you grinning from ear to ear every time you think about it from that day forth :kissmyrings:
Happy motoring whatever you decide.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:01 pm

Get the remap to enjoy that Sport mode and stop worrying about carbon build up, it'll only come back next year.

And you mentioned about MRC doing the exhaust mod; they have done exhaust mods and welding for me before so may do the centre resonator delete for you.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Matty wrote:What single "mod" brings the biggest performance gain anyway?
Supercharger :biggrin3:

blm70
3rd Gear

Post by blm70 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:46 pm

marc1 wrote:
Matty wrote:What single "mod" brings the biggest performance gain anyway?
Supercharger :biggrin3:
Rocket engine :nodder:
Current:
TT Mk1, 225 Quattro Misano Red, AmD map

Former:
RS6 Avant 2004, MRC Stage 1+, Bilstein Coilovers, Milltek & s/s downpipes
Saab 9000 Aero 1997, GT3071, Siemens Dekka 630s, Forge 50mm i/c, 3" downpipe, Maptun stainless header, Konis, Quaife lsd, a/c deleted, 4.05 ratio 'box, custom map, 470hp & 440lb/ft.
Saab 9-3 Aero Estate 2.8 v6 2006, 3" stainless downpipe & remap, 302hp & 380lb/ft.
Rouse Sport 304R Sapphire Cosworth 1990 (stock), 260hp & 300lb/ft.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”