jstahmann
Neutral

Re: Is the rs4 any good in the snow

Post by jstahmann » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:45 pm

They can be a lot of fun in the snow!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGLx-4h6yWo[/youtube]
John Stahmann
2008 RS4 - Imola/Titanium
Piggie Pipes|Oval Tipped Magnaflow|Stasis SLs (800/1200)|H-Sport Sways F/R|Suede Euro Steering Wheel|Apikol Rear Diff Mount|034 Track Transmission Mount|SilverRS4 PnP Intake|JHM IM Spacers|Status Ring Alcantara Seats|Euro Tails|Rotiform Forged SNA 19x10|Bonneville 130 & 150 MPH Clubs

geordie jay
5th Gear

Post by geordie jay » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:25 pm

JCviggen wrote:Use winter tires. Quattro will get you going but trying to stop on snow and ice is pretty much as bad as any other car.

People who don't want to use winter tires should simply not use their car when actual snow and ice occur. It's an unnecessary risk.
bollocks.!!!! theres drivers then theres real drivers.......sorry

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:01 am

jstahmann wrote:They can be a lot of fun in the snow!

Fixed

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:01 am

geordie jay wrote: bollocks.!!!! theres drivers then theres real drivers.......sorry
Yes, being a better driver will make your car slow down better while the ABS is rattling away :roll:

Summer tires in snow are unnecessarily dangerous no matter what you're driving.

This is coming from someone who always got honked at for overtaking slow f*ckers whenever it snowed.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:45 am

What winter tyres do people use?

Never have done in the past but thinking about it now.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Briggy
2nd Gear

Post by Briggy » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:48 am

Just paid £562.92 at http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk for a set of 4 Nokian WR A3. Full size 255/35/19. Seem to get good reviews. Note these are winter tyres, not snow tyres. My car's a keeper so even though the outlay is quite big, it'll save me money in the long run as my summer tyres will last longer.

geordie jay
5th Gear

Post by geordie jay » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:06 am

JCviggen wrote:
geordie jay wrote: bollocks.!!!! theres drivers then theres real drivers.......sorry
Yes, being a better driver will make your car slow down better while the ABS is rattling away :roll:

This is coming from someone who always got honked at for overtaking slow f*ckers whenever it snowed.
I said nothing about being a better driver slows you down quicker :bash: ....i said theres drivers and real drivers...or i will make it simple...theres boys then there is men...driving isnt about just slowing down in bad weather...hopefully you will understand my point now :biggrin3:

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:08 am

JCviggen wrote:

Precisely. The figures speak for themselves. Its night and day.

On snow from 30 mph, the car on summer tyres is still doing 25 mph as it passes the point where the car on winter tyres has stopped. The summer tyres take 85 meters to stop from 30 mph.

On wet tarmac @ 4 degrees from 50 mph, the car on summer tyres is still doing 20 mph as it passes the point where the car on winter tyres has stopped
B5 B6 B7 B9

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:10 am

Briggy wrote:Just paid £562.92 at http://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk for a set of 4 Nokian WR A3. Full size 255/35/19. Seem to get good reviews. Note these are winter tyres, not snow tyres. My car's a keeper so even though the outlay is quite big, it'll save me money in the long run as my summer tyres will last longer.
Nokian WR A3 - good choice - my auntie and uncle had these on an A4 quattro that lives in the sticks in Notts/Leics/Derbyshire area and goes out the Swiss Alps - good all round for cold wet UK winters, good in the snow, good on big heavy vehicles being XL with higher load and speed ratings
B5 B6 B7 B9

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:33 am

geordie jay wrote:driving isnt about just slowing down in bad weather.:
But it is about stopping BEFORE you hit the other car, tree, lorry, brick wall,... (delete as appropriate) and write off your car :bash:
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:41 am

PetrolDave wrote:
geordie jay wrote:driving isnt about just slowing down in bad weather.:
But it is about stopping BEFORE you hit the other car, tree, lorry, brick wall,... (delete as appropriate) and write off your car :bash:
Exactly. Or a child crossing the road unexpectedly. That's an unlikely cliche obviously but stuff like that can ruin your life.

Summer tires on snow means either driving too fast for the conditions (you won't be able to stop/avoid anything showing up unexpectedly) or holding everybody up because you're going pretty damn slow.
geordie jay wrote:theres boys then there is men...driving isnt about just slowing down in bad weather...
The difference is that men have grown up to the point that they're at least vaguely aware of the consequences their actions could have and therefore behave somewhat more responsibly. I'll do 180mph in Germany if conditions allow and I have a jolly good time here in winter - always ESP off - but summer tires on snow is dangerous end of story.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

stu
5th Gear

Post by stu » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:22 pm

One of my favourite ever road trips just happened to coincide with some of the worst winter weather that I can remember - early December 2010. I'd only just bought the RS4 and stuck a set of winter tyres on it pretty much straight away.

I drove 250 miles from Newcastle to the Isle of Mull using all the back roads I could find. It was seriously cold - I saw minus seventeen in the Cheviots - so absolutely everything was snow or ice, and more snow was falling all the time. The heated windscreen washers froze, but other than that the car was amazing. There wasn't a single traffic jam all the way to Mull, so I really got to explore the car's limits. I couldn't have wished for a better introduction to the car: I soon learned how to move the car's weight around and found that traction off was the way to go - trusting myself and the quattro setup.

Mull itself was cold, dry and snow-free while the rest of the country was in shut down:
Isle of Mull 2010.jpg
The snow had continued to fall heavily on the mainland while we were on Mull so we returned using the major routes - straight down to Glasgow, then M74 to Carlisle, then the A69. I didn't think much of my outbound route would still be open. Glasgow was horrible, gridlock central. But further south was empty, with blizzards and deep untouched snow all the way down the motorway. There were one or two cars trying in vain to keep with me and they were quickly dispatched. Most lorries had given up. The A69 across from Carlisle to Newcastle was littered with snails-pace convoys of cars, and these were quickly and easily passed too.

There is no way I would have been able to do that road trip with summers tyres. My brain would've gone into meltdown after about twenty miles.

Best roadtrip ever.

psglas
1st Gear

Post by psglas » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:28 pm

I use Kumho Izen on my A3 and RS4. Less than £100 each from tyre leader.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/ ... 00v-392215

A bit narrower than the standard which helps a bit. I've put them on 18 inch alloys, same design as the original winters for the RS4.

I've run them for 3 winters now and they perform very well in the snow.

geordie jay
5th Gear

Post by geordie jay » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:01 pm

Im not gunna argue the fact any more coz im bored....but im gunna say this....if you sliding on ice is a snow/winter tyre gunna stop you emmmmm i dont think so,its down to driver and driving to his or her surroundings...yes winter tyres are for winter and are safer than all yr tyres but that wasnt my point which is being missed....

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:40 pm

geordie jay wrote:Im not gunna argue the fact any more coz im bored....but im gunna say this....if you sliding on ice is a snow/winter tyre gunna stop you emmmmm i dont think so.....
Have you even driven a car on winter tyres? Give them a try. :thumbs:

Ice rink test

B5 B6 B7 B9

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”