Buckets to comforts

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
ians63
2nd Gear

Buckets to comforts

Post by ians63 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:46 pm

Testing the water with a few questions regarding changing buckets to comforts
1. How complicated is the swap? Estimated time and tools required.
2. Electrics - are comforts heated and electrically adjustable and a straight swap?
3. Do the rears need swapping too?

Physical conditions are really making me bite the bullet and do a swap - old and knackered!!

My car is 56 plate Avant with 90k so bolsters have expected wear and tear but nothing excessive. Would consider straight swap for similar comforts.
I'm located in NE Scotland. Ideal scenario would be to meet up somewhere and do the swap if this is realistic.

Anyone interested pm

Harris.
4th Gear

Re: Buckets to comforts

Post by Harris. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:01 pm

Mine are in very good condition and would do a straight swap as I fancy the buckets ..........................but your in Scotland .

Im not sure about your questions , but ill need to find out about the rear seats also . mine are half leather heated rears .

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:49 pm

A Comfort interior will have piping to the front and rear seats whereas the Bucket seat interior doesn't. You will also need to do some re-coding via VCDS.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:52 am

I swapped my front seats over in under an hour with another person helping. You will need the correct triple star bit (will post the size later), a torque wrench and a flat bladed screwdriver.

The seats are four bolts, some electrical connections under a plastic flap and the clip holding the seatbelt to the base.

You will probably also need the Rosstech cable to change the coding on the airbag controller module so that the side airbags in the comfort seats now work.

Normally when going from comforts to buckets you get a warning light because the car does not see the seat airbags anymore but that never happen with me for some reason.

As Sam mentions most of the comfort seats have contrasting piping around the outside edges so would be better to change out the rear seats as well.

Also, I think the leather for bucket and comfort interior is ever so slightly different so door card could be an issue?
(I have the silver leather option so cannot confirm though)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=92933&p=468209&hil ... ng#p468209

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=92040&p=459997&hil ... ng#p459997
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

ians63
2nd Gear

Post by ians63 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:53 am

coffey555 wrote:I swapped my front seats over in under an hour with another person helping. You will need the correct triple star bit (will post the size later), a torque wrench and a flat bladed screwdriver.

The seats are four bolts, some electrical connections under a plastic flap and the clip holding the seatbelt to the base.

You will probably also need the Rosstech cable to change the coding on the airbag controller module so that the side airbags in the comfort seats now work.

Normally when going from comforts to buckets you get a warning light because the car does not see the seat airbags anymore but that never happen with me for some reason.

As Sam mentions most of the comfort seats have contrasting piping around the outside edges so would be better to change out the rear seats as well.

Also, I think the leather for bucket and comfort interior is ever so slightly different so door card could be an issue?
(I have the silver leather option so cannot confirm though)

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=92933&p=468209&hil ... ng#p468209

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=92040&p=459997&hil ... ng#p459997

What about the comfort electric seat adjustment - was that all just plug and play and everything work ok?

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Yes, it is the same electrical connectors plugs on both seat types.

I went the other way, comfort to buckets but everything will work apart from bolsters not inflating on a bucket seat when the s button is pressed, that is put in a car that left the factory with comforts, so will not be an issue for you.

Once you swap the only issue you might have is the airbag warning light which you need the Rosstech cable to clear.

You will also benefit from underseat storage with the comforts.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

anawaz
1st Gear

Post by anawaz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:27 pm

I was thinking of swapping comforts for buckets, but after reading this thread, i'll probably leave it. don't like sound of airbag warning, and inflatable bolster issues. i didn't even know i had inflatable bolsters as standard on comforts !

Briggy
2nd Gear

Post by Briggy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:27 pm

coffey555 wrote:
I went the other way, comfort to buckets but everything will work apart from bolsters not inflating on a bucket seat when the s button is pressed, that is put in a car that left the factory with comforts, so will not be an issue for you.
Maybe something simple, rather than something broken. You tried this? - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=115214

rob-s
3rd Gear

Post by rob-s » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:43 pm

I wonder if there is a cure for this one? In my opinion must be possible to code with VCDS.

I also have a spare pair of RS4 comfort seats in black with light grey piping..if someone wants to swap :blackrs4:
Daytona Grey B8.5 & Guards Red 981 / Ex.Audi RS4 B7 Sedan, Daytona Grey.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:51 pm

anawaz wrote:I was thinking of swapping comforts for buckets, but after reading this thread, i'll probably leave it. don't like sound of airbag warning, and inflatable bolster issues. i didn't even know i had inflatable bolsters as standard on comforts !
You only get the airbag warning because the side airbags have been removed with the seats. 2 min job to fix by recoding the airbag controller module.

The comforts don't have inflatable bolsters, in a car from the factory with buckets the bolsters inflate when you press the s button. I never did get it working but to be honest I only would have switched it off in the DIS anyway.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:57 pm

Briggy wrote:
coffey555 wrote:
Maybe something simple, rather than something broken. You tried this? - viewtopic.php?f=35&t=115214
Yeah, I tried that but still did not work. As Rob says, probably a value in a controller somewhere needs changed but I would never use that function anyway.

On the plus side my bolsters hold pressure when I do test them once in a blue moon, probably through lack of use!
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

ians63
2nd Gear

Post by ians63 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Now moved to classifieds

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”