RS4 B7 stock resonator delete

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: RS4 B7 stock resonator delete

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:39 am

maars wrote:
FaisalJ wrote:
maars wrote:Anyone running this mod with gutted precats?
I went with precat delete (straight pipe in place of the precats), an x-pipe centre section, and stock backboxes. Valves are stuck open.

I think it makes a good noise without being obtrusive. My 2 year old sleeps in the car no probs and there's no noticeable drone on the motorway. I haven't actually driven a RS4 with a standard exhaust, but I don't imagine my exhaust is actually that much louder.

Here's a vid I made at a recent trackday to give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Bm-gmEP6E
Sounds great. How is it compared to when you first bought it?

What made you choose the X pipe setup?
Well that's the thing, when I bought it, the car had a really loud custom exhaust system...cats and silencers had been gutted, so it was effectively straight through to the aftermarket backboxes,. Way too loud for me (see my build thread for more detail.) I can't really compare to a standard system.

I decided to go for the x-pipe as I understand it should give a small performance gain over straight pipes. There's a vid on YouTube I remember watching that shows the exhaust gas flow through an x and a h pipe setup. The theory being that whilst you have a pulse of exhaust gases on one side of the exhaust, you have low pressure on the other side (with the two sides connected by the x), with the low pressure helping to draw gases through the system. It's been a popular setup for American v8 tuners for ages and a number of the rs4 aftermarket exhausts include an x too.

Not sure where you're based but there's a RS246 meetup this Saturday at box hill in Surrey. I am planning to go (subject to wife not going into labour!) you're welcome to have a listen to the exhaust.

Hope that helps
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

coldo
2nd Gear

Post by coldo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Just to update this thread with info regarding the stock centre secion delete.

My car was in this morning and had the centre box removed and straight pipes welded in place, on my otherwise standard exhaust system (all cats in tact, standard backboxes etc). He utilised the existing hangers and used 2.25" pipe so its a nice neat job. £100 from the local powerflow exhaust guy but im sure any competent welder would manage it.

Anyway, I wanted a little more exhaust note but nothing anti social and without shelling out £1500 odds on a miltek or similar and since hearing it, i'm so glad I never shelled out on one!

The car sounds sweet now, just what I was after. 3rd gear, 3000rpm with the foot planted and it screams, very happy with it! Slight rasp but not tinny sounding, lets the V8 noise out well. And to be honest it's not a great deal louder when driving normally so I don't think it's going to bother the missus or neighbours. WOT or a throttle blip and it sounds lovely, delighted. Only managed 10 miles since but looking forward to taking it a proper run tomorrow, get right through the gears and properly check it out.

Also caught a trio of salesmen at the Porsche garage in Marsh Barton, Exeter snapping their necks to see what was nailing it past too, which was nice! :bigblink: :kissmyrings:
B7 RS4 Saloon - Sprint Blue

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:59 pm

maars wrote:
MikeFish wrote:
maars wrote:Anyone running this mod with gutted precats?
Yes, I am.
Did you ever run with gutted precats and std centre/rear setups?

If so, how was it when you removed the centre resonators?
I had the pre cats gutted the same day I fitted the very loud Tubi exhaust so couldn't tell any difference then.
A year or 2 later I removed the Tubi and put the standard exhaust back on. It seemed completely silent after the Tubi so hard to say if the pre cats made any difference but if I had to have an opinion then I'd say. They make very little difference noise wise. Then when I removed the centre resonators I finally got the noise I wanted.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:02 pm

coldo wrote:
Anyway, I wanted a little more exhaust note but nothing anti social and without shelling out £1500 odds on a miltek or similar and since hearing it, i'm so glad I never shelled out on one!

The car sounds sweet now, just what I was after.
This^^^^^^

Glad you like it like I do.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:39 pm

MikeFish wrote:
coldo wrote:

The car sounds sweet now, just what I was after.
This^^^^^^

Glad you like it like I do.
:thumb:
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

daveb77
2nd Gear

Post by daveb77 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:29 pm

coldo wrote:
The car sounds sweet now, just what I was after. 3rd gear, 3000rpm with the foot planted and it screams, very happy with it! Slight rasp but not tinny sounding, lets the V8 noise out well.
Nice one, im in on Saturday now to get Milltek bypass pipes fitted (to save garage welding...). Cant wait cant wait! Great feedback!!! cheers
D

RS4_Ollie
2nd Gear

Post by RS4_Ollie » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:05 pm

Are you thinking of putting the miltek by pass pipes on the standard system? because you are going to be disappointed like I was as the angle on the rear end doesn't match up with the standard pipes.

I was going to use some slip couplings as used in front of the resonator but its about 10 degrees off.

I went to a local exhaust place and wanted him to bend the pipe a few degrees to match but he wanted around £260 to weld and put new pipes in! so i declined.

If like said above i could find someone to do it for £100 i would have it done but 260 is a little steep for me... for that job anyway

daveb77
2nd Gear

Post by daveb77 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:35 pm

Pish! Think I'm stuck then!!! Will c what garage says and what they can do! Gutted! Cheers for feedback though
D

ashy
1st Gear

Post by ashy » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:17 pm

This is with the ressonator delete :thumbs:

coldo
2nd Gear

Post by coldo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:17 pm

Ok, here's one of mine... very difficult to capture the noise using my phone. Wind blowing in the mic when it was outside etc...

From 0:39 probably captures it best but even still it's impossible to really get the true noise. Needless to say i'm very happy with it!

(Excuse me lunking about infront of the camera...)

daveb77
2nd Gear

Post by daveb77 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:13 pm

daveb77 wrote:Pish! Think I'm stuck then!!! Will c what garage says and what they can do! Gutted! Cheers for feedback though
D
Spoke with mechanic mid install and it will be made to fit with a bit of fettling / cutting and slip over sleeve. Will collect Monday... Cant wait, straight to the Clyde Tunnel i think...!

The Milltek pipes did look good though, for what they are i suppose. Also the resonator is a fair weight, at least 1mpg gained i hope : )
D

Maxoliver
Neutral

Post by Maxoliver » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Hi guys sorry to butt in,

I'm looking to do a similar thing as can't afford a Miltek as only bought my rs4 two weeks ago, but need a bit more noise. Are you fitting the non res Miltek section to you standard system/ back box?

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:38 pm

No need for the relatively expensive milltek centre section as it is easier and cheaper to weld a straight bit of pipe in place of the centre resonator. You could pay more for the milltek pipes but then it also makes it harder to fit. Just find your local powerflex / longlife / other exhaust fabricator.

coldo
2nd Gear

Post by coldo » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 am

Maxoliver wrote:Hi guys sorry to butt in,

I'm looking to do a similar thing as can't afford a Miltek as only bought my rs4 two weeks ago, but need a bit more noise. Are you fitting the non res Miltek section to you standard system/ back box?

Any local exhaust fabricator will be able to cut out your old centre box and weld in 2x sections of straight (or X) pipe for you.

Miltek obviously still has its place when it comes to replacing a whole system but for this mod, I don't think you need to buy fancy branded pipes...

Maxoliver
Neutral

Post by Maxoliver » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Ok cheers guys I'll look in to it, will get that done and see how it sound maybe a jc.wf or Miltek at a later date if needed.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”