Revs Sticking While Changing Up

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
PaulinSpain
Neutral

Revs Sticking While Changing Up

Post by PaulinSpain » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:22 pm

Any advise on this before I send it into main dealers. When changing gear on the way up the revs don't drop instantly when you engage the clutch, been driving around this problem for a little while, since this problem, I've also get a slight engine surge when coasting in neutral. A new OEM clutch was fitted by MRC about 3,000 kms ago. Any info will be appreciated as my local main dealer in Spain doesn't see many RS4 B7s and its better to give them a heads up otherwise they go on an expensive process of, replace, maybe test, charge, give car back, then rinse and repeat until they fix problem by process of elimination.
RS4 B7 2007 Avant LHD, Ceramics, SS+ Suspension, MRC Stage 2 439PS, Pre Cats Gutted, Cold air Feed, Carbon Clean, Stage 2 Manifold

NJMAudiRS4
4th Gear

Re: Revs Sticking While Changing Up

Post by NJMAudiRS4 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:41 pm

Have you replaced the clutch pedal switches ? Whilst coasting is the clutch pedal depressed or up ? If up and the revs rise do they fall when you press the clutch in ?
I have a similar problem whilst coasting and it's linked to one of the clutch pedal switches, not sure which one but I will get round to fitting new ones, not that expensive from main dealer
Audi RS4 Avant. MRC Stage 2 Manifold, caf, Map, JCWF Manifold back Exhaust with Sports Cats, H&R spacers, 449ps & 483nm

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:03 pm

NJMAudiRS4 wrote:Have you replaced the clutch pedal switches ? Whilst coasting is the clutch pedal depressed or up ? If up and the revs rise do they fall when you press the clutch in ?
I have a similar problem whilst coasting and it's linked to one of the clutch pedal switches, not sure which one but I will get round to fitting new ones, not that expensive from main dealer
I assume the revs holding will be the upper switch as I had no lower switch for ages and didn't have this problem.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:03 pm

PaulinSpain wrote:Any advise on this before I send it into main dealers. When changing gear on the way up the revs don't drop instantly when you engage the clutch, been driving around this problem for a little while, since this problem, I've also get a slight engine surge when coasting in neutral. A new OEM clutch was fitted by MRC about 3,000 kms ago. Any info will be appreciated as my local main dealer in Spain doesn't see many RS4 B7s and its better to give them a heads up otherwise they go on an expensive process of, replace, maybe test, charge, give car back, then rinse and repeat until they fix problem by process of elimination.
Revs rising sounds like the MAF.

NJMAudiRS4
4th Gear

Post by NJMAudiRS4 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:06 pm

Cheers Mike, will get it sorted shortly
Audi RS4 Avant. MRC Stage 2 Manifold, caf, Map, JCWF Manifold back Exhaust with Sports Cats, H&R spacers, 449ps & 483nm

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:46 pm

NJMAudiRS4 wrote:Cheers Mike, will get it sorted shortly
Does your cruise control work? (An upper switch failure)
And does the car start after a quick press of the starter button or do you need to hold it down until the car srarts? (Lower switch failure)

NJMAudiRS4
4th Gear

Post by NJMAudiRS4 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Cruise control works fine, I tried that at first after reading several post about it, also starter goes off 1 press.

My symptoms are when you come to a junction or traffic lights and you knock it out of gear and lift your foot off the clutch and you roll the last few feet to a stop the revs climb, but if you press the clutch down the revs drop off, even rolling to a stop the revs don't rise with the clutch down, so my thinking is it is linked to 1 of the switches on the clutch pedal

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Do the revs rise or is it more like you blipped the throttle ie a quick rise but then quickly drops down again? If its the latter it sounds like the MAF.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:44 pm

My car used to blip the engine as I was changing down the gears coming to a stop. Started just after I changed the air filter. It stopped when I changed the MAF. A couple of weeks ago it started doing it again just after I changed my caf (and had to remove air filter). So it looks like the MAF was damaged again. I've been told several times that the MAF is very fragile and so far my experiences have shown this to be true.

NJMAudiRS4
4th Gear

Post by NJMAudiRS4 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:14 pm

The revs rise about 500 / 600 rpm but don't drop off quickly like they would if you'd pressed the clutch, I'm not going to rule out the MAF, it just seems a little odd that when the clutch is pressed it drops off quickly.

I'll try the clutch switches first, won't harm in changing them anyway, If no change then I'll move onto the MAF.

I had problematic MAF's on my Subaru Impreza fragile was an understatement !!

BaCoN
1st Gear

Post by BaCoN » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:28 am

I had a similar issue after doing a carbon clean and it turned out to be a crack in one of the PCV hoses. They have a few layers of protection so it was impossible to see but a smoke test found the crack in the end.

I had no other symptoms just a slight rev climb when coasting.

PaulinSpain
Neutral

Post by PaulinSpain » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:32 am

MikeFish wrote:
PaulinSpain wrote:Any advise on this before I send it into main dealers. When changing gear on the way up the revs don't drop instantly when you engage the clutch, been driving around this problem for a little while, since this problem, I've also get a slight engine surge when coasting in neutral. A new OEM clutch was fitted by MRC about 3,000 kms ago. Any info will be appreciated as my local main dealer in Spain doesn't see many RS4 B7s and its better to give them a heads up otherwise they go on an expensive process of, replace, maybe test, charge, give car back, then rinse and repeat until they fix problem by process of elimination.
Revs rising sounds like the MAF.
Thanks for the feedback
RS4 B7 2007 Avant LHD, Ceramics, SS+ Suspension, MRC Stage 2 439PS, Pre Cats Gutted, Cold air Feed, Carbon Clean, Stage 2 Manifold

PaulinSpain
Neutral

Post by PaulinSpain » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:35 am

NJMAudiRS4 wrote:Cruise control works fine, I tried that at first after reading several post about it, also starter goes off 1 press.

My symptoms are when you come to a junction or traffic lights and you knock it out of gear and lift your foot off the clutch and you roll the last few feet to a stop the revs climb, but if you press the clutch down the revs drop off, even rolling to a stop the revs don't rise with the clutch down, so my thinking is it is linked to 1 of the switches on the clutch pedal
Yeah, Same symptoms as above, haven't tried the cruise control yet, I will let you know how I get on with the dealers, cheers

edge
5th Gear

Post by edge » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:41 pm

NJMAudiRS4 wrote:Cruise control works fine, I tried that at first after reading several post about it, also starter goes off 1 press.

Had the same, was a vac leak for me!

NJMAudiRS4
4th Gear

Post by NJMAudiRS4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks I'll have it checked out, although there doesn't seem to be any power loss nevertheless it's still worth checking for piece of mind

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”