Coolant Loss

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
rocket1
4th Gear

Re: Coolant Loss

Post by rocket1 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:18 pm

hi, where roughly in cornwall did you buy it from and was it private or dealer. sorry for the questions but i live in cornwall and just curious as theres not many down this way. hope you get the rad sorted!
rs4 b7 daytona avant. Miltek resonated valved, Mrc stage 2
vw touran 2.0tdi, blue /black leather. family wagon!!.
repsol honda fireblade.
Zx12r b1 in black and gold. The colour to have!!

geordie jay
5th Gear

Post by geordie jay » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:26 pm

If a car is left in garage for 5 yrs and not driven age doesnt come into it....
on the other hand if the car has been driven for 5 yrs then you gunna expect wear on the car...
so what i meant was 40k was the roundabout magic number for issues..
so i would say milaege is very much a part not age...

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:35 am

sar wrote: IF YOUR DRIVERS SIDE RAD IS OK swap that with the leaking one and install a cold air feed up to your air box.
if the drivers side rad passes a visual inspection id use it, why would you replace a perfectly good rad?.
obviously if it looks a bit crusty and worse for wear then you would be mad to use it, spend the £180 for piece of mind.
geordie jay wrote:If a car is left in garage for 5 yrs and not driven age doesnt come into it....
on the other hand if the car has been driven for 5 yrs then you gunna expect wear on the car...
so what i meant was 40k was the roundabout magic number for issues..
so i would say milaege is very much a part not age...
i did the cold air feed mod at 50,000 miles/five years old, the aux rad i removed was fine.
the passenger aux rad is still fine at 82,000 miles. (when/if this goes i will swap in the 50,000 mile i have on the shelf, cause theres nowt wrong with it).
my oil cooler and pipes were still functioning (didn't look great) at 73,000, i changed the pipes and am still on the original rad.

i dont think there is a magic roundabout number you can put on these issues its different for every car. are these common issues? sure, but they happen at different times/millage for most part.
b7rs4 phantom black, titan pack.

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:52 am

I think there are many different factors which can affect the general state/condition of a car. Mileage of course is the first indicator but also age, where the car has been kept inside/outside. Where you live in the country, near the coast etc.

My car has covered 33k, but since owning I have had to replace the suspension(split drc flexi) and have had a leaking oil cooler, which has been changed now.

Every car is different, and has its own history.
Daytona Grey, Bilstein Coilovers, Pre-cat delete, Centre resonator delete, IM flaps/vains delete, Interior/Exterior LED kit, CAI, Black Optics.
Other car: Bread Van

sar
4th Gear

Post by sar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 pm

Grandadg90 wrote:I think there are many different factors which can affect the general state/condition of a car. Mileage of course is the first indicator but also age, where the car has been kept inside/outside. Where you live in the country, near the coast etc.

My car has covered 33k, but since owning I have had to replace the suspension(split drc flexi) and have had a leaking oil cooler, which has been changed now.

Every car is different, and has its own history.
word up! :thumb:
b7rs4 phantom black, titan pack.

JmRS4
2nd Gear

Post by JmRS4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:37 pm

Good stuff, some good replies here folks. Thanks. I bought it from a lad in callington, I think I'm going to get the front bumper off and inspect the drivers rad and go for the caf mod. Has anyone got a list of all the stuff needed? The link posted earlier is really helpful I just can't open the links to all of the items needed. Need to get it sorted before the end of August as its getting a trip to the south of France. Gonna get s*** sprayed all over it by the sounds of it

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:47 pm

Step1 remove bumper, three bolts on top and two bolts each side attach bumper to body. To gain access to the 2 bolts on either side you will have to remove some screws that hold the <beep> guard, but not all of them.
Step 2 remove air scoop, and bolts which hold aux rad in.
Step 3 pull rad forward, they have rubber mounts, 2 at top and 2 at bottom.
Step 4 remove pipe going to the top left of the rad, which goes to the main rad, from the aux rad side. This pipe will need to be re-connected elsewhere in a moment.
Step 5 behind the rad will be a cannister which holds the thermostat, this is connected to a metal pipe. Disconnect the rubber pipe and remove the whole assembly rad+thermotat.
Step 6 reconnect the first pipe that was removed and connect to the metal pipe.

The will complete the process. Maybe an idea to put 2 connectors on this last joint to make it secure.

Hope this helps.
Daytona Grey, Bilstein Coilovers, Pre-cat delete, Centre resonator delete, IM flaps/vains delete, Interior/Exterior LED kit, CAI, Black Optics.

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:52 pm

For CAI, you will need 89mm in diameter piping, a funnel. You will have to remove the flap which sits at the bottom of the airbox and blank off the vacuum pipe which leads to the flap. The whole flap will have to be removed, this is held in with two screws.

JmRS4
2nd Gear

Coolant Loss

Post by JmRS4 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks for your detailed reply. I live just down the road from demon tweeks so I'll probably nip down there for the bits. Is it best to have mesh over the end of the funnel? Cheers.

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:11 pm

Personal choice about the mesh. Demon Tweaks do sell the one with mesh for around £38 mark if I remember correctly.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:17 pm

If you have an aftermarket filter like the Revolution carbon jobbie, then you can go up to a 102mm pipe with ease. This is closer to the actual size of the air intake after the filter.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”