New Brake Pad Retaining Pins

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
androidmarrs
2nd Gear

New Brake Pad Retaining Pins

Post by androidmarrs » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:57 pm

Change over the discs so I could give the ones that were one the car a skim. I work offshore and with the car lying for weeks at a time it does not help the discs any. It just give the corrosion more time to eat into the discs and when you get back in the car after 2 weeks away it sounds truly horrendous.
When I was in about the front discs I thought I would clean up the pads and the slider pins as I had an advisory from the last MOT that the front left was binding/sticking slightly.
The pad retaining pings were seized solid so had to drill these out.
First step was to cut the pins on the inside of each lug leaving the sections of the pins stuck in the holes. I drilled these but not all the way just enough so the parallel pin would not keep slipping off each time I hit it. I hammered the the out side ones out first. Then I used an extra long cobalt drill (4mm dia 126mm length drill bit) to reach through and drill the inner pin. May parallel pins were not long enough to reach through the 2 holes so I machined a grade 12.9 bolt down so the parallel pin would in one end and other small enough to fit into the partial hole I drilled then chapped it out. ( and yes may parallel pins are the long series ones)

I was not prepared to pay £40 for 4 new pins from Audi, So I turned 10mm stainless 316 bar down to 6mm leaving a 10mm head on one end and drilled the other for stainless split pin.

Hope this info mayt help some one in the future.
IMAG0816.jpg
New Pins
IMAG0818.jpg
Parallel pin extension
IMAG0817.jpg
New Pins fitted

androidmarrs
2nd Gear

Re: New Brake Pad Retaining Pins

Post by androidmarrs » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:00 am

Now that I think about it, I should have milled flats onto the 10mm heads so you could put a spanner or shifter on encase It needs a wiggle to remove them again.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:34 pm

Don't think that will cure your binding issue. You can see that there is (galvanic?) corrosion bubbling up from under the pad retaining plates which then pinch the pad backing plate, this is starting to happen on your calliper as the backing plate is just starting to bend away from the pad.

The torx screws are a real PITA to remove and will likely shear or the heads round off. I decided to send my callipers off for refurbishment where they were stripped down, pistons polished, new seals, new plates/fixings and new paint. Cost was about £240 if I remember correctly.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

androidmarrs
2nd Gear

Post by androidmarrs » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi Sam,

Yeah I had to remove the stainless plates and remove the white aluminum corrosion due to the road salt and other contaminants. I did round the heads of the small M5 screws but I hammered in a large torx bit and removed them and replaced all 12 screw with new stainless ones. I was thinking about stripping them down and getting them re powder coated.

What was the company you used for the caliper refurb?

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:07 pm

androidmarrs wrote:Hi Sam,

Yeah I had to remove the stainless plates and remove the white aluminum corrosion due to the road salt and other contaminants. I did round the heads of the small M5 screws but I hammered in a large torx bit and removed them and replaced all 12 screw with new stainless ones. I was thinking about stripping them down and getting them re powder coated.

You have been busy then :thumbs:

I had Godspeed Brakes do mine, have a look at their facebook page as they post up here and there a few re-furbs/stories. Will be sending another set off to them later this week.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

androidmarrs
2nd Gear

Post by androidmarrs » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks Sam will check them out!

Cheers

Andy

gt2
3rd Gear

Post by gt2 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:55 pm

androidmarrs wrote:Hi Sam,

Do you know what length these screws were androidmarrs? I'm looking at doing this myself. I intend to repainted underneath where these plates are.

Markwes
2nd Gear

Post by Markwes » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:14 am

Shouldn't the pad retaining pins be inserted from the back of the calliper so if they do become corroded and difficult to remove you can use a punch and hammer to knock them out from the front of the calliper.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Audi RS6 c7 2014| Estoril Blue | Dynamic pack | Sports Exhaust.

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:56 pm

Yip thats correct, the original pins have a barrell on the end which compresses in the lug to retain it , the ones he has are split pin type
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”