Two weeks in and time to get a few things sorted...

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
jonnymaz
Neutral

Two weeks in and time to get a few things sorted...

Post by jonnymaz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Well had the RS4 Cab for a couple of weeks now and very pleased with it! :biggrin3: Still getting used to everything, but could do with a bit of advice over one or two little "issues":

1. When the roof goes down, one of the little plastic trim pieces that slides into place (spring loaded I think), doesn't slide without being pushed by hand. It looks like one of the plastic bits on the side that slots into the groove has snapped so it doesn't slide along the groove in a straight line. Can this piece be bought separately and is it difficult/expensive to fit?

2. I keep getting warning lights flashing up for left main headlight, but when I check all lights (including the DRL) seem to be working ok. The DRL switch seems a little faulty - doesn't pop in and out any more and seems to be permanently on, could it be something to do with that?

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

I can't really find anything cosmetic that desperately needs doing (the main reason I bought the car), but two simple things I am planning are:

1. Remove the ugly phone prep on the side of the dash. I realise that ideally I need a whole new centre dash, so was planning on taking it to an interior repairer and see what they can do about just plugging the holes. Would still look a whole lot better than with the phone prep on.

2. The aluminium (?) on the top of the gear stick is a little worn, and doesn't even look particularly nice. I thought a simple mod that would look good would be to (get a professional to) paint the top in piano black enamel paint along with the bit at the top of the shaft to match.

Anyone done anything similar to either of the above, and any tips/words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance :beerchug:

ians63
2nd Gear

Re: Two weeks in and time to get a few things sorted...

Post by ians63 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:21 pm

First job I did phone out! Toyed with the idea of getting the holes filled in but went with a new centre console in the end. Wasn't too expensive, £120 ish and about 2 hrs work.

psglas
1st Gear

Post by psglas » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:52 pm

I'm planning on replacing my centre console soon to remove the phone cradle. Did you follow a set of instructions from the web ? Any difficult bits?

jonnymaz
Neutral

Post by jonnymaz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:58 pm

Thanks ians63. It does look like there are some big holes under there! Where did you get the centre console from?

jonnymaz
Neutral

Post by jonnymaz » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Also, has no-one experienced the roof trim or light error issues?

ians63
2nd Gear

Post by ians63 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:20 am

jonnymaz wrote:Thanks ians63. It does look like there are some big holes under there! Where did you get the centre console from?
Ordered and delivered from Stoke Audi. Really not that difficult to replace - plenty online guides

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:03 am

Has your car got adaptive headlights? If it does it could be a motor that's broken. When I got mine it was giving me a loud beep and then the warning light for the headlights would stay on. All the light actually worked but because the motor was broken the light came on. A quick way to check is to pull fuse 10 from the fuse board by the side of the steering column. This is a quick fix but it will also knock out the self levelling feature so is strictly illegal so you should only use to check. If you know for sure you have adaptives, then park with the nose of the car a couple of feet from a wall, and when it gets dark start the car then turn on the headlights, you should see the light beams move left and right and up and down. If they don't then that's your problem.

jonnymaz
Neutral

Post by jonnymaz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks RS6BRIT, no I'm pretty sure I don't have adaptive headlights. I checked all the codes and all that is specified is Bi-functional headlight with gas discharge lamp and Automatic headlight-range adjustment dynamic.

I may have worked out the problem, although haven't investigated fully - the DRL switch doesn't seem to turn the DRL off, and the error message comes up when the DRL is set in the off position but not the on position. Perhaps it knows when it is not doing what it is supposed to.

If that is the case, I will just leave the DRL on, unless anyone knows if it is something simple like a fuse?

PS ians63, do you happen to know the part number? I'm not sure if the part number i found 8E0863241F6PS is correct - pictures seem to show cup holders in the middle and I have the roof switch and the start button.

sumdy
2nd Gear

Post by sumdy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:12 pm

With regards to the roof trim,if it's the ones I am thinking of behind the rear seat one on either side then they are pretty easy to fit if a bit fiddly

Best mod I have done is fit a smartop roof controller. Makes the roof operate on the keyfob,only have to flick the roof switch to operate instead of holding up or down,and raises the operation on the move by 10mph (has this been done by a previous owner?)

jonnymaz
Neutral

Post by jonnymaz » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Thanks Sumdy,

Yes, sounds right - one on each side, rectangular about 6 inches x 2 inches (from memory). Don't suppose you/anyone else know what they are called or the part number?

Last owner but one fitted the smart control - it's a great addition! Enjoy parking up then walking away as the roof does its business...

sumdy
2nd Gear

Post by sumdy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:53 am

Good news on the roof controller,sorry don't know part no of trims

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”