Android radio ordered

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
docurley
5th Gear

Re: Android radio ordered

Post by docurley » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Well I fitted lastnight and as expected no sound when directly connected to the bose system so I fitted some signal adapters and I now have sound but I don't think I have my sub .

anyways here's a quick video of the unit I have noted a issue with the volume control which I have emailed them about and snt a video.

https://youtu.be/-BFILW2bQJs

And showing the bad volume knob
https://youtu.be/1ey7wlpPkIw

I will mess with this some more tonight and figure out the system and see if I can workout the bugs.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

davebirl
Neutral

Post by davebirl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:00 pm

first video is coming up as private.

Very interested to see you go through all of the menus and stuff :)
B7 RS4 - Missano Red- RS6 Steering Wheel
Gone 2 X 8L S3, 2 X Corrado VR6, Corrado G60

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Try again and I will be looking at it again tonight to familiarise myself with it and move some of the buttons around.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

davebirl
Neutral

Post by davebirl » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:26 pm

I hope you get the video playback working without all the jitter.
B7 RS4 - Missano Red- RS6 Steering Wheel
Gone 2 X 8L S3, 2 X Corrado VR6, Corrado G60

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:40 pm

davebirl wrote:I hope you get the video playback working without all the jitter.
I will try a USB stick and see if that makes a difference and have a play around with the settings also need to see if there is a RDS setting for the radio or another App to down load.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:43 pm

Is the boot time 20+ secs?
No matter where you go, there you are.

Shinobi675
5th Gear

Post by Shinobi675 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:56 pm

And has anyone used the apple CarPlay ones?
996 C4S, B8 RS4, CBR600RR & a little ZXR400

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:17 pm

bam_bam wrote:Is the boot time 20+ secs?
Yeah It's around 20 sec to boot up.

Have been playing with it tonight and I'm getting the swing of it now and have managed to to get it to sound a lot better but still note quite got that nice base you normally get from the sub I suspect the RNS-E had some sort of crossover that did all that.

Have also sorted the video files issue, seems it dose not like VLC so I used the pre-loaded player and it worked a treat.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:19 am

docurley wrote:

Have been playing with it tonight and I'm getting the swing of it now and have managed to to get it to sound a lot better but still note quite got that nice base you normally get from the sub I suspect the RNS-E had some sort of crossover that did all that.

Have also sorted the video files issue, seems it dose not like VLC so I used the pre-loaded player and it worked a treat.
I don't think the RNS-E has a sub output. I thought it sent the 4 channels to the bose amp and the amp summed up the imputs to make the sub output. So theoretically if you have the 4 channels still feeding into the Bose then the sub should be on. I seem to recall the sub still working when RNS-E was faded all the way to the front or rear so even with only 2 channels feeding in I'd expect you should still hear it. It's been a while so I may be wrong but that is how I remember it.

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:00 am

MikeFish wrote:
docurley wrote:

I don't think the RNS-E has a sub output. I thought it sent the 4 channels to the bose amp and the amp summed up the imputs to make the sub output. So theoretically if you have the 4 channels still feeding into the Bose then the sub should be on. I seem to recall the sub still working when RNS-E was faded all the way to the front or rear so even with only 2 channels feeding in I'd expect you should still hear it. It's been a while so I may be wrong but that is how I remember it.

You must be right as it is working just not so prominent as before but messing around with it seems to have improved things.

https://youtu.be/-kvbe9hjje0
https://youtu.be/ML1fMGQDDw0

dhali
4th Gear

Post by dhali » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 am

Thats a really nice bit of kit. Thanks for all the info. Once you have set it up properly would you be able to put links up to the extra bits you need .

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 am

dhali wrote:Thats a really nice bit of kit. Thanks for all the info. Once you have set it up properly would you be able to put links up to the extra bits you need .
Sure will and where you can get more info on ROM's and apps.

I'm not going to mess with the software until I'm happy with what you get out the box and of course playstore apps.

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:55 pm

So a small update, the sound issue is due to the built in eq, basically it's crap. I installed poweramp music player which has a built in eq and wow the sound is back as it should if not better, downside is that poweramp sound levels are way load so if you jump to radio all hell breaks out and with a doggy volume control I struggle to get it in check.

Tried a Bluetooth dongle I had and although it powers up the system does not see it.

So right now this may not be the right unit, I'm aware other units do not have this issue but it may be the fact they have updated the firmware (ROM's).

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:51 pm

So the old unit went back months ago and what a balls ache that was.

Anyway a new one arrived today after telling my boys dad wants an android radio for his birthday.and hay presto one arrived.

This time I got a quad core and first impressions is its way better than the last.

I will try and get some pics up tomorrow but it's fully bose compliant so no messing around with that which is a major bonus.

I bought a gps adapter so I didn't need to use the supplied gps arial and the radio adapter I have works well too.

wifi is better than the other unit as I was able to log straight on to the home network unlike the other unit.

more testing and reporting to come later.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:06 am

What gps adapter did you buy? I was hoping to get one to allow my alpine head unit / gps to use the Audi antenna.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”