Charlie D's Build Thread

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
CharlieD
2nd Gear

Re: Charlie D's Build Thread

Post by CharlieD » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:56 am

DavidRS4 wrote:Lovely looking car. Doing the same with the grill on mine at the minute. Got an RS6 gloss black grill to go in pace of the old one. No more ugly plate filler! Having the fog lamp grills sprayed gloss black to.
Thanks David :) Interesting idea on the fogs. Do you have front parking sensors to relocate also? I'm looking around for solutions at the minute but would be good to compare notes!
Covkiller wrote:Now that's a sharp looking RS4, certainly black optics will make it look even meaner.
I like your mods a lot.
:thumbs:
Appreciate it mate :D
RS4 B7 Phantom Black Saloon
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:57 am

Looking good mate. Not a fan of air tho never have been, but it's your motor.

The grill is a good idea I've seen it done on some s lines. I've had my fogs and grill sprayed black too as it was a pain to keep it clean.

Wrapped my silver trim too gloss black but debating doing it matte instead like the optics pack but undecided as some I've seen looks like it's just faded in the sun.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:14 am

My trims are wrapped matt black Rick.

And my fog light grilles have been sprayed body colour (the bit that's left of them anyway). Been thinking of spraying the main grill too and the oil cooler splitter at the same time.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 am

MikeFish wrote:My trims are wrapped matt black Rick.

And my fog light grilles have been sprayed body colour (the bit that's left of them anyway). Been thinking of spraying the main grill too and the oil cooler splitter at the same time.

Ah ill have to take a look at your pics. I thine the matte front grille surround as it makes it stand out more and not just blend in to the rest. Just not sure if it will look odd being the only matte black part.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:00 am

I meant my window trims only though. The front grill surround is an actual black optic grill so gloss I think.

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:00 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:Looking good mate. Not a fan of air tho never have been, but it's your motor.

The grill is a good idea I've seen it done on some s lines. I've had my fogs and grill sprayed black too as it was a pain to keep it clean.

Wrapped my silver trim too gloss black but debating doing it matte instead like the optics pack but undecided as some I've seen looks like it's just faded in the sun.
Cheers Rick. Love your motor, especially the headlights! :bowdown:
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:00 pm

CharlieD wrote:
DavidRS4 wrote:Lovely looking car. Doing the same with the grill on mine at the minute. Got an RS6 gloss black grill to go in pace of the old one. No more ugly plate filler! Having the fog lamp grills sprayed gloss black to.
Thanks David :) Interesting idea on the fogs. Do you have front parking sensors to relocate also? I'm looking around for solutions at the minute but would be good to compare notes!

Funny you should mention that as I've just come back from the bodyshop and we were discussing what to do with the two parking sensors. Not sure but definitely want them in. Also need something to screw the number plate in to.
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

nij
4th Gear

Post by nij » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:45 pm

DavidRS4 wrote:
CharlieD wrote:

Funny you should mention that as I've just come back from the bodyshop and we were discussing what to do with the two parking sensors. Not sure but definitely want them in. Also need something to screw the number plate in to.
This is what I've done with mine. Made a harness that plug in between the new style sensors to the old harness, the only problem I've got is that the placement of the new sensors are too low and it's picking up the ground sometimes.
Attachments
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_3073.JPG
Phantom Black R8 V10 plus, Capristo Exhaust
Phantom Black (B7) RS4 Saloon, MRC Stage 2
Mercedes E-Coupe 350CDi

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:55 am

nij wrote:This is what I've done with mine. Made a harness that plug in between the new style sensors to the old harness, the only problem I've got is that the placement of the new sensors are too low and it's picking up the ground sometimes.
Very nice job bud. Are you still using the OEM sensors that originally came with the car?
[

Build Thread

nij
4th Gear

Post by nij » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:58 pm

CharlieD wrote:
nij wrote:This is what I've done with mine. Made a harness that plug in between the new style sensors to the old harness, the only problem I've got is that the placement of the new sensors are too low and it's picking up the ground sometimes.
Very nice job bud. Are you still using the OEM sensors that originally came with the car?
The OEM sensors are too big for the grill, so I used the new style Audi sensors (the one I used are 1S0 919 275). I decided to make a adapter instead of cutting the original harness, so I bought two aftermarket old style sensors and a second hand A5 harness. By trial and error with the wiring, I got them working. I also made the sensor mounts to fit them from the pre face lift RS5. I hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_2291.JPG
IMG_2486.JPG
Mercedes E-Coupe 350CDi

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:05 am

Very helpful nij, where did you get the mounts from? I.e. I assume you didn't buy a whole RS5 grille for the mounts...
[

Build Thread

nij
4th Gear

Post by nij » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I just bought the sensor mounts. They were quite expensive for a bit of plastic, but I was hoping it would fit without modifying them. You could get some cheaper alternatives from eBay and glue them in place.

There is one of the RS5 sensor mounts that I used.
Attachments
IMG_1844.JPG
Mercedes E-Coupe 350CDi

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:38 am

Perfect, thanks again! :)
Made a little video the night before I took the car to MRC, collecting tomorrow. Curious to hear what she's going to sound like with the decat downpipes :smile_smoking:

[

Build Thread

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:22 pm

Just got her back from MRC, very happy with their work :jump_clap:

Full decoke, Stage 2 map with LC/FS, CAF, Manifold deflap, decat downpipes...

Results:

She was only running on around 350... big gains

When my replacement GoPro arrives tomorrow I might make another quick video in the night ;)
[

Build Thread

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:45 pm

Charlie, I can't work out if you have the Rumore or standard version of the Tubi. The tone sounds very much like the Tubi but on a toned down scale. Maybe it's because I've never heard it with the stock resonator before. Either way it sounds awesome.
Do you now have decatted but still have stock resonators? If it's the Rumore you have, then I imagine it will sound like thunder now you are decatted. A Rumore with no centre resonator and no cats would be unbearable though!

By the way, you must have had a vac leak or something similar to be only running 350ps, that power increase wasn't from just the carbon clean and remap alone, they must have fixed the leak while putting the engine back together (quite common).

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”