Charlie D's Build Thread

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
CharlieD
2nd Gear

Charlie D's Build Thread

Post by CharlieD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:21 am

Having had this baby for just over 9 months now... guess it's time I make a start with my own thread... :audibash:

Got her with 29k on the clock, had it fully inspected, immaculate condition with all the usual trimmings, electric sunroof, heated wingbacks, only thing really missing was the flat bottom steering wheel but no biggie...

Pads were just about gone and discs were nasty due to the steel pins in the OEM pads...

Image Image

Got Marcus from Disc Skimmers to come and sort them out including re-drilling the holes... we threw on a new set of YellowStuffs while he was at it... did an incredible job at a good price and I can't recommend him highly enough, he even gave the calipers a thorough cleaning:

Image Image

Next up... a full Enhancement Detailing at a friend of mine's place.

The paint work was swirled up pretty bad especially the boot lid and roof, all sorted:

Tyres were down to 3mm and only 2 of them actually matched, so I thought I'd may as well get some fresh rubbers on her (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) and a full tracking/alignment done at the same time... oh and a cheeky plate change :lol:

Last edited by CharlieD on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
RS4 B7 Phantom Black Saloon
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Re: Charlie D's Build Thread

Post by CharlieD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:49 am

After a couple of months having fun driving the car... I felt it was time to shake things up a bit.

Time to try some new wheels (19" Rotiform Forged TMB Splits with Polished Finish), they looked good but would have needed big fat spacers for brake clearance. Decided against them in the end.

Picked these up instead off Jules... 20" 360 Forged 3-piece Mesh 8 with Staggered Concave, 9.5" all round on good Toyo Proxes. Only set like this in the UK and amazing fitment with no spacers needed.
Test fit was great however suspension looking too high! :wink:

Increasing the tempo a wee bit... H&R Anti-rollbars & Air suspension (Airlift Performance with AccuAir e-Level Management). Nice and low now :rocker:

Raised to speedbump height:

[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:14 am

The engine bay needed some attention, so threw in a Pipercross / Revo kit and some carbon bits :)

Bought a fresh set of Carbon engine covers without the yellowing. Haven't put them on yet as I want to try and protect them somehow first.

Got rid of the notorious Elvis bonnet gap at the front:

A couple of nice shots of the wheels and enjoying some limelight at some car meets :bigwave:

[

Build Thread

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:27 am

So the new induction kit sounds nice, but what sounds better? Yep that's right, a new exhaust! :)

Got a set of Tubi exhaust backboxes installed... quick teaser vid link below, will put up a proper one soon...

https://www.facebook.com/charlied/video ... 929673935/

Other than the Tubi backboxes, the exhaust is fully at stock at the minute.

Booked into MRC this Friday for a full decoke, stage 2 remap, CAF, deflap manifold, and decat downpipes, fingers crossed I get to see some nice numbers :smile_smoking:

Next mod coming soon... teaser pic: ;)

[

Build Thread

boombastik
3rd Gear

Post by boombastik » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:05 am

CharlieD wrote:Air suspension (Airlift Performance with AccuAir e-Level Management). Nice and low now :rocker:
looking very nice, got any more info on the air lift & what it was like to fit ?
RS4 B7 Saloon Milltek Cat back, CAF with piper cross panel, Wrapped optics black, Satin black wheels, TRUPS LED front DRL's & sides, goodridge braided hoses, H&R 10/15mm spares front/rear
Bilstien B16 coilovers with H&R anti roll bars
MRC stage 2 deflapped, precat gutted 439ps 481nm torque
1/4 mile time 12.884sec

My clutch replacement write up can be found here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=116929&start=15

Bogyoch
Neutral

Post by Bogyoch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:19 am

Hello Charlie

Your car looks very nice, and those wheels certainly enhance its appearance.

An aspect that does concern me though, are the brakes. After your man Marcus skimmed the discs, there is still the deep groove on the outer edge, as shown in your last picture of the disc. This groove can also be seen in the Chris Herbert picture, after the pads have been bedded in. I would guess that the disc thickness is probably under size: did he use a micrometer to measure this?

As the brakes are the only thing that stop you, I would be a bit concerned over this. Of course, if they fail, then usually a tree takes over their job.

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:44 am

Cheers :) And yep, Marcus didn't want to take the discs any thinner to get rid of the groove, as it's pretty deep.

He measured several times and although quite close, the discs aren't below minimum thickness yet. Will give them another measure tonight though as it has been several months since he did the work.

The groove itself I'm not too bothered about in all honesty.
boombastik wrote:looking very nice, got any more info on the air lift & what it was like to fit ?
Thanks bud. Basically you just buy the complete kit and follow the instructions. This is basically what I got with lots of extras plus a custom boot build with hard lines: http://caraudiosecurity.com/e-level-ele ... -a4-b7-kit

Installation Manual for front and back suspension:
http://www.airliftcompany.com/content/m ... MN-759.pdf
http://www.airliftcompany.com/content/m ... MN-760.pdf
[

Build Thread

boombastik
3rd Gear

Post by boombastik » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:03 am

did you do the install yourself or was the car put to a garage ?
RS4 B7 Saloon Milltek Cat back, CAF with piper cross panel, Wrapped optics black, Satin black wheels, TRUPS LED front DRL's & sides, goodridge braided hoses, H&R 10/15mm spares front/rear
Bilstien B16 coilovers with H&R anti roll bars
MRC stage 2 deflapped, precat gutted 439ps 481nm torque
1/4 mile time 12.884sec

My clutch replacement write up can be found here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=116929&start=15

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:14 am

Got a friend of mine to do it at his unit as he had done it 100s of times and is very tidy with his work. Didn't want to be messing about with £4k worth of kit tbh :smile_smoking:
[

Build Thread

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:38 am

I feel in love with those wheels when I 1st saw them on Luke's car (they were black or dark grey back then) and decided I wanted a set. Then I saw the price!!

Car is looking good Charlie, you've done a good job.
Personally I'd detango and then go for black optics and darks wheels but each to their own.

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:58 am

Thanks Mike :) And yeah detango and trim Already on the radar... here's a photoshop of what she should look like soon :)

[

Build Thread

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:47 am

Wow, those wheels are epic! Very very nice.

How does it ride on air?
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks mate. Yeah much comfier than stock considering I'm on 245/35's. I drove with those wheels over to get the air fitted and the ride was definitely much harder than it is now!

With the Performance suspension and 32mm solid ARBs it seems to handle corners way better too... way more control at the grip limits 8)
Last edited by CharlieD on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
[

Build Thread

DavidRS4
4th Gear

Post by DavidRS4 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:16 pm

Lovely looking car. Doing the same with the Gill on mine at the minute. Got an RS6 gloss black grill to go in pace of the old one. No more ugly plate filler! Having the fog lamp grills sprayed gloss black to.
B7 RS4 Saloon, Phantom Black, Forge Oil Cooler Kit, 20 x 10.5j Vossens, Carbon Front Splitter, KW V3 Coilovers, Adjustable Front Arms, 20mm Spacers, Revolution Carbon Air Box, Rear 4 Pot Porsche Brake Conversion, Stud & Nut Kit, Milltek Non Res Non Valved Exhaust, RS6 Gloss Black Grill, Slightly Tinted Windows, JH Motorsports Stage 3R Clutch & Lightweight Flywheel, Robnic Braided Clutch Line. JH Motorsports Lightweight Grooved F & R Rotors with Braided Hoses and Hawk Pads

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Now that's a sharp looking RS4, certainly black optics will make it look even meaner.
I like your mods a lot.
:thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”