What more expensive, owning a Ferrari or B7 ?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
anawaz
1st Gear

What more expensive, owning a Ferrari or B7 ?

Post by anawaz » Tue May 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Newbie here. been viewing the forum for week or so now, scary stuff. all i seem to be reading is about 'issues' and how much they cost to fix. not good.

conversely my poor lill 993's just sit there and ask for nothing, nothing at all !

JCviggen
5th Gear

Re: What more expensive, owning a Ferrari or B7 ?

Post by JCviggen » Tue May 19, 2015 4:57 pm

Were you expecting people to make topics called "This week once again nothing went wrong with my RS4" ? :)

Problems tend to be the only thing that move people to make a post. Forums work like that I guess. Either problems or modding related stuff.

I bought a B7 which definitely needed a bit of work doing to it and I'm not particularly upset with the costs so far. Even though the gearbox is coming out to be rebuilt it's still considerably cheaper than it was to get my C5 RS6 up to snuff (and it never really got there, to tell you the truth)

Once you get the common issues sorted there's not that much that goes wrong with these. Usually. On average. Generally speaking.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Tue May 19, 2015 5:01 pm

well to be fair they are old cars now and were £50k + new so have associated running costs.
there are a lot of well known faults for sure but I can't believe how robust a car it is really and they can be used everyday. apart from wear and tear and the dreaded oil cooler needing replacing mine has needed for nothing and mine is a high miler. just hope and pray you get a good one :)
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

anawaz
1st Gear

Post by anawaz » Tue May 19, 2015 6:00 pm

old cars... Porsche 993's are coming upto 20yr mark. don't see/hear about 'Eye Watering' bills on them and have been following for 8yrs now.

Its probably unfair to compare these two, they're different cars made by different manufacturers. i'm a car enthusiast and all-in-all Audi doesn't necessarily have the best reputation in terms of reliability when compared with other prestige market German manufacturers.

i'm not trying to scaremonger here having recently acquired my own B7 Avant. I'm just bracing myself for what might be ..

the full cover manufacturers extended warranty sounds like must, though going through the small print has to be a must.

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 pm

If you believe my mrs a b7 but really there not that bad if you do your homework and make sure all issues are sorted. I keep a slush fund of about 4 for it Incase it ever needs anything big. But since I've bought it it's had new discs and pads, 2 new drc shocks and system recharged, 4 new michelins and getting a full service tomorrow including gearbox and diff oil. But I really don't care it's worth it lol. Mpg is horrendous too but again I don't care just keep collecting those nectar points.

Just make sure you do your homework, I flew from Northern Ireland to mainland UK 3 times and flew back home carless, lot of sheds about and dealers turning them for a quick buck.

Good luck.

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue May 19, 2015 7:24 pm

Anawaz.

993's are simple engineered cars and the tech was just an evolution of what had been tried and tested before, so there is less to go wrong other than the Varioram system compared to others. The 996 tried new tech and look at all the problems you can get with those - RMS, IMS, cracked bores and blocked breather systems etc.

In this modern 'finance' day of age, expensive cars are now more accessible to every Tom, Dick and Harry than ever before. They pay the monthly sum and just run the nice car into the ground. Something starts to wear, it just gets ignored as the budget is not there to facilitate that level of vehicle and they can just hand it back in for the next financed car. The vehicle either gets ousted to the auction houses because it's not forecourt material or sold as an AUV vehicle with 1 years warranty before its then down to the private owner to foot the bill. Many don't and the car then gets palmed off and so the cycle continues.

Documented/provable history is everything. I've run my car for 2.5 years and over 25k miles, within that time it has never needed for anything other than regular servicing and the expected consumables. Actually tell a lie, it needed a new wheel speed sensor loom and a relay fitting, anything else I've spent has been improving the cars aesthetic or factory specification which has been my own choice. The previous keepers had big ticket items replaced under warranty or had footed the bill themselves, I carried out due diligence when buying my car and have not regretted it since. In fact, taking into account the cars appreciating value, it has been one of my cheapest cars to own ever.

To answer your question, a Ferrari will be more expensive to own than a B7 RS4.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Tacko
1st Gear

Post by Tacko » Tue May 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:Anawaz.

993's are simple engineered cars and the tech was just an evolution of what had been tried and tested before, so there is less to go wrong other than the Varioram system compared to others. The 996 tried new tech and look at all the problems you can get with those - RMS, IMS, cracked bores and blocked breather systems etc.

In this modern 'finance' day of age, expensive cars are now more accessible to every Tom, Dick and Harry than ever before. They pay the monthly sum and just run the nice car into the ground. Something starts to wear, it just gets ignored as the budget is not there to facilitate that level of vehicle and they can just hand it back in for the next financed car. The vehicle either gets ousted to the auction houses because it's not forecourt material or sold as an AUV vehicle with 1 years warranty before its then down to the private owner to foot the bill. Many don't and the car then gets palmed off and so the cycle continues.

Documented/provable history is everything. I've run my car for 2.5 years and over 25k miles, within that time it has never needed for anything other than regular servicing and the expected consumables. Actually tell a lie, it needed a new wheel speed sensor loom and a relay fitting, anything else I've spent has been improving the cars aesthetic or factory specification which has been my own choice. The previous keepers had big ticket items replaced under warranty or had footed the bill themselves, I carried out due diligence when buying my car and have not regretted it since. In fact, taking into account the cars appreciating value, it has been one of my cheapest cars to own ever.

To answer your question, a Ferrari will be more expensive to own than a B7 RS4.
:beerchug: :mrgreen:
2007 Daytona Grey Audi B7 RS4

Deano_123
3rd Gear

Post by Deano_123 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:30 am

If you dont drive your 993's then dont expect them to go wrong, this is the third post where I've read you wax lyrical about your 993's, shall I tell you about my collection of plates?

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Wed May 20, 2015 10:21 am

Yay! Let's talk about our collections. I collect hymen - I'm always torn about which one is my favourite but then I look at my first one and I feel honeymoon fresh again...
No matter where you go, there you are.

MB2
Top Gear

Post by MB2 » Wed May 20, 2015 12:09 pm

I have owned my RS4 since 2009 and the only expenses other than regular servicing have been as follows -

2009 Blue Tooth Kit - this was to add it as an option to the car
2009 - Sat Nav DVD - to add TMC function
2010 - Front Brake pads
2010 - Wheel refurbish
2010 - DRC replaced (under warranty)
2012 - Coolant reservoir replaced - for cosmetic purposes
2015 - Wheel refurb - although barely needed

I am aware it has the potential for needing aux radiator & oil cooler at some point, but Audi said the disks will be OK for another set of pads, pads are worn but light isn't on yet so it has definitely been far cheaper to run than a Ferrari or even many cars !

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”