Faisal's RS4

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
marc1
Cruising

Re: Faisal's RS4

Post by marc1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:49 am

Suppose it could have been worse... You might have let him drive the B7 and then there really would be tears. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:44 am

The obligatory video:

http://youtu.be/1blrMtY88n8

Only my second track outing, so I realise I'm going to be much slower than a lot of you guys. Still learning and didn't want too push too hard, but was awesome fun. I want to go do it again tomorrow!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

HK_RS4
Neutral

Post by HK_RS4 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:41 am

Awesome !!
First , I love your car and in addition , you make trackDays with it , which is something I would love to do (but not possible where I live)
many people are saying that it is not a track car , what is your feeling ??
it is very heavy ; what about brake feeling ?
r u doing a special set-up on the KW ?
2000 Avus RS4 B5 OEM
2006 Black RS4 B7 Milltek sold

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:27 am

HK_RS4 wrote:Awesome !!
First , I love your car and in addition , you make trackDays with it , which is something I would love to do (but not possible where I live)
many people are saying that it is not a track car , what is your feeling ??
it is very heavy ; what about brake feeling ?
r u doing a special set-up on the KW ?
Thanks bud! I love it too! :beerchug:

It's most definitely a heavy car, and you do feel it on track! Combined with my inexperience at track driving, and desire to keep the car in one piece, it means I was often moving over to allow through a lot of lighter but less powerful cars that were cornering faster than me. That said, I could out-drag most of those cars on the straights. The brakes felt pretty good to me...on my first trackday I only really started stepping on them hard in the afternoon, and was pretty surprised how effective they were.

It's not the quickest car around the track, but that's besides the point...it was just really good fun!

My KW V3's are setup for the rough roads in my area, so damping settings soft and ride height not crazy low. i didn't bother changing them for the track. I just checked fluids, chucked on a set of part worn tyres (which are still fine after the trackday), filled her up with 99RON and off I went!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

HK_RS4
Neutral

Post by HK_RS4 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:58 am

that's my point too , enjoying the car power without chasing the clock
Thxs for the feedback
2000 Avus RS4 B5 OEM
2006 Black RS4 B7 Milltek sold

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:37 pm

Minor update.

Since having a pioneer SPH-DA120 installed in the wifey mobile, and seeing how nicely it fits in the dash, I suddenly started taking offence as to how much my pioneer AVH-X8700BT in the RS4 protrudes from the fascia! It also has a bit of trim around the HU which the fascia in the golf doesn't have. So, I had the fascia and cage swapped for a different version from connects2, and as before had the fascia painted with grey model paint to match the dash better. Had the microphone moved up from on top of the steering wheel to near the rear view mirror as it was picking up too much noise when I was on the phone.

This fascia isn't really meant to be used with HU's that have a flip open function, but I haven't once used the flip ...can't remember the last time I used a CD or DVD!

RS4 Before. Notice the black trim around the HU, and how it protrudes forward.

After. Much better!

For reference, this is the SPH-DA120 in the Golf. Wish I got this unit for mine now, cheaper with all the functions I actually need, and a nicer looking unit in my opinion.

I think I'll swap out the unit if/when wireless Carplay eventually arrives. I do lots of short trips, so the phone doesn't need to be on charge for those so can sit in my pocket but I'd be able to still access nav and music on the HU. Apparently VW were ready to demo wireless Carplay at CES but Apple stepped in and stopped them, as they want to do the launch. Hurry up!!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

daytonamart
5th Gear

Post by daytonamart » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm not sold on the surround Faisal, the one in the Golf looks 100% better IMO.
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

Chuds1
1st Gear

Post by Chuds1 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:40 pm

Faisal the HU looks a hundred times better now, looks great. I've never really been a fan of aftermarket HU's but you've cracked it there. :thumbs: hmmm think I'll need to get shopping. :biggrin3:
RS4 B7 Saloon Sprint Blue, Bilstein B14 Coilovers, Milltek Cat Back resonated non valved. Spacers 8mm F and 10mm R. Headlight clear zenon lens upgrade with 5500k bulbs plus indicator orange lens delete.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:12 pm

daytonamart wrote:I'm not sold on the surround Faisal, the one in the Golf looks 100% better IMO.
You are of course correct, the golf one is absolutely bang on. The plastic colour and texture match is perfect, and the HU sits perfectly.

It seems impossible to get a perfect surround for the RS. Had the same issue with my old B6 S4, which has essentially the same dashboard. I think I've got it as good as I can, using the new surround, and the colour matched paint. It would look better if I actually had the same HU as the Golf, as it has a thinner bezel and doesn't protrude at all. Doh! :boohoo:
Chuds1 wrote:Faisal the HU looks a hundred times better now, looks great. I've never really been a fan of aftermarket HU's but you've cracked it there. :thumbs: hmmm think I'll need to get shopping. :biggrin3:
Thanks mate. I couldn't handle the Audi nav and BOSE audio, it had to go! :thumbsdown:

If you're on the hunt, I'd seriously consider the Pioneer SPH-DA120. Bargain at £290ish for the functionality you get in my opinion. You can still use steering wheel controls, make calls and compose texts using Siri, use apple maps for nav, access all music on your phone + spotify. I use soundcloud a lot, can play that through the system too but you can't control that from the HU for the time being (no carplay app yet.)

The only issue with these systems, which could be a deal breaker depending where you live, is having internet access! I'm generally OK where I live. I've got an old tom tom in the glovebox as an emergency backup, but not had to use it yet.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:28 am

Apologies for the double post (this is in the trackdays & Meets section too), but I wanted to also include in my progress thread.

RS246 Boxhill Meet & Tunnel Run Jan 2016:

http://youtu.be/vxJwGPXlFE0
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

maars
3rd Gear

Post by maars » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:32 am

Great video. Love the ending! :mrgreen:
Daytona RS4 Avant - black optics/decat downpipes/H-pipe/KW springs - featured on the 2012 Audi stand at the Goodwood FoS

ChrisW
3rd Gear

Post by ChrisW » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:24 am

Love a bit of Guy Gerber too :)
Current: 07' B7 RS4 Avant
Previous: Mk2 Golf VR6 conversion, Mk2 Golf GTi 16v, Mk2 Golf 1.6 GL Auto, Mk3 Golf R32 conversion, BMW Z4 Coupe, BMW 430d, Audi S3, Defender 90 XS, Alfa Romeo 145

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:40 pm

is the golf hu nav? or is it through your phone internet?

love the golf screen very slick, does any info still show on the dis?

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:56 am

Rick_RS4 wrote:is the golf hu nav? or is it through your phone internet?

love the golf screen very slick, does any info still show on the dis?
Nav is through Apple maps on your phone, so yes you do need internet connection. I keep an old tomtom one in my RS4 as a backup but not had to use it yet.

No info on the DIS unfortunately, but steering wheel controls work.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Another proud moment for the breadvan today, first MOT I've got done...sailed through with 0 advisories!

Was a little apprehensive about my lack of pre-cats but not an issue in the end.

It also had a full service; switched to 5w40 Fuchs Titan, supplied some NGK plugs, and decided to flush and refill the coolant (had to top it up with water when I couldn't get hold of G12 over Xmas.)

Approaching 100k miles now but you'd never guess looking at it or driving it!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

Return to “Readers' Rides”