Faisal's RS4

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Faisal's RS4

Post by FaisalJ » Thu May 21, 2015 9:01 am

RS6BRIT wrote:No worries Faisal, it was good to meet you mate, and thanks for the link to the resonator pipe thread. That makes for some very interesting reading and maybe should be posted up on here for other to read. I'm having my 2 new boxes fitted tomorrow so fingers crossed that it will quieten down enough to live with ! Ifeel it's quieter but still drones then I might go to Mr exhaust on Saturday and see if they can fab up a resonator pipeople to kill the drone.

Doc, what Faisal is having is IMO the way to go. You'll still have your flaps for the quiet option, and you'll see power gains from the piggies and the cross pipe. I'd be surprised if you would get much more out of the 2.75 pipes with the exception of maybe a migraine! !
Likewise mate! Hope the resonators today do the trick!

This thread I came across, for the benefit of others, is around the idea of quarter resonator pipes to cancel drone. The idea being that you add a capped pipe to your system, with a length of 1/4 of the wavelength giving you resonance/drone. The soundwave will travel down the resonator pipe and back into the main system half a wavelength out of phase, causing destructive interference and, in theory, cancelling out some of the drone.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums ... ne-489463/
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:17 am

Well that's an interesting read. It appears to work too.

Just where to put the pipes.

Mines in for decat and extra silencers next week so will see if that sorts it. If not I'm going to add a couple of these.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sat May 23, 2015 11:11 am

Downpipes with precats replaced with new pipework, and 200 CEL main cats still in place:

New centre pipework with x section:

Joins not welded so I can swap the whole centre section for the resonated one I have now sitting in my garage (not that I think I will!):

The exhaust sounds much more to my liking now and I swear the car has a bit more low down torque.

The only slight annoyance is that we couldn't hook up the valves without some extra pipework, seems vortex cut the vacuum pipes down. I may not bother though, the exhaust isn't too loud even with flaps left open.

Overall very pleased Image
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Sat May 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Looks a little mish mashbut hay that looks like the same route I may go and I like the fact you can swap in res if you like.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue May 26, 2015 11:01 am

Nice simple job yesterday (if a bit fiddly), swapping out the yellow sidelights for some LEDs from Trups. DRL's, interior and numberplate lights were already LEDs, just the sidelights that needed updating.

Can barely see the light in the "before" pic so won't bother uploading it, but here's the after pic. Crisp:

2007 RS4 B7 Avant

Bladerider
4th Gear

Post by Bladerider » Tue May 26, 2015 12:45 pm

WOW !!

Interesting read, Well done for getting it all sorted.

Im intrigued at the use of a quarter wave stub for exhaust drone - we use them for RF transmission issues and alot of filter technology is based on this principle.

J.
07 RS4 Avus Avant : Usual spec with Buckets+FBSW+iPod dock+TV etc...100k+
Thanks to GBH Motorsport MRC Tuning VirdeeAuto Dubstep AwesomeGTI Wallachie Trups
H&R - Coilovers ARBs Spacers : 034 - RearArms Droplinks BilletMounts StrutTops : Eibach FrontArms : Powerflex Bushes
MRC - Stage2 Map+codeouts Stage2 Inlet+7mm gasket Stage2 deCarbon CAF : BMC Filter : Milltek Decats NonRes
Anthracite Alloys : Advan Neovas : Ferodo Pads+Castrol SRF : HEL Brakelines : Trups LED lighting

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Couple of updates:

Had the suspension raised very slightly (around 5mm all round) and the rebound settings moved a few clicks softer. The ride and ride height is perfect now! I can straddle the narrow speed humps at 20-25mph with no fear of scraping the underside of the car :thumb: It still handles great but is a touch more supple over crappy roads.

I don't think the looks have suffered too much, pic after the suspension changes were done:

Next up: It's going into an audio installer tomorrow evening for a couple of days, having the following done... can't wait:

- Pioneer AVH-X8700BT headunit (android auto/apple carplay - can connect phone, control apps from HU e.g run google maps)
- Painting the HU surround in "black rubber" paint to better match the dash
- JL XD series amp
- "Kustom box", sub box that goes in the cubby hole area of the boot. Having it retrimmed to match the boot (comes in black)
- JL 10" sub
- Focal front components
- Dynamat in front doors

Looking forward to it!

Have been trying to sort some wheels but is proving a lot more difficult than I thought! I really like concave mesh wheels such as the 3SDM 0.01 and Ispiri ISR10, but they both fit with difficulty....need massive spacers to get over the front calipers. Currently looking at some others similar in style to the 3SDM. I might go for some BBS CH-R's if all else fails, but would like something more concave if possible.
Last edited by FaisalJ on Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:09 pm

That looks great Faisal, can you do me a favour and measure from the floor to the arches please ? Mine has settled now and it's a tiny bit too low, yours looks great so if you don't mind I'll set mine up the same. Also how much is all that costing you at the Audio Shop ? Pm if you like, be good to know for future reference. :thumbs:

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:16 pm

Hey mate. Just so happens I already measured straight after picking it up...65.0cm up front and 65.5cm rear.

I'll pm the pricing tomorrow, still to pin down some details.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:12 pm

So I picked up the car from the audio installer on Wednesday (Safe N Sound in Croydon, David was very helpful). Went away to Cornwall on Thursday for a few days so was great to have the new audio system up and running.

It's so much better than the OEM bose; cleaner sound with much more depth and punch. I've still got the EQ set to flat and haven't messed with the amp settings, will get used to it for a while and then tweak the settings.

The sub box (a connects2 Kustom box intended for a B6 A4 avant), needed a bit of modification to get it in, as the lower part of the box would otherwise foul the vacuum reservoir and other gubbins around it. The amp is very small, and easily fits in the foam area in the wheel well. Unfortunately, David didn't have a matching carpet in stock and couldn't get one by Weds night when i needed the car back, but he said he will retrim the box for free at a later date.

I had some difficulty with the pioneer headunit and getting the Android auto to work well with my samsung S5, but turns out that's because I didn't have a necessary cable kit from pioneer. So, used my wife's iphone 6 and Apple CarPlay instead. As you'd expect from Apple, its very simple with no messing around with settings on the phone or HU to get it working. You just plug the phone into the car and then an Apple menu appears on the HU; nav, messages, music etc all there. The navigation looks good on the screen (only have a really crappy image taken while we were driving), and can use siri to set locations. Can even have Siri dictate messages or read them aloud while driving. You really don't need to touch the phone, it can stay out of sight in the glovebox. Every in app screen has a home button to go back to the main menu. Nice. I might have to ditch the samsung.

In other news; new wheels are on their way to me, hoping to fit this weekend. Went for some similar to the 3DSM 0.01's but that should work with an effective ET20. If they don't, BBS CH-R's it is. Question then is 19x9.5 or go crazy and go for some 20x10.5 CH-R's!

And unrelated to the audio update, but of course the RS was great on the roads in cornwall! :biggrin3:
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:40 pm

No need to spend out on over priced Pioneer leads thusshould do the trick.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micro-USB-5p- ... 1e8ffec9cc

had the same issue when sorting out my son's pioneer, also check the firmware is up to date.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:22 pm

Yes!!! They fit!!

Unboxing:

Concave:

25mm H&R spacers on, and praying that I got my measurements right that I sent off to a few wheel manufacturers and dealers:

It was going to be tight, the wheels clear the calipers with just a couple of mm to spare. ET45 wheel plus 25mm spacer = effective ET20, perfect.

Now I've done the test fit, need to get hold of spacers for the rear as well and grt the tyes sorted. Should look good I hope

The concave look I was after:

By the way docurley, thanks for the tip on the firmware and cables. I updated the firmware, however my S5 has started playing up anyway so decided to pack it in and will be getting an iphone. Works much better with the pioneer anyway.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:41 pm

New wheels are on! :biggrin3:

Just the look I was after too. What d'ya reckon?

I put some fresh eagle F1's on too. Original wheels are off to lepsons next week, still umming and aghing about colour choice. Want them to be fairly dark but not black, so might go for audi L8AU paint but with a gloss finish.

Repainting the front bumper next.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:12 am

Looks fantastic mate. Love em, I'm going to get mine refurbished in silver as I think against the black it looks better. However like you I'm planning to get the stockers redone in a darker shade to spice things up in the winter !!

j1sgo
3rd Gear

Post by j1sgo » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:30 pm

Those wheels look awsome :rocker:
Now - Audi SQ5 Plus and planning future A3 3.2 DSG Turbo Project ;)
2011 - 2016 - Daytona RS4 Avant SS+ - Mods: K&N, CAF, Fixed Valves, 2013 RNSE, 8mm Spacers All Round, Carbon Clean, Stage 2 MRC Manifold, Gutted Cats, MRC Stage 2 - 437ps 472Nm
2010 - 2011 Audi 3.0 Q /sport (220bhp)
2003 - 2011 Vauxhall Astra GSI Turbo (340bhp)
2000 - 2003 Vauxhall Astra Sport 2.0 16v 150bhp

Return to “Readers' Rides”