Faisal's RS4

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Faisal's RS4

Post by FaisalJ » Fri May 08, 2015 11:23 am

Couple of updates:

- Had the front windows tinted to the same shade as the rear. Done at Autoshades in Sutton, highly recommended. I've had 4 cars done there, and they even fitted a neutral look privacy film to the windows at my home - can see out, but from the outside it just looks as if the windows are extra reflective (but not mirror/chrome effect.)

- I took the car into vortex exhausts today - thought I'd get them to have a look at it before I decided for sure to take off the system. Turns out that the pre-cats, cats, silencers and vortex units are all completely burnt out! Only the backboxes are intact. Hence the volume and drone. :thumbsdown: . They say they won't cover under their warranty as the car has been remapped, tracked, and the system was not designed for either. They say that if they had known when the system was first fitted, they could have used more suitable units with higher temperature resistant media/packing in them. They are going to split the cost of replacement units with me, with higher quality internals this time.

Hope I've made the right decision. Cost wise, I think it'll actually work out cheaper than re-fitting a standard exhaust and replacing the knackered cats. Hopefully I'll end up with a functioning aftermarket system, quieter than it is now, with a lifetime guarantee (that now should actually be lifetime!).

Get the car back on Monday.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Fri May 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me, frankly.

Exhaust system "burnt out" from remap or tracking the car?? What cheap ass China components did they use for it? It's not supposed to happen no matter what. Remaps don't drastically alter the exhaust temperature at all.

You don't want to have any pre cats. Main cats, sure. I don't think any aftermarket downpipe has precats in it, and they would be stupid to include. The stock downpipes with precats gutted do great and will take any abuse you throw at them.

I would not want to spend a single penny with the people who told me that story...

How did they "diagnose" these issues?
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Fri May 08, 2015 2:06 pm

Sound like a bunch of TOSSERS, get a JC weld fab exhaust instead

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 pm

RIV wrote:Sound like a bunch of TOSSERS, get a JC weld fab exhaust instead
Roughly how much would I be looking at?
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Fri May 08, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm not sure on price!
They are a site Sponsor now, maybe worth a ring to see if you can get any discount
I've seen Neil's system at the boxhill meet, it's top notch stuff
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=114693

MartayMcFly
5th Gear

Post by MartayMcFly » Fri May 08, 2015 3:34 pm

It might end up costing more to get a JC Weldfab system (likely be cheaper RRP, but if Vortex covering half the replacement price maybe not) but I'd just tell Vortex to get to f**k. Burnt out from remap? Not designed for track use? Were you doing an endurance race or something? Surely the heat cycles of fast road driving would be more harmful to the exhaust components, and like others have said a remap doesn't increase exhaust temps. Sounds like teflon coated shoulders to me, I'd avoid future dealings with them.
2001 8L S3 - sold
2008 8P2 S3 - sold
2007 B7 RS4 - sold
2006 B7 RS4 (supercharged) - sold
2016 C7 RS6 - sold
2015 8V RS3 Stage 3 - sold
2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon May 11, 2015 11:22 am

The plot thickens...

So Vortex cut the race cats off the car today and found that the internals have actually been cut out completely. One vortex box is fine, the other is damaged.

As a result of their cats being modified they are no longer willing to give me any goodwill towards replacing damaged parts (they were going to charge me just parts at ex. VAT rates). They've stopped work on it for now, and the workshop manager who is out today wants a look at it tomorrow morning before agreeing next steps. (Might involve recovering the car from Essex to Surrey :? Anyone know a good recovery company?)

I really just want to take the car away tonight but I can't as the exhaust has been cut up and I have to wait for the manager to have a look. Current plan is to get the car the hell out of there asap, get a standard full system from a forum member (provisionally agreed), and get the pre-cats gutted on that and get fitted. May get longlife exhausts in Carshalton to do an x-pipe soon as well, but would like to drive the car a bit with the standard system.

Feeling a bit depressed about buying the car now, but I'm sure it'll get sorted. I hope.

:bash:
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Mon May 11, 2015 11:32 am

What a thoroughly shitty situation. To agree a deal with you and then change their position once work has commenced is a disgrace.

Surely they must be obliged to return your car to the condition it entered their premises. If they have any common decency they should. Keep us updated; interested to hear what the manager has to say about the whole situation.

If nothing else, I've learned from this thread never to go near Vortex.

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon May 11, 2015 11:38 am

Ellis wrote:
If nothing else, I've learned from this thread never to go near Vortex.
Amen.

Going to start calling recovery companies. I feel like just getting it out of there today!! But I should probably wait to see if they will get it to a condition in which I can drive it away.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Mon May 11, 2015 12:19 pm

Don't become disheartened with it all though. We all get those enthusiast moments where you could just end it all and buy something run of the mill for lack of problems. You will soon find a solution and this moment will be relegated to the past and long forgotten.

I do however agree with the concept of removing the car from there promptly but if it was me, I would prime the recovery companies and await feedback from their manager. I am interested to see how this all pans out.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon May 11, 2015 1:03 pm

I'd speak to Kev and see if he modded then exhausts. I don't understand why anybody would either gut one cat and not the other, or more importantly, why would you cut up an expensive race cat when you can buy a decat pipe for next to nothing. Something smells fishy here. I wonder if the cat was installed that way?

Rs4.
3rd Gear

Post by Rs4. » Mon May 11, 2015 1:05 pm

If it was me I would just go down with the recovery know !!
You seem set on what you want with stock system
No point dealing with them ...
Good luck getting it sorted
Rs4 phantom black b7 avant : Mrc tuned

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon May 11, 2015 2:23 pm

I'd just drive it with no exhaust, I'm told that is quieter than my old Tubi was.

PS I've used longlife twice before on old cars of mine and never had any issues. One of the bracket broke away from a back box once but they welded it back on straight away, no quibbles.

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Mon May 11, 2015 2:26 pm

MikeFish wrote:I don't understand why anybody would either gut one cat and not the other, or more importantly, why would you cut up an expensive race cat when you can buy a decat pipe for next to nothing.
Only reason I can imagine is a failed cat which had clogged itself. Still you'd want to do them both of course but it could happen. Particularly with the kind of "quality parts" this outfit seems to use.

Stock system with gutted precats is pretty nice to be honest, with the valves in the back boxes open. Could be louder but I wouldn't call it quiet and the tone is very good.
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Mon May 11, 2015 2:37 pm

like Ellis said, I know this is a shitty situation but try not to become too disheartened. I had some teething issues when I got mine and had serious doubts about whether I should have bought the car if I'm honest, that was a while back now and long forgotten. once it is all sorted and you can start enjoying the car you'll be 100% you made the right choice :)
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

Return to “Readers' Rides”