Faisal's RS4

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
neilparf
Cruising

Re: Faisal's RS4

Post by neilparf » Mon May 11, 2015 6:43 pm

RIV wrote:I'm not sure on price!
They are a site sponsor now, maybe worth a ring to see if you can get any discount
I've seen Neil's system at the boxhill meet, it's top notch stuff
viewtopic.php?f=112&t=114693
Speak to Mark at JCWF. Full system incl. Down pipes was £2.2K +VAT including fitted and that includes valves for the more 'sedate' moments...

It'll be a single, once only job and the exhaust won't need revisiting. A new RRP OEM system would be way more. Not sure about your main cats - are they in good condition? Personally, a OEM second hand is cheaper but my money I'd go hand made fit once only... but it's all about the cash, of course.

Exhaust burnt out? What toss. As said before, what materials are they using?

Good luck.
Attachments
1669910_675537552488502_487835760_o-1.jpg
Last edited by neilparf on Mon May 11, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon May 11, 2015 6:44 pm

JCviggen wrote:I would not want to spend a single penny with the people who told me that story...
This.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Mon May 11, 2015 9:46 pm

Neil, that looks exceedingly tidy under there! I did speak to JCWF a couple of days ago. Before I give some proper attention to the exhaust though I'd like to get suspension adjusted, paintwork on the bumpers attended to, and new wheels.

For now, I've got second hand standard downpipes and exhaust lined up, a recovery truck on standby for tomorrow, and an exhaust Shop near home ready to receive the car and fit the exhaust for me (after gutting the pre-cats).

I'll be massively relieved once the car is on its way tomorrow hopefully!

Wish me luck...
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon May 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Cheers Faisal!

That sounds like a bunch of priorities in the right order - good luck!

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue May 12, 2015 11:09 am

Some progress, the car is out of Vortex!! Woohooo!!! On its way down to longlife in Carshalton, where a standard exhaust will be going on shortly.

:rant:

So piecing it together, this is what seems to have happened with this system:

- The pre-cats were gutted, rather than removed. Not sure why, as Kev's intention seems to have been a pre-cat delete.
- The sports cats failed at some point, and these were then gutted too rather than replaced under warranty.
- The vortex boxes (their amazing patented "technology" that is meant to aid gas flow) which are downstream of the cats also failed
- The backboxes are ok

In terms of my dealings with Vortex. Keeping it factual:

- Their initial assessment that components had failed came from knocking them with a hammer and hearing they were hollow. We didn't know at that time that the cats had been messed with, although they later said there were cuts and re-welds (which surely must have been visible?)
- Working on the assumption that the components had failed, they refused to honour their lifetime guarantee. They argued that a) the car had been tracked and remapped, and b) the guarantee does not transfer to the new owner of the car
- Regarding b), this was not mentioned anywhere on their website or on the original receipt. They refused to send over their terms and conditions for the guarantee (although they initially said they would and then delayed it several times), saying they had no obligation to disclose
- They initially wanted £1k to repair the system. After many phonecalls, they agreed to replace the failed components with uprated ones at parts ex. VAT price
- Once they inspected the cats properly, they saw the pre-cats and cats had all been gutted. They said they would not being doing any further work on the car, or release the car until the workshop manager had a look this morning
- Following that discussion yesterday morning, I told them that I will take the car away at the earliest opportunity and did not want a vortex system on there, however they then installed 2 new sports cats! These were cut off this morning when my recovery guys showed up. I don't know if they were expecting me to pay for these, but I had no intention in doing so
- I agreed to pay a minimal labour charge for their time to inspect the cats, and had them cut the vortex system off completely.

So the vortex is where it belongs. In the bin.

So in summary; these guys are cowboys and their product is rubbish, don't take your car anywhere near them!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Tue May 12, 2015 12:24 pm

FaisalJ wrote:...take the car away at the earliest opportunity and did not want a vortex system on there, however they then installed 2 new sports cats!
:shock:

Geeze.

Cluster f•ck.

At least it's out of Dodge...

Ellis
2nd Gear

Post by Ellis » Tue May 12, 2015 12:59 pm

Mother of God. What a bunch of cowboys.

Thankfully it's out of there now and you have a resolution. Won't ever be using them, that's for sure.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:03 pm

Did you not have a look for yourself to see if the cats had been gutted or tampered with. ? If it was mine I'd be straight under there? Did you not fit the vortex system yourself?

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Tue May 12, 2015 1:28 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:vortex system yourself?
Rick, previous owner (Sync24/Kev) had the Vortex fitted...

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue May 12, 2015 1:35 pm

Rick_RS4 wrote:Did you not have a look for yourself to see if the cats had been gutted or tampered with. ? If it was mine I'd be straight under there? Did you not fit the vortex system yourself?
Unfortunately not.

The first I heard about the cats being gutted was yesterday morning, no way I could get out of work for the 3.5-4hr round trip to get there and back. Ended up having to leave work slightly early anyway to get to a doc appointment for my son who has picked up a nasty tummy bug. So I just focused on organising getting the car the hell out of there ASAP!

The system was fitted by the previous owner in 2013, I've only owned the car for a couple of weeks.

I do actually believe them that they were gutted. Kev, the previous owner, had mentioned he had made some mods to the exhaust, but I was under the impression that the mods were along the lines of removing centre resonators and pre-cats, not carving up the inside of the race cats. I wonder now if the "failed" vortex units were also gutted (vortex never got as far as opening them up.) Maybe something got lost in translation, I don't think there was any ill-intent.

Regardless, the system was turd and had to go.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:42 pm

Good to see you've got a positive attitude with it all mate. Soon it will be just as you want it and you can enjoy it fully. Hope your son is ok too.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Tue May 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Ah I see. I thought you were at vortex at the time.

What a bugger. Could you not make a system out of the parts and use new boxes maybe? Or was it all cut up?

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Wed May 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Right, some progress at last!

First off, thanks to Matt/RS6BRIT for his standard exhaust and downpipes. After a bit of a delay getting hold of them, got the bits over to meet my car which has been sat at longlife since being recovered there last week.

Longlife are today working on the system; cutting off the pre-cats and replacing with new pipe, and making a new centre section with an x-pipe. If I want/need to in future I will be able to swap the x-section for the standard section with centre resonator.

Excited to get the car back, hopefully tomorrow!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Wed May 20, 2015 4:52 pm

FaisalJ wrote:Right, some progress at last!

First off, thanks to Matt/RS6BRIT for his standard exhaust and downpipes. After a bit of a delay getting hold of them, got the bits over to meet my car which has been sat at longlife since being recovered there last week.

Longlife are today working on the system; cutting off the pre-cats and replacing with new pipe, and making a new centre section with an x-pipe. If I want/need to in future I will be able to swap the x-section for the standard section with centre resonator.

Excited to get the car back, hopefully tomorrow!
I'm thinking of doing something similar. Although I like the idea of a 2.75" system I have a feeling I may not be able to live with it or should I say the neighbours and the missus giving me hell that is. The idea if cutting or gutting the piggies and putting a X-pipe in and leaving everything else stock is starting to appeal to me, I wont see the potential gains with the 2.75" but I would think I should see some gains and a louder but manageable system.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Wed May 20, 2015 8:26 pm

No worries Faisal, it was good to meet you mate, and thanks for the link to the resonator pipe thread. That makes for some very interesting reading and maybe should be posted up on here for other to read. I'm having my 2 new boxes fitted tomorrow so fingers crossed that it will quieten down enough to live with ! Ifeel it's quieter but still drones then I might go to Mr exhaust on Saturday and see if they can fab up a resonator pipeople to kill the drone.

Doc, what Faisal is having is IMO the way to go. You'll still have your flaps for the quiet option, and you'll see power gains from the piggies and the cross pipe. I'd be surprised if you would get much more out of the 2.75 pipes with the exception of maybe a migraine! !

Return to “Readers' Rides”