Faisal's RS4

Start a topic to show off your car or keep us updated on your journey
FaisalJ
Cruising

Re: Faisal's RS4

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:07 pm

maars wrote:Who do you use for your refurbs?
Alloywheeldoctor in Horley, wouldn't go anywhere else now! As good as Lepsons in my opinion, but cheaper, don't charge extra if wheels have tyres, and collect/dropoff for me for free.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:30 pm

Tried to use the above, but they never replied to my communications. Their loss.

Have previously used both Lepsons and Wheelworks, who do provide a great service. However, I've now found and utilised Chichester Cars Ltd and all my alloy wheel needs will be carried out by Tom and his team now.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

maars
3rd Gear

Post by maars » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:09 pm

What do these guys charge for refurbing a set of four wheels?
Daytona RS4 Avant - black optics/decat downpipes/H-pipe/KW springs - featured on the 2012 Audi stand at the Goodwood FoS

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:00 pm

maars wrote:What do these guys charge for refurbing a set of four wheels?
Depends...

I've paid the following prices per wheel for different jobs:

£50: 18" VW Golf Monzas. Asked for just the face to be repainted (L8AU), barrels were left alone

£75: 19" full refurb; powdercoat or paint finish

£100: 19" split rims, split and full refurb, custom powdercoat colour, satin finish, bolts polished

£125: 18" split rim that was buckled and was gouged (after an encounter with a sausage kerb at donington), so needed straightening, welding, and lip re-diamond cut. Before/after:

Surrey Sam wrote:Tried to use the above, but they never replied to my communications. Their loss.
I've let them know I'm very disappointed that they let Sam down, after I recommend them. Their one downside is that they're a small outfit, husband and wife running it, with a couple of people working for them. Juliet, that takes all the calls, can be a bit unresponsive when they're busy. Nigel, who actually does the workshop repairs, is excellent however.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

maars
3rd Gear

Post by maars » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:21 pm

Thanks for the examples. The quality looks spot on too. You must be eligible for their first loyalty card!!
Daytona RS4 Avant - black optics/decat downpipes/H-pipe/KW springs - featured on the 2012 Audi stand at the Goodwood FoS

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:50 am

Pollen - It's a b*stard. Be warned.

So, after a recent week away, where the car was parked in a forest for a week, I noticed lots of fine flecks in the paint. Only visible close up, and very difficult to photograph. They were on the car in the recent reflection shots I posted, for example, but can't be seen in the photos. They're visible in this closeup pic (see the reflection of the house):
Paint 1.JPG
And this pic with the flash makes them look worse than they actually are:
Paint 2.JPG
I had assumed it was just surface contamination, and I'd be able to remove it easily. For example tree sap, which can just be removed with clay - wrong. :bash:

I emailed G-Techniq and got some advice from their MD Rob, so over the weekend I had a go at removing the imperfections, just on the spoiler. After a wash, I tried some detailing clay. It did take off some contaminants, but the marks were still there. Then, following Rob's advice, I tried a light polish - white hex pad, little to no pressure. No effect. Then I upped the ante, with a heavy cutting red pad, wolfgang tsr polish, and a bit of pressure. This made a definite improvement, but the marks are still there (although you have to be very close to the car to see them.) I stopped there, feeling completely gutted.

I concluded that the actual EXO coating might be damaged, rather than something on top of it. I think the pollen, which can be acidic, has actually etched the coating. I didn't realise such a thing could happen!

I've exchanged a number of emails now with Rob, and spoken to KDS (where the coating was applied). They both say that pollen can absolutely cause damage to paintwork, and to the EXO coating. The crystal serum below should be much more resistant.

Next steps are that I'll be taking the car into KDS for them to have a look in the coming days, and we'll come up with a plan.

Bloody trees.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

daytonamart
5th Gear

Post by daytonamart » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:04 am

Sad times Faisal, I did not know that pollen could be this damaging, I always try and park away from any tree for fear of sap contamination but it's not always possible.

Full detail/paint correction coming up?
Gone B8.5 A5 Sportback Black Edition Plus Floret Silver
Current C6 A6 Avant Silver TDi S line snotter
Gone B7 RS4 Sprint Blue Avant
Gone 8P A3 Sportback Reflex Silver
Gone 8V A3 Saloon Daytona Grey
Gone B7 A4 Reflex Silver
Gone B7 RS4 Daytona Grey Avant

rspj
4th Gear

Post by rspj » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:16 am

I live near lots of trees it blows in wind. And it starts to cover cars this time of year I always try to wash cars more this time of year its sticks to cars just like pigeon <beep> going to shoot them.
rs4 b8 Suzuka, grey 14

rspj
4th Gear

Post by rspj » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:19 am

Hope it works out for you faisal and gets sorted good to see results at next Bh meet
rs4 b8 Suzuka, grey 14

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:51 pm

daytonamart wrote:Sad times Faisal, I did not know that pollen could be this damaging, I always try and park away from any tree for fear of sap contamination but it's not always possible.

Full detail/paint correction coming up?
Me either! I thought I'd have to clay the car after a week parked in a forest, but never saw this coming!

I think a paint correction will indeed be needed. I should know more tomorrow after KDS take a look. GTechniq have offered to pay for half of the work at KDS, and want me to trial a new version of EXO which they say is more resistant to stains etc.
rspj wrote:Hope it works out for you faisal and gets sorted good to see results at next Bh meet
Cheers rspj. I'm probably looking at mid-June till KDS can it book it in, so won't be sorted for the next meet - won't stop me from coming though!
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:39 pm

Are they talking about EXO V2 or a newer version?

boba fett
2nd Gear

Post by boba fett » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:53 pm

I have just browsed through your thread, and I have very much done the same with 911's and a lot of other cars over the years to a degree.

OE wheels look the best, period - the multi spokes look like they came off a cheap S-Line Diesel, and the aftermarkets.....well..... look aftermarket.

With an RS4, the exterior Look, stance, presence, poise and noise, is everything, the seats are just the icing on the cake which makes it perfect !!

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:40 pm

MikeFish wrote:Are they talking about EXO V2 or a newer version?
From the sounds of it, this is a new version that may replace the currently available stuff. I'll get more info before it goes anywhere near the car.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

FaisalJ
Cruising

Faisal's RS4

Post by FaisalJ » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:56 am

KDS giving it a once over today.

In better news, just got these pics of my "diesel s-line" 20"x10" speedlines from my wheel guy. Can't wait to get these on the car! :thumbs:
IMG_4155.JPG
IMG_4156.JPG
IMG_4154.JPG
Already swapped the wing mirrors over for titanium ones (my original silver ones for sale in the classifieds).
Last edited by FaisalJ on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 RS4 B7 Avant

rspj
4th Gear

Post by rspj » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:38 pm

Looks like a lot of work but looking good
rs4 b8 Suzuka, grey 14

Return to “Readers' Rides”