Rear shock gone, options.?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
irishmike
3rd Gear

Re: Rear shock gone, options.?

Post by irishmike » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Cheers, the garage have said that it's just the shock that's let go, no mention of any pipes needing replacing.
From talking to Unit 20 and a few other's I'd say I'll try to stick with the DRC as the roads over here are not the best, and I'm bringing my 4 yr old daughter around quite a bit so don't want an overly harsh setup.

I've the garage to double check the whole setup and price up the shock and flexi pipe.

I'd be hopeful that the corrosion wouldn't be as much of an issue as the roads here aren't treated with the same stuff as the UK, leading to less corrosion.
(Seen it first hand on other cars I've had)

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:13 pm

One further question!!

Would the RS4 suspension be considered a hydrolastic system?
From the description it sort of sounds like it, but the fact it has shocks and springs prob means that it's not.

Reason for the question is that my warranty covers hydrolastic components..

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:42 pm

irishmike wrote:Would the RS4 suspension be considered a hydrolastic system?
IMHO no.

In a hydrolastic system (I'm old enough to have owned a few BL/ARG hydrolastic vehicles) the damping is provided by the fluid so if you lose the fluid then the car sinks right down, but with DRC the damping is provided by the dampers and the primary purpose of the fluid is to provide additional anti-roll and anti-dive characteristics - to allow softer damping for a better straight line ride but to stiffen up when cornering and under acceleration/deceleration to provide better handling.

That's the USP of DRC - decent ride plus good handling.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:57 pm

irishmike wrote:Cheers, the garage have said that it's just the shock that's let go, no mention of any pipes needing replacing.
From talking to Unit 20 and a few other's I'd say I'll try to stick with the DRC as the roads over here are not the best, and I'm bringing my 4 yr old daughter around quite a bit so don't want an overly harsh setup.

I've the garage to double check the whole setup and price up the shock and flexi pipe.

I'd be hopeful that the corrosion wouldn't be as much of an issue as the roads here aren't treated with the same stuff as the UK, leading to less corrosion.
(Seen it first hand on other cars I've had)
Good move right decision
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Cheers Dave, that was my thought, just a shot in the dark really.

Getting Audi down to a more reasonable price now.

No issues with any other shocks, and pipework looks fine.

Just wondering if I take a hit now and replace two while I'm at it.

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:07 pm

irishmike wrote:Just wondering if I take a hit now and replace two while I'm at it.
That's what I would do.

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:58 pm

And same axle or Diagonal?
Both garages are giving me different advice. Usual would be the same axle to avoid an imbalance. But Diagonal might make sense as they linked and pressurising the system may pop the older one..

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:55 pm

Both are right, but if only changing two I would do them diagonally as they are part of the same circuit.

Personally I would change all four at the same time as it is probably only a matter of time before the other system fails and mixing old and new dampers on the same axle just seems wrong.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Fri May 01, 2015 5:52 pm

coffey555 wrote:Both are right, but if only changing two I would do them diagonally as they are part of the same circuit.

Personally I would change all four at the same time as it is probably only a matter of time before the other system fails and mixing old and new dampers on the same axle just seems wrong.
Agree with both of those comments.

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sat May 02, 2015 8:13 pm

KW V3 Corner weighted and lowered
:jump_clap:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Sun May 03, 2015 8:34 am

Covkiller wrote:KW V3 Corner weighted and lowered
:jump_clap:
For hard road use or on a track, then yes. I am running the same suspension components as you and I would only consider keeping it that way if my children turned out to be ginger.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

22B
4th Gear

Post by 22B » Sun May 03, 2015 12:59 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
coffey555 wrote:Both are right, but if only changing two I would do them diagonally as they are part of the same circuit.

Agree with both of those comments.
Yip, me too. I replaced the whole lot last year; all 4 corners plus the pipes. Biggest cost was labour on the pipe fitting because half the car has to get hauled apart to gain access. Turns out it was as well I did because the pipes were well shot and it would only have been a matter of time before they failed. However, Perth Audi very generously gave me a very generous 'goodwill' discount (of 50% i think). The whole lot cost about £2350 but it really is like a new car again. I wanted to keep the car as original as possible and I believe that the DRC system is still the best all round anyway. Kw's or whatever just not for me but I can see the attraction for some.

IainRS
Current;
Porsche 997.1 GT3RS. Pure Orange, ceramics, etc, Sharkwerks exhaust
BMW 2002 restomod; Turbo body kit, S14 M3 Evo engine and lots more
Audi Q3 Black edition Quattro

Previously enjoyed;
Ibis White B7 RS4 Avant : TTS Supercharged 615ps/614 nm
Subaru Impreza 22B
Noble M400
TVR 400SE
Lotus Sunbeam Avon

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Sun May 03, 2015 8:02 pm

I'm hopeful that the pipework is still ok.
Had the garage to do a full check and they reckoned it was grand.
Few pics of the damage..

Busted Shock:

Flexi Pipe

Pipework

Covkiller
Top Gear

Post by Covkiller » Sun May 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Yes DRC is a great system but when its rusty, old leaking and knackered as mine were KW's are ultimately adjustable, stainless steel, serviceable and cheaper. But I can only respect the enthusiasts who want to keep OEM spec.
:thumbs:
RS4 B7, Mugello Blue, K&W V3 & HR ARBs, set up by Centre Gravity, Milltek Valved Non Res & cat bypass pipes, BMC air filter, braided hoses, DOT 5.1, Terraclean, MRC Full Carbon Clean, MRC remap 448PS 477NM, 20" S7 alloys with 4mm spacers & Hawke spigots 66.6 > 57.1, AP Racing front discs. Sold Sept 2019. Now rocking an F80 M3

irishmike
3rd Gear

Post by irishmike » Mon May 04, 2015 9:06 pm

Yeah, I'd agree in fairness.
The rest of my system is in pretty decent shape according to the garage, if it was in bad order the KW's would be a good option.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”