devastated !!!!

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
R1RS4
5th Gear

Re: devastated !!!!

Post by R1RS4 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:39 am

Surrey Sam wrote:Gutting...could probably be machine polished out but having read this link below recently, it does seem to turn the old myth on its head?

http://www.autoglym.com/news_articles/n ... mage-paint
Good article that Sam, also explains why the hair dryer would also help/work too
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

jamiedal
1st Gear

Post by jamiedal » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks for all your input :-)

Getting it machine polished out Saturday morning

jamiedal
1st Gear

Post by jamiedal » Tue May 26, 2015 9:15 am

Little update for everyone

I tried the hairdryer on it, as the day before it was booked in to get polished out the aux rads went....anyway it worked unbelievably well and the etching mark went away in about 30 seconds I couldn't believe it

And Just to back up that heat fixes it better than polishing I had another small one on the bonnet a couple of days ago....then after 2 hot sunny days and a few drives out its non - existent

Happy days

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Tue May 26, 2015 10:19 am

jamiedal wrote:Little update for everyone

I tried the hairdryer on it, as the day before it was booked in to get polished out the aux rads went....anyway it worked unbelievably well and the etching mark went away in about 30 seconds I couldn't believe it

And Just to back up that heat fixes it better than polishing I had another small one on the bonnet a couple of days ago....then after 2 hot sunny days and a few drives out its non - existent

Happy days
That's an awesome tip! Will definitely give the hairdryer method a go next time.

If nothing else, will help my cement my status as local car obsessive weirdo. "Look Margaret, he's drying his car with a hairdryer now!"
2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

jamiedal
1st Gear

Post by jamiedal » Tue May 26, 2015 12:38 pm

Haha your not wrong...The mother-in-law just shook her head when she walked out the house and seen my intimately drying one small part of the car

FaisalJ
Cruising

Post by FaisalJ » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Holy thread revival!!

I've brought this thread back from the dead for 2 reasons; to say thanks for the hairdryer tip, and to point out it works!!

The Mrs Golf had 2 bird poos on the car that had sat there for a couple of days. After washing the car, there were obvious marks left behind. I clayed the area and then took these pics:

You can see they look pretty bad.

Now, if the surface was truly etched, the only way to remove these marks would be with a polish. However, I recall reading this thread, so wanted to test if all that was needed was a hairdryer.

It's not a very powerful hairdryer, but I started a couple of inches away and after a few minutes not much had happened, so I took it in till the hairdryer was basically sitting on a cushion of air practically next to the surface.

Well, it didn't take long to see a significant improvement:

After a couple more minutes, it had practically gone - I could barely believe it actually worked! Although a mark is still there if you look very very closely it is barely noticeable. What a result!

This seems to give credibility to the idea that the bird poo doesn't etch the surface at all - so no need to start removing lacquer with a polish. Give the hairdryer a go!

Finished off the job with a top up coat of jetseal, and the car's looking good again!

2007 RS4 B7 Avant
Phantom Black | Black Optics | MRC Stage 2 | JC Weldfab Exhaust | KW V3 coilovers | H&R ARBs | 20" Ispiri ISR-8 | Titanium wing mirrors | Driving Passion Diffuser | CF Air Intake | Manifold deflap | Alcantara/leather retrim | TT RS Steering Wheel | Pioneer Apple Carplay HU, JL amp and sub, Focal components | Clear Headlight Lenses, Black Internals, 6000K Bulbs | Trups LEDs | LED Tail lights |

Dolphie
1st Gear

Post by Dolphie » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:42 pm

Faisal,

The original advice I received was to use a heat gun. I bottled that! I had to hold the hairdrier close like you did but it works a treat. At this time of year I need to use it every now and then.

It did get me thinking that a heat gun might work at removing swirl marks and minor scratches. If anyone is brave enough to try please let me know how you get on :D

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”