Big DRC Leak Options?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Big DRC Leak Options?

Post by Grandadg90 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:43 pm

Afternoon all,

Woke up this morning to find that my car had a puddle of oil besides the front offside wheel. DRC fluid, quite a bad leak. Im looking to possibly ditch the current system.

I dont want to make the ride anymore firmer, but still want it to be planted. Can I change the shocks and keep the springs, can that be done? I like the current ride height.

Will the Bilstein B8's be suffice. Or will I have to source some springs aswell. If so which one should I opt for.

Also is shutting the DRC down a quite straight forward job?

Thanks in advance.
Ray
Daytona Grey, Bilstein Coilovers, Pre-cat delete, Centre resonator delete, IM flaps/vains delete, Interior/Exterior LED kit, CAI, Black Optics.
Other car: Bread Van

Noyjatat
Top Gear

Re: Big DRC Leak Options?

Post by Noyjatat » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:13 pm

After this weekend at Box Hill. Accuair buddy :)

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Seems like the leak is coming from the pipe leading to the base of the front shock. Seems like there is a slit in the flexi pipe. Here are some pics.

Could i get the pipe replace and have the system recharged or do I need a new shock plus recharge. Thinking that DRC suits the car really well. Changing possibly the car would not be the same.
Daytona Grey, Bilstein Coilovers, Pre-cat delete, Centre resonator delete, IM flaps/vains delete, Interior/Exterior LED kit, CAI, Black Optics.

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:29 am

if it is definately the hose well yes get a new one and keep the DRC .from the photo it looks like the steel part which attaches to the pipe is bent ? is that where the split has occurred due to rust? , if so it might be difficult to get it out of there without some skills , don't drive it tho unless its a very short distance as it can damage the system due to the loss of presssure ,especially the accumulator valves which are around 900 each
If its the metal part of the connection thats failed due to rust , a new Steel pie will be required which is around 100 notes but not very easy to do , so would need to go to an independant who has the kit to recharge it or a dealer will have to do it
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Thanks RWlisonRS4, thanks for the feedback. My fear is the valve may have gone, will try my local indie(15 miles away) to see what they can do. Thanks again.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:55 pm

It looks like the shock has held - the pipe looks like it's let go.

If the central valve is in good condition, then I'd stay with DRC - nothing can beat a well sorted DRC IMO. Indie; unless in the know may do more harm than good. You need Audi or an indie with the correct tool, and in my experience a good Tech who knows DRC and the de-pressuristion and charging ritual of the system correctly - that's the key...

Good luck.
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info, ive spoken to Unit 20 today and discussed all options. Next available booking date is 7th May. Quite a long wait.

Wonder if anyone would have a central valve lying around incase mine is caput.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Grandadg90 wrote:Hi Neil,

Thanks for the info, ive spoken to Unit 20 today and discussed all options. Next available booking date is 7th May. Quite a long wait.

Wonder if anyone would have a central valve lying around incase mine is caput.
Pleasure! :thumb:

yes, UNIT20 will sort it out - they'll certainly have the tools and know DRC for sure.

7 May - there's a wait for a reason, I guess :thumbs:
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

Grandadg90
3rd Gear

Post by Grandadg90 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Initially thought to keep the RS4 standard as its only done 32k miles, but have ordered some coilovers. Coming from Germany. So change of plan, modified it will be.

cherub72
2nd Gear

Post by cherub72 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:15 pm

Mine did something similar a few weeks ago. Pipe was £110 ish and the real kicker was the cost of recharging the DRC, cost as much as the pipe
RS4 Cabriolet - Phantom Black with Exclusive interior

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:29 am

cherub72 wrote:Mine did something similar a few weeks ago. Pipe was £110 ish and the real kicker was the cost of recharging the DRC, cost as much as the pipe

But you still have DRC :thumbs:
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”