Stealers!

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Ianth
Neutral

Stealers!

Post by Ianth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:33 pm

Rather than block up the thread about brake judder I thought I would just start another that's specific to me.
My cab is currently at Audi bolton getting diagnosed for brake judder,anyhow the tech rang me earlier and advised yes there is a judder,but they have no idea what is causing it,however he knows new discs will cure it.so I ask him about the warranty and he informs me he spoke with Audi uk and they say they won't fit new ones under warranty.
So I ring Audi uk to ask them why not and they inform me they spoke to the tech and he advises they are not faulty?
There are high spots caused by the car not being driven correctly,but she can't advise me the correct way to drive.
these discs have covered just 1200 miles since slough Audi replaced them in January this year,they have actualy replaced them 3 times in two and a half years/6500 miles.
The last time they changed them they did it foc as a loyalty goodwill gesture for the previous owner (I purchased the car immediately after he had these done)
Audi uk tried saying I bedded them in wrong,I pointed out that on the invoice it states that the master tech bedded them in himself following Audi guidelines.
I asked how long the warranty is on parts,bolton Audi reckons 600 miles on wearable items,Audi uk say 2 years,yet according to a PDF I downloaded its actualy 6 month/6500 miles.
Audi bolton say that because they done foc then I haven't paid for them so there's no warranty?
Should it matter if they was foc or not,the fact remains they require changing to cure the juddering so by definition they must be faulty or am I missing something here :-)

gt2
3rd Gear

Re: Stealers!

Post by gt2 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Fighting brake judder on these cars seems like a losing battle and just something you need to accept. There has been many a thread on it and no definite way to fix it unfortunately. Mine are the same once warm and the only way to definitely fix it is to fit ceramics

Ianth
Neutral

Post by Ianth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:06 pm

Fair enough if these was old brakes but the fact they are only 3 month old and done less than 1500 mile makes me feel kind of pissed of at audis attitude.

Is ceramics the only upgrade for these? What about the later wavy discs,are they a straight swap?do they wear better or are they prone to driver error also!

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:33 pm

These Brakes like to be stamped on , I took mine out last night for a blast and did just that .

Ill be replacing mine with the below . ive now found Audi will pick at every single thing on the car . Hence my huge to do list from them totalling over £8000

http://www.awesomegti.com/tarox-front-b ... quattro-b7

Ianth
Neutral

Post by Ianth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Well a customer services manager will be calling me within 72 hours as its been escalated from staff,anyone anyone tips how to put a case forward for replacing with ones that don't vibrate. Am I being to expectant that such expensive items should last till at least out of warranty,or indeed should there be a warranty on these as they was foc.?

NJMAudiRS4
4th Gear

Post by NJMAudiRS4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:01 pm

It the tech doesn't know what is causing the judder, how does he know new discs will cure it ?

If Audi UK state that all new parts fitted by Audi come with a warranty and you have not exceeded the time frame or misused or abused the product within that time frame then my understanding is that they should honor that agreement irrelevant if it was done foc or not.

If the master tech bedded the discs in and it is stated so on an invoice then surely it was an error on his part for not bedding in correctly, then how can Audi say you are to blame. I would take legal advise on this to see if you have a strong case against them.

As for bedding in process there are some good pointers throughout this forum, but I'm of the theory drive it like you stole it and stand on the middle pedal, did that with mine a couple of times and no issues, quite regularly use the brakes hard from triple figure speeds (on track obviously) helps burn off deposits from town driving.

Good luck
Audi RS4 Avant. MRC Stage 2 Manifold, caf, Map, JCWF Manifold back Exhaust with Sports Cats, H&R spacers, 449ps & 483nm

HYFR
Cruising

Post by HYFR » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:04 pm

Tarox also warp

Ianth
Neutral

Post by Ianth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:33 pm

NJMAudiRS4 wrote:It the tech doesn't know what is causing the judder, how does he know new discs will cure it ?

If Audi UK state that all new parts fitted by Audi come with a warranty and you have not exceeded the time frame or misused or abused the product within that time frame then my understanding is that they should honor that agreement irrelevant if it was done foc or not.

If the master tech bedded the discs in and it is stated so on an invoice then surely it was an error on his part for not bedding in correctly, then how can Audi say you are to blame. I would take legal advise on this to see if you have a strong case against them.

As for bedding in process there are some good pointers throughout this forum, but I'm of the theory drive it like you stole it and stand on the middle pedal, did that with mine a couple of times and no issues, quite regularly use the brakes hard from triple figure speeds (on track obviously) helps burn off deposits from town driving.

Good luck
The tech reckons he can't say for sure that the discs are faulty,however he does say that the only way to cure the wobble is new ones...........go figure!

Your other advise is pretty much what I was after hearing,but I was beginning to think I am expecting to much.legal advise will follow after the customer services manager has got back to me if they aren't prepared to resolve the issue.

I should imagine bolton Audi will go back on there diagnosis of incorrectly run in so caused high spots now they are aware that I have it in writing that it was a master tech that "supposedly" did that.
Image[/URL]

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Does not matter the fact that they were FOC, it's the point they fitted Audi parts that have not been supplied " fit for purpose" and the fact they were fitted by Audi and bedded in by them they have not got a leg to stand on, tell them you not paying for them and give me a call when you have changed them- Done

The biggest reason for the disc issues that I have found is cars being parked up for weeks, more so if it was wet

There have been people washing car then putting them in the garage with the hand brake left on

I started paying attention to this before I changed all my discs, every time I got in the car after being parked up for days, as you go to drive of you hear that Chang noise from the brakes where they have stuck pads to disc, this in turn marks the discs then you brake which is uneven an so on until the wobble and wear becomes severe

So when I reverse on my drive now, I back till the rear tyre touches the block I have this stops the car and I do not apply the brakes, stick it in gear and switch off, my discs are 6 months old now and fingers crossed no marking to date

But over the top but so are the disc prices
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

NJMAudiRS4
4th Gear

Post by NJMAudiRS4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:02 pm

I might be a little thick here, but how can the tech say that the only way to cure the wobble is new discs if he says he can't be sure what it is that causes the wobble ??? (And they wonder why stealers get bad reports)

When the last discs were fitted did they use the same pads or did they use a new set, could it be that the pads have high spots which cause the same effect. Have they checked that the Pistons in the calipers are all seated correctly.

To jump straight to saying its new discs that'll cure it seems a little naïve on the Tech's side. Yes I am aware that they do warp and they are the main reason for the dreaded judder, but there are other parts to the braking system than just the discs.

These are questions I would be asking both Audi dealerships that the car has been to regarding the discs.
Audi RS4 Avant. MRC Stage 2 Manifold, caf, Map, JCWF Manifold back Exhaust with Sports Cats, H&R spacers, 449ps & 483nm

Ianth
Neutral

Post by Ianth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:18 pm

I do leave the handbrake off when I park it up,however that's just going to have the effect on the rear brakes,the ones causing my wobble are the front ones.
The pads was changed every time the discs have been changed.the callipers have been inspected and found to be ok.
The tech has felt the vibration,he acknowledges that there is a issue,he suspects that its high spots on the discs,when I asked what the run out on the discs are he didn't seem to understand what I meant.to be honest I have no faith in them,however for warranty purposes its all about procedures unfortunately.
I appreciate all this advise guys,thanks a lot.

Ianth
Neutral

Post by Ianth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:27 pm

The service advisor informed me that the pads was still like new with less than 10%wear

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:34 pm

The discs are not the "root" cause, as the car has had 3 sets and the same things happened again

Calipers faulty ie distribution of the brake pads pressure and evenly

Alignment of disc to hubs or calliper to discs
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:36 pm

Ianth wrote:I do leave the handbrake off when I park it up,however that's just going to have the effect on the rear brakes,the ones causing my wobble are the front ones.
The pads was changed every time the discs have been changed.the callipers have been inspected and found to be ok.
The tech has felt the vibration,he acknowledges that there is a issue,he suspects that its high spots on the discs,when I asked what the run out on the discs are he didn't seem to understand what I meant.to be honest I have no faith in them,however for warranty purposes its all about procedures unfortunately.
I appreciate all this advise guys,thanks a lot.
Applying brakes before parking up foot pressure and hand brake, but if the discs show none of the making issues and still look new then that rules that out
RS4 B7 Avant,2007

Ianth
Neutral

Post by Ianth » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:40 pm

R1RS4 wrote:The discs are not the "root" cause, as the car has had 3 sets and the same things happened again

Calipers faulty ie distribution of the brake pads pressure and evenly

Alignment of disc to hubs or calliper to discs

Yes,I would agree entirely with that,do you fancy a job at Audi,they could do with someone with some common sense.
The problem is how can this fact be portrayed to them when they take the attitude they do?
To most of us there must be a underlying cause,to them its just another job,replace the bits again and fingers crossed they are ok kind of thing.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”