Harris. wrote:£78 for all 4 ??
No just the 2 front uppers n/s & o/s
Isn't there 2 each side for the front?
Yes upper fronts and upper rears front axel

geordie jay
5th Gear

Re: Top arms

Post by geordie jay » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:45 pm

I was reversing onto drive the other day.turned steering wheel full lock while backing onto drive and I heard a noise that could only be described as someone that had knocked once on bottom of car with a toffee hammer?same again happened day after and just once again.took it to my mate whos a mechanic for a quick look and he couldn't feel any play in bushes but after reading this post I think it could be the start of it.what you think fellas

andyg72
4th Gear

Post by andyg72 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:14 pm

geordie jay wrote:I was reversing onto drive the other day.turned steering wheel full lock while backing onto drive and I heard a noise that could only be described as someone that had knocked once on bottom of car with a toffee hammer?same again happened day after and just once again.took it to my mate whos a mechanic for a quick look and he couldn't feel any play in bushes but after reading this post I think it could be the start of it.what you think fellas
Jay soon as I heard mine I had it in the ramp and when the mechanic moved the wheel back and forth you could see the play

I only hear mine knock going over speed bumps and when wobbling steering wheel left to right

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:18 pm

And changing 2 is no good . all 4 should be changed at the same time .

New vs old bushes otherwise and if there is movement the new ones wont last long as they will be under strain

andyg72
4th Gear

Post by andyg72 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Harris. wrote:And changing 2 is no good . all 4 should be changed at the same time .

New vs old bushes otherwise and if there is movement the new ones wont last long as they will be under strain
Lol really ? Well not one mechanic has said that Audi or a specilest ?
I have one failed but will replace both as a pair .

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:54 pm

I replaced all 4 before there was any play as I had the suspension coming out anyway, seemed to make sense rather than have to pay to do it later. Even more importantly for me it would mean the hassle of getting the car to a reputable garage or taking the day off etc. And at £78 for parts it's a no brainer.

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 am

andyg72 wrote:
Harris. wrote:And changing 2 is no good . all 4 should be changed at the same time .

Yeah really , the old bushes that remain are nearly 8-9 years old, its not just about them splitting . But its your car . As mike has said why bother changing just 2 ?

geordie jay
5th Gear

Post by geordie jay » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:19 pm

andyg72 wrote:
geordie jay wrote:I was reversing onto drive the other day.turned steering wheel full lock while backing onto drive and I heard a noise that could only be described as someone that had knocked once on bottom of car with a toffee hammer?same again happened day after and just once again.took it to my mate whos a mechanic for a quick look and he couldn't feel any play in bushes but after reading this post I think it could be the start of it.what you think fellas
Jay soon as I heard mine I had it in the ramp and when the mechanic moved the wheel back and forth you could see the play

I only hear mine knock going over speed bumps and when wobbling steering wheel left to right
that's the problem..theres no play in wheels when rocking them and I have no issues driving or going over speed humps?just when I reverse on full lock? :thumbsdown:

andyg72
4th Gear

Post by andyg72 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:54 pm

Harris. wrote:
andyg72 wrote:

Yeah really , the old bushes that remain are nearly 8-9 years old, its not just about them splitting . But its your car . As mike has said why bother changing just 2 ?
To be honest I did ask the sales guy about replacing all 4 and was talked out of it ... Should have just stuck to my original thoughts

Cheers

andyg72
4th Gear

Post by andyg72 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:55 pm

geordie jay wrote:
andyg72 wrote:

that's the problem..theres no play in wheels when rocking them and I have no issues driving or going over speed humps?just when I reverse on full lock? :thumbsdown:

Drc ? :thumbsdown:

RIV
Cruising

Post by RIV » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:09 pm

This could also be steering rack bolts making the noise when wobbling the steering left to right, it's a common enough problem.

geordie jay
5th Gear

Post by geordie jay » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:18 pm

Drc ? :thumbsdown:[/quote][/quote]

DRC all sorted :biggrin3: so I know it aint that

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”