Looking to purchase an RS4

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Mike W
Neutral

Looking to purchase an RS4

Post by Mike W » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:45 am

Hi guys, firstly great forum, I've found some great info already.

I'm looking at potentially purchasing an RS4 in the coming months and have a few questions as I do my research.

My budget will probably be around £20k will this get me a decent car? I've seen some advertised around this price with around 60k miles on them. Are they reliable at this mileage? At what mileage do things begin to go wrong or are they quite a reliable vehicle? I suppose I'm asking should I avoid cars with 70/80k+ etc on them?

Is there anything I should look out for? I've read the buyers guide and seen there is a few things to watch for but is there anything major that goes wrong on these and is costly. What is depreciation like on these cars, I know that's a tricky question but I'm a Ford RS man which generally hold value extremely well, I'm new to Audi's haha.

What is servicing etc like on these? Obviously they're a high performance car so I expect higher but are they as high as i imagine and what kind of intervals? The car will probably do 3k miles per year if that.

I viewed an RS4 last week which had normal recaros and not the big buckets, were these seats an option or is it a case of early or late cars having different etc? Also is there anywhere I can find out what was a standard feature and what was an option?

Sorry for all the questions, no doubt I'll have more too haha

Any help would be great

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Re: Looking to purchase an RS4

Post by CharlieD » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:04 am

RS4 Brochure to give you info regarding what's Optional and what isn't: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g72ticcv04301 ... 8.pdf?dl=0
Only inaccuracy I spotted in there was that it said the wheels are 18" 8.5's, though I'm pretty sure they come with 19x9's as standard :nodder:

To give you an idea on value, in September last year paid just over £22k for mine from a private seller, which had just under 30k miles on the clock, and it seemed like a great deal to me. Seemed like the owners before him had proper OCD and took the car in for servicing every 3k-5k miles or so!
Included the usual optional extras: Recaro bucket seats, RNS-E satnav, heated front+rear seats, front armrest, bluetooth, electric glass sunroof, multi-function steering wheel (not flat bottom sadly), 6 cd changer, auto lights, auto wipers, anti-theft Tracker, and an aftermarket boot liner. Had a recent service and 6 months of MOT left.

After putting down the deposit, I paid for a full AA inspection done (cost me £306) which included a road test, seller was very confident and agreed to give the deposit back if anything unexpected came up. The AA chap knew what he was talking about and knew what the common issues were with this model, in particular checking to see if the shocks were leaking after the road test, and warning me about the carbon build up problem etc. The report (like 16 pages long and checks for everything you can think of including evidence of bodywork repair etc) you get afterwards give you ammunition for haggling room if needed. I was relieved that he didn't come up with anything apart from very minor corrosion in the exhaust, and the brake pads + tyres were nearing end of life, which I already knew about.

After that I promptly paid up the rest of the money and took the car off him before he changed his mind :boots:

I ended up spending about £650 on a full new set of tyres (Michelin Pilot Super Sports) new YellowStuff pads for the front (£200), and got the discs skimmed due to being quite groovy (£250).

So call it £23k for a 100% mint B7 RS4 with pretty much all the goodies and all the consumables in perfect condition. :jump_clap:

I have a look occasionally and can't find another similar example what such low mileage for anywhere near to what I paid, looks like they've all been snapped up and in theory seems like their value has increased. :kissmyrings:
RS4 B7 Phantom Black Saloon
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

mustdash
3rd Gear

Post by mustdash » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:41 am

Like you, I've come from 'hot hatch' territory (Renaultsport Meganes) in to the RS4. I spent months looking before finding mine. Mine is a 2007 saloon with FBSW, non-bucket seats (wasn't too bothered about buckets as a) didn't want them stolen and b) I found on test drives of cars with them they hurt my back), heated front and rear seats, 6 CD changer. The only irritation I've got with it is the original (and only previous) owner didn't spec bluetooth on it, but that is a minor thing. When I got it, it had 62k on the clock and a stack of receipts etc and cost me £21k from a dealer.

I've had mine 9 months and have so far put it through a service, had an aux rad replaced, new disks and pads and 4 new tyres - the only things that were needed out of that were the aux rad and the tyres - I had everything else done because I wanted to make sure I knew where I was with things. Next on the list is a new clutch and then a decoke (clutch becoming needed as the car is now on 72k and the decoke because I want it done).

Common faults - DRC suspension is a known issue (mine had coilovers already on it so that's one less thing for me to worry about), aux rads can corrode due to their location, exhaust flexi is known to get a bit of abuse (again due to the locn / ride height of the car), cars can get coked up / have vacuum issues (fairly easily sorted I think), the oil cooler pipes can corrode as they're steel (I may be mistaken on this - someone more knowledgeable may say otherwise)

As for costs - I've found that I only go to Audi if I have a very large tube of lube ready, because they don't half like to try and shaft you! That being said - if you go in to RS4 ownership with your eyes open, and aware that while amazing cars (they truly are), they are approaching 10 years old so bills are likely, then you won't be in for a nasty shock. The brake replacement, aux rad and service on mine cost me £1300 in parts for the brakes (disks from Stoke Audi at £600 for fronts, £600 for rears and the pads from GSF), then the service (parts supplied and fitted by the garage), aux rad (supplied and fitted by the garage) cost a total of £1200. This is a big bill - however, I knew it was going to come so had budgeted for it and (touch wood) most of that won't need doing again for a while! I noticed from my search that most RS4's up for sale are getting to the point of needing new disks (in fact every one I went to look at needed them doing with the exception of a ridiculously over priced silver saloon from Audi Leicester). If the disks have a large lip on try using it as a bit of a haggling point.

Be aware that although these cars cost circa £50k when new, there are some right dogs out there - thus surprised me as I mistakenly thought that if someone was spending that on a car they'd look after it! Also be aware (and coming from a Focus RS you should be used to this sort of thing more than I was in the Megane) that these cars are still highly desirable / nickable to scum due to what a great all round package they are.

All in all - get one, get one NOW because prices seem to be going up slowly (but make sure it's a good 'un)!

Good luck in your search

*Edited to add; engines and gear boxes are pretty much bomb proof so I'm told. There are other threads on here with people asking about buying examples with 100k on the clock - the general consensus seems to be if it has been looked after the mileage isn't an issue.
CURRENT: Montecarlo Blue Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifolglio, 2.9ltr bi-turbo, 510bhp
PREVIOUS: Volvo V60 Polestar, build number 149/700 worldwide - 3ltr straight 6 turbo. 350bhp remapped to 400bhp. Only one of 120 in the UK
PREVIOUS: Misano red B7 saloon, stage 2 map to 425bhp, manifold flap delete, KW V3 coilovers.

steview
2nd Gear

Post by steview » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:00 am

I'd agree that prices have increased slightly since I bought mine in September so I'd say there's no depreciation at the minute. Good examples are getting harder to find now so prices make them a good buy.
I wouldn't be put off by mileage above 70k either as most of these cars (mine included) have suffered all the problems that they encounter and have since been rectified so be wary that things that are common problems are costly to fix if not previously done. Mine now has 101k miles on it and is still as reliable as ever and when it was in for a service at my Audi dealer their tech had to test drive it and commented that it drove better than a lot of lower mileage cars he'd driven.
I'd look closely at front wings on any you view as these suffer from corrosion around the arch and where the wing meets the sill. Mine had this but luckily I had 2 wings fitted by Audi under a goodwill gesture because my car has full Audi service history.
This forum will be a big help on what to look for and my advice is view as many as possible and don't limit yourself by mileage, colour or spec then this will give you a better idea on what spec etc to go for.
Mine is for sale if you want to view it and get an idea on what you want.

Silverfox42
4th Gear

Post by Silverfox42 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:10 am

All good comments so far.
I am at the other end of the buy/sell spectrum in that I have owned my RS4 since October 2010 and the car only has around 56k on the clock currently.
So far at every service and MOT I have asked for close examination of the obvious potential faults - DRC, Aux Rads and Oil cooler, but to date none of these have shown up as an issue.
I am in discussion with a local dealer who has offered £20.5k to me with a plan to retail if for £22,495.00, so am considering this. My issues is I don't know what to replace it with but these cars need to be used and frankly a handful of miles each week which I am now doing won't do it any good!

Car is March 06 Registered (cheaper tax), Black with black interior, bucket seats, Sunroof, FASH, wheels were refurbed and recoloured to a dark grey, otherwise standard with RNSE, 6-CD, Bose, tilt and swivel lights...

So, I guess there is a range there, for a lower mileage, slightly older car £20.5k private upto £22.5k dealer!

Good luck.....
2017 RS6 Performance
Previous:
2006 RS4 B7 Cab, 2014 RS4 - Suzuka + a ton of toys, 2011 RS5, spec'd up + ABT exhaust, 2006 B7 RS4 'loon - 5 years of fun! 2006 Aston V8 Vantage, 2006 S4 Cab, 2005 S4 Avant, 2000 TT 225 Cab, 2001 2.5 A4 TDI Quattro, 2000 A4 1.8T Sport, 1996 2.6 80 Cab, 1997 A4 1.8 T Sport

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:32 am

Not to derail the thread too much, but what is the deal with the cheaper tax? Mine was registered 23rd March 06 and I'm paying £500/year road tax. :thumbsdown:

If I call up DVLA are they likely to fix it? :)
RS4 B7 Phantom Black Saloon
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

John Johnson
5th Gear

Post by John Johnson » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:55 am

The very early saloons fell into the cheaper tax rules , after then it's full fat tax which is the avants ( small price to pay for a better car :bigwave: ) and loons
Current toys in the garage
B7 avant in Daytona with ceramics and a few other goodies and lowwwww miles :-)
Ur quattro. lago Blue
Ur quattro. Mars red

Rs1600i
Transit custom sportvan

http://youtu.be/FWBUl7oT9sA

Silverfox42
4th Gear

Post by Silverfox42 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:43 am

Nice touch John. Avant tax!!

Cut off was something like 15th March 2006 for the lower bracket - seemingly random. My car snuck in about a week before that!
Last edited by Silverfox42 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 RS6 Performance
Previous:
2006 RS4 B7 Cab, 2014 RS4 - Suzuka + a ton of toys, 2011 RS5, spec'd up + ABT exhaust, 2006 B7 RS4 'loon - 5 years of fun! 2006 Aston V8 Vantage, 2006 S4 Cab, 2005 S4 Avant, 2000 TT 225 Cab, 2001 2.5 A4 TDI Quattro, 2000 A4 1.8T Sport, 1996 2.6 80 Cab, 1997 A4 1.8 T Sport

stu
5th Gear

Post by stu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:06 pm

Great thread. I didn't know the AA would do that for you.

Probably goes without saying, but there's a buyers guide in the FAQs. No harm in reading multiple sources so you're well equipped to make the purchase viewtopic.php?f=35&t=93074#p470029

Mike W
Neutral

Post by Mike W » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:47 pm

Wow fantastics replies guys, thanks a lot.

Regarding replacing brakes, I'm sure I read you can only buy the disks from Audi is this correct? Also with servicing i expect (and based on a thread I've just read below this one) that Audi main dealer prices are a bit ridiculous. Does the Audi stamp really mean much in the book or would you be fine taking it to an independent garage? I've currently got a Mk1 Focus RS and I travel the distance to Demon Performance Centre for servicing as what Pete doesn't know about the Mk1 isn't worth knowing and quite frankly I wouldn't let ford touch my car, they're clueless with the RS haha. Pete used to be head tech at Awesome GTi so obviously he knows his way around performance Audi's, would I be better saving the cash for the sake of an Audi stamp or does it affect resale value?

I like to keep my cars highly maintained so I'm just trying to gain an idea of what kinda costs I'd be expecting, as I said I won't be doing many miles per year so tyres, brakes etc should last a while.

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Mike W wrote:Wow fantastics replies guys, thanks a lot.

Regarding replacing brakes, I'm sure I read you can only buy the disks from Audi is this correct? Also with servicing i expect (and based on a thread I've just read below this one) that Audi main dealer prices are a bit ridiculous. Does the Audi stamp really mean much in the book or would you be fine taking it to an independent garage? I've currently got a Mk1 Focus RS and I travel the distance to Demon Performance Centre for servicing as what Pete doesn't know about the Mk1 isn't worth knowing and quite frankly I wouldn't let ford touch my car, they're clueless with the RS haha. Pete used to be head tech at Awesome GTi so obviously he knows his way around performance Audi's, would I be better saving the cash for the sake of an Audi stamp or does it affect resale value?

I like to keep my cars highly maintained so I'm just trying to gain an idea of what kinda costs I'd be expecting, as I said I won't be doing many miles per year so tyres, brakes etc should last a while.
the 'Pete at Demon' equivalent for the RS is Doug at MRC :) without a doubt the most highly recommended place to take your car
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Just to throw a spanner in the works, you can find cars at the other end of the market. Don't discount high mileage or even Cat D cars just because of the stigma of them. I have a cracking car that may not be as clean as some and it's done some miles now, but I paid a lot less for it. With the servicing I've done included, I'm still probably £4-5k "better off". :)

Just be sure if you're not confident with the car, get someone who is to inspect it. Either the AA kind of thing as above, or a knowledgeable forum member friend etc.

Good luck!
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi , in September 2014 I sold my 3 door cosworth and went and got my RS4 on the same day, I don't regret it one bit. 2 very different cars but the Audi ticks my box's so far .

My RS4 is a early 06 plate so cheaper tax 105k on the clock
Black optics pack , Black window surrounds, black grill and black exhaust
Parking sensors all round
Dimming rear view mirror
Heated front and rear seats
Centre arm rest with phone
Day time running lights, coming home lights
Comfort seats and not the buckets (This works for me as people like to Nick the buckets)
Interior light pack , door handles etc light up

I got it for £13800 with full Audi service history 1 years mot and 3 months warranty, both keys . YES £13800 . Its not a CAT D either !! Hpi clear

It drives like a 40k car with no faults atall .

As for costs ,I don't think it costs anymore to run than my cossie which was 351bhp . If looked after there both dear to own if put up against a Nissan micra lol

Looking at my history my car has been serviced 11 times in 8 years . £380 per service on average

Ive just done the front pads which cost £111 and £30 to fit so them alone are cheaper than the ones I had on the cossie

Good luck

Mike W
Neutral

Post by Mike W » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:18 pm

Harris. wrote:Hi , in September 2014 I sold my 3 door cosworth and went and got my RS4 on the same day, I don't regret it one bit. 2 very different cars but the Audi ticks my box's so far .

My RS4 is a early 06 plate so cheaper tax 105k on the clock
Black optics pack , Black window surrounds, black grill and black exhaust
Parking sensors all round
Dimming rear view mirror
Heated front and rear seats
Centre arm rest with phone
Day time running lights, coming home lights
Comfort seats and not the buckets (This works for me as people like to Nick the buckets)
Interior light pack , door handles etc light up

I got it for £13800 with full Audi service history 1 years mot and 3 months warranty, both keys . YES £13800 . Its not a CAT D either !! Hpi clear

It drives like a 40k car with no faults atall .

As for costs ,I don't think it costs anymore to run than my cossie which was 351bhp . If looked after there both dear to own if put up against a Nissan micra lol

Looking at my history my car has been serviced 11 times in 8 years . £380 per service on average

Ive just done the front pads which cost £111 and £30 to fit so them alone are cheaper than the ones I had on the cossie

Good luck
I think I recognise your username from some of the Ford forums actually haha. You did extremely well getting one for that price then, how did you manage that? I cant see any available for that money at the minute. Yeh the pads I'm running in my RS cost more than that.

Toyneg, where are MRC based?

Harris.
4th Gear

Post by Harris. » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:25 pm

I found it in a dealers in Cambridge , went to test drive and handed over the deposit . it was up for £14800 :bigblink:

The miles don't worry me at all ,its now showing 106k but I don't use it everyday so all the low mileage ones for 20k plus will soon been on a par with mine.

Saying that 106k over 9 years is only 11700 per year which isn't much any way .

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”