Supercharging?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
chris_m
4th Gear

Supercharging?

Post by chris_m » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:46 am

Apologies in advance for the long winded post but I think about the title every time I drive mine.

Ok, first things first. I love pretty much everything about the b7. The practicality, sound, the look, and will not elaborate further upon what you already know. The only things I am not so keen on is the age of it now, slightly dated dash etc and the fact that you can't squeeze much more power out of them without forced induction. Not a great list i know. Oh, and the fact you can loose so much power through carbon build up which I think mine has done.

Now for a few questions, probably better here from those with experience but realistically all in, are we looking at 15-17k?

Are these cars getting a little long in the tooth for it (mine is a 2006 on 65k)?

What are realistic output figures for a sensible setup?

Does the car feel a huge amount better (may be a silly question but was it worth the hassle)?

Does it help rectify carbon build up?

Are they just about as reliable or would track day use put excessive strain on the engine and transmission?

Do they become a nightmare to maintain?

What is the life expectancy of a supercharger?

Looking back, would you do it again if you could go back?

How will it effect resale value? (my car is no investment, I do understand that but still...)

I am really considering this in future but I just can not decide. I keep thinking that I may be better off just going in for something like a 997 turbo. 2 completely different cars though and don't think I want something so different to the rs4. I don't want to compromise on the handling any more ruling out bigger cars like the rs6. I keep telling myself I want something newer with better performance but at the same tell myself that age isnt really a problem, i like the rs4, just keep it.

Sorry for all of the questions and uncertainty but would like to but this to bed for myself really. I have tried to keep it somewhat short and could have probably asked 50 more questions. Finally then, if in the same position, what would you do? Would you mod the b7? If not, what car would you have that must out perform the rs4 for maybe 40k that isnt a gtr?

Cheers,
Chris.
2006 B7 RS4 Mrc stage 2
2000 evo VI tommi makinen red
1999 Evo V 370bhp white
1995 e36 m3 3.0 green
1988 Saff cosworth 2wd white

MartayMcFly
5th Gear

Re: Supercharging?

Post by MartayMcFly » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:23 pm

1. Cost for the kit, fitting and mapping from MRC is around £15k
2. If the car's been looked after 56k shouldn't be an issue, but speak to MRC to get an idea of mileage when they fit most kits.
3. You'll get 600PS and 600Nm (roughly, usually a little more maybe ~620PS)
4. Yes. Just absolutely yes.
5. Not a clue, I can't see how it would worsen it but I also don't think it does much to prevent build up.
6. Normal use should be as reliable, but obviously extra torque and heat in the engine, bay and transmissions could over time cause issues. I've been told they'll last just fine on a track day.
7. Define nightmare. There's an oil reservoir to keep and eye on, and £11k of parts to 'maintain' but nothing other than usual 'wait until its warm' and normal servicing really.
8. Don't know, check with the kit maker/manufacturer.
9. Yes. It's been a pain for me, as I frayed a belt then the tensioner seized on the second belt and bent the pulley shaft, but I'm more the exception than the rule. The kick from the charger is more than enough to convince me to do it all over again.
10. Mods are typically worth half their price, and labour is just pure loss, so say the car's worth £20k, stick on a charger and it should be £26k (TTS kit is £11,400). Depends on how many are for sale at the time, condition and options of the car etc etc.
11. Charged RS4 beats a 911 Turbo every time - looks, speed, usability, image... some times more subjective than objective, but I'd not trade mine for a 997 Turbo.
2001 8L S3 - sold
2008 8P2 S3 - sold
2007 B7 RS4 - sold
2006 B7 RS4 (supercharged) - sold
2016 C7 RS6 - sold
2015 8V RS3 Stage 3 - sold
2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

chris_m
4th Gear

Post by chris_m » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:46 pm

Mart, I really appreciate your reply, thanks for that. I have to admit, I was grinning most of the way through it. A convincing reply for me I guess. I don't know if i wanted to be talked out of it or not but I feel a little more inclined to take this route now until someone comes along and gives me reasons why not to do it :roll:
I suppose comparing the standard 911 to the charged rs4 is a bit unfair as I am sure the 911 has the potential to see 600ps and be a quicker car at that but where do you stop? It would still be a fair chunk cheaper than a 997 worth buying and better in comparrison.

Cheers!
2006 B7 RS4 Mrc stage 2
1999 Evo V 370bhp white
1995 e36 m3 3.0 green

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:05 pm

One for sale at the moment. I think he'd dropped the price inline with market evaluation. Higher mileage but one owner for most of them and the charger on for the past two years. Definitely a cheap way into a supercharged B7! viewtopic.php?f=63&t=113483

chris_m
4th Gear

Post by chris_m » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:42 pm

I read this just earlier today! Mine is a saloon and would probably rather keep a saloon. Mind, I am not really that fussed. I'd have to sell mine first which may take a little while. Having said that, I can't see there being a huge market for a charged rs4 so it may be available for some time yet.
2006 B7 RS4 Mrc stage 2
1999 Evo V 370bhp white
1995 e36 m3 3.0 green

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”