Help! Incorrect Headlight (w\Pics and adaptive lights video)

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
flylife2k
1st Gear

Help! Incorrect Headlight (w\Pics and adaptive lights video)

Post by flylife2k » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:59 pm

Can anyone please let me know where I can get my hands on a nearside headlight - i'm certain mine are not adaptive, just self levelling xenon

Mine just decided to jump right out of my hand - internal damage as a result of a not so soft landing on the floor unfortunately

I've had a look on ebay but not having much look unfortunately. I've had a look on euro parts website and they seem to have an aftermarket one but there's that many i'm a little confused to be honest. Can anyone please be kind enough to either point out which one I need or to either link to another website where one can be had?

Thanks Chaps
Tiff
Last edited by flylife2k on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Help Please - Where can I get a nearside headlight from?

Post by MikeFish » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:01 pm

I haven't looked but thought there'd be loads on ebay and if not then try ebay.de.
Are the headlights specific to the RS4 or are they the same as any A4 with xenons? I thought the latter but I do recall a sidelight / DRL difference between the RS4 and other 4s, cna't remember if this was just a bulb fitment issue or something more?

Trups
Trader (Expired)

Post by Trups » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Same lights Mike. What's damaged on your headlights?
Phantom Black C6 RS6 - ex Classba battleship
Mugello C6 RS6 5.0 TFSi AVANT - Gone.

If you have any quieries for interior or exterior LED's then get in touch.

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:29 pm

A4/S4 xenon lights will fit if not adaptive, adaptive lights go through an alignment setup when they come on so if yours did not then you will be fine with the S4/A4 unit.

I adapted a A4 housing to take the adaptive headlight guts.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:01 am

Trups wrote:Same lights Mike. What's damaged on your headlights?

The housing (rear plastic behind the main xenon bulb made of several linear pieces joint together making a square'ish frame) is broken so the xenon piece is flapping about insecurely. The headlight misalignment (self levelling) light has come on too - I've. Plugged the unit back in si no fused bulb warning just misalignment light.

Tbh im not 100% the lights are not adaptive, is there any obvious way of determining whether they are or not?

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 am

Do I go for this...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 00&alt=web

Its the cheapest I have come across so far

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:42 am

flylife2k wrote:
Trups wrote:Same lights Mike. What's damaged on your headlights?

The housing (rear plastic behind the main xenon bulb made of several linear pieces joint together making a square'ish frame) is broken so the xenon piece is flapping about insecurely. The headlight misalignment (self levelling) light has come on too - I've. Plugged the unit back in si no fused bulb warning just misalignment light.

Tbh im not 100% the lights are not adaptive, is there any obvious way of determining whether they are or not?
The adaptive light ballast is bigger than the none adaptive lights had to modify the none adaptive light when I used the shell for a A4 light housing.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:45 am

flylife2k wrote:Do I go for this...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 00&alt=web

Its the cheapest I have come across so far
That states it an adaptive headlight, you stated you were none adaptive!

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Thank you, the link specifies height adjustment as opposed to adaptive which I assume is auto levelling? I found the below which seems to be cheaper so now ordered.. £165.99 all in :jump_clap:

Here's the link for anyone else looking w/ clear indicator type (not sure if they do amber)..

http://www.wingmirrorshop.co.uk/audi-a4 ... AnPf8P8HAQ

Thank you for the help guys! Appreciated, just hope it is the correct part :!: Will update once I have it

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Problem, received yesterday and at first glance looked identical, came to swap over all bulbs and when I got to the xenon ballast fitment underneath and the plug in clip underneath headlight was different (smaller), the one on the RS4 is bigger :shock:

i'll get a few pictures up

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Sorry didn't see the previous post but height adjustment sounds like a halogen fitting doesn't it?

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:38 pm

MikeFish wrote:Sorry didn't see the previous post but height adjustment sounds like a halogen fitting doesn't it?
No worries, I think all have height adjustment by default anyway.. halogen and xenon, and some xenon also have the adaptive feature (open to correction here)

Right here are a few pictures to explain my dilema...
Quick shot of both together

One on top of the other, for comparison (Original at bottom and incorrect replacement at top)...

Original Ballast and and Original Headlight Connector, ballast has been removed and placed upside down on top of original headlight...

Original connector...

Replacement (incorrect) connector...

This was purchased from here...
http://www.wingmirrorshop.co.uk/audi-a4 ... 17376.html
Item Number HL9923235016

Headlamp / Headlight
Audi > A4 Mk.2 (Saloon & Estate)
Year = (6/06 to 3/08)

Specification:
Xenon
Clear Indicator
D1S
Incl. Motor

Please do not take this as bad service or inferior goods as so far they have been very promp with delivery, I have contacted they for a refund
Thoughts anyone? P.s the clear indicator difference was intentional!

Tiff

docurley
5th Gear

Re: Help!! Incorrect Headlight (w\Pics) !!!!

Post by docurley » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:17 am

One is the standard A4 type (option to upgrade) there for not adaptive. I used one of these housings to replace my cracked housing. I had to dremil the opening to take the ballast and RS4 internals.

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:44 am

Some factual information...
If you look at the 4th picture down of the original receiving connector on the headlight, you can see there are three spade receiving connectors, yet the ballast seems to provide all 4 (obviously 4 are not being used then)... and yet still, the standard A4 one has a very small receiving connector with only 2 spade receiving ends...

... I have always assumed I do not have the adaptive lights, and still do. As such I would have thought the standard A4 xenon headlights would \should have fit???

flylife2k
1st Gear

Post by flylife2k » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 am

docurley wrote:One is the standard A4 type (option to upgrade) there for not adaptive. I used one of these housings to replace my cracked housing. I had to dremil the opening to take the ballast and RS4 internals.
Still considering the dremel solution, as only the auto level (dont think I have adaptive?!) has been broken so the headlight sort of flops about in the housing

Read somewhere the OEM headlights are £600+ :cry:

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”