Newbie making a introduction

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Divine
2nd Gear

Re: Newbie making a introduction

Post by Divine » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:30 pm

I pulled a 512mb sd card out of my wife's car and loaded some music onto it and works fine in the 4.

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:35 pm

birdiemachine wrote:Ownership update :

- 4 new Michelin super sport fitted

- gave up with the sd cards, whatever I do the Rns only recognises them as 380mb cards, very frustrating.

- drc - have read all the threads on here but can't figure out what's going on, one minute the backs knocking then the front right then left, when the car is warm it goes away, doing my head in : ( have it booked in Friday and have told them if it's goosed we are going to put some ohlins dampers in or else kw v3's.

- bought some milltek non res centre sections, my car currently is gutted pre cats, sports cats and res cat back, hoping it won't be too loud but a bit more vocal.

Still loving the car but if any of you learned gentlemen can advise me on any of the above i would be very grateful!
I would not ditch the DRC unless you really have to, especially if you have SS+. Check the history with Audi to see what work if any has been done on the DRC in the past, well while you talking to Audi get a print out of the cars history, will help going forward
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 pm

DRC works in diagonal method, so take mine, my nearside rear shock as done it's seal but its the front right making all the racket. I suspect it's because the fluid is being pumped out the rear.
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:14 am

Is there any issue running it with the drc knocking?

Audi can't look at it until first week of February, my independent mechanic who looked after my r32 can have a look at it on Friday but is there any point as he cant recharge drc?

Ive narrowed it down to the rear right and the front left for definite so this ties in with what has been said above about the diagonal connection.

Any advice appreciated don't want to worsen the situation driving round on it until February.

Cheers

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:51 am

Yes, you will likely damage the central control valves by driving around with it knocking and these are more expensive than the dampers.

Same thing happened to me, my indie never had the recharge tools so went with coilovers.

Could be the steering rack knocking though, the stretch bolts wear over time and need replacing.

As the engine bay heats up the rack might heat up causing the knock to quieten down.

Think my ones are due for replacing as I can feel/hear a knock and I am on KW3's.

Used to be worse when cold but it does it all the time now.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:16 am

Looks like driving it why it's knocking may not be the best thing and also I have read it's also recommended to replace both shock on that loop. I can'treplace my shock till this weekend and Ihappen to own a low millage setup iI bought some 4 years ago so it's not all bad for me. Audi cat charge my system till Thursday week as they need to get the pump in from another workshop, but I hope to get in before then if they get it sooner (cost £221 IncVAT).
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:43 am

Can't be arsed spending money and replacing it with the same parts as have already failed.

I'll get my indie to check it friday and if it's leaking well stick a set of ohlins or kW in. Been a expensive first 2 weeks of ownership 760 for tyres and 1700 for coilies.

docurley
5th Gear

Post by docurley » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:16 am

Larkspeed £1,578

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?a=i&p ... ant-3-Inox

Don't know this company but checkout the price £1,396.50 Saloon £1,292.55 Avant

Saloon http://fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/index.php? ... ct_id=2167
Avant http://fr-rtuning-shop.co.uk/index.php? ... ct_id=2907

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:43 am

birdiemachine wrote:Can't be arsed spending money and replacing it with the same parts as have already failed.

I'll get my indie to check it friday and if it's leaking well stick a set of ohlins or kW in. Been a expensive first 2 weeks of ownership 760 for tyres and 1700 for coilies.
The later spec DRC dampers (Version 3) are much more reliable than the parts probably fitted to your car.

Ohlins kit is good but they recommend rebuilding every year or so.

KW also very good and more common in the U.K.

Try it with standard ARB's first but I found the car needed uprated ones once the coilovers had been fitted if you go that route.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:29 pm

Been phoning round all morning, looking like a set of kw v3's and some hotchkis :)

Waiting on few prices coming back this evening. Have parked it up for the time being and bought a berlingo, £500 quid it'll keep me going till i can get the rs4 fixed up!

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:31 pm

coffey555 wrote:The later spec DRC dampers (Version 3) are much more reliable than the parts probably fitted to your car.
Agreed - V3 DRC correctly setup, de-pressurised then re-pressurised along with SS+ makes for a pretty unbeatable setup - the DRC when on point is very, very good indeed...
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:56 pm

birdiemachine wrote:Been phoning round all morning, looking like a set of kw v3's and some hotchkis :)

Waiting on few prices coming back this evening. Have parked it up for the time being and bought a berlingo, £500 quid it'll keep me going till i can get the rs4 fixed up!
Hotchkis are at least equal in quality to H&R arb's, the reason they are more expensive is the cost of shipping them to the U.K.

I worked with an American ROV engineer a couple of years ago who modified Subaru's in his off time and he rated the H&R stuff higher in terms of quality.

H&R are adjustable at the front and at the back, the Hotchkis ones are fixed rate at the front with a only the rear one being adjustable.

Having said that there is a guy selling a pair in the classifieds on here just now............

Best keep the Berlingo once the car is mended, you will need a donkey to get about in whilst the thoroughbred is being fixed the next time!
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:31 pm

birdiemachine wrote:- gave up with the sd cards, whatever I do the Rns only recognises them as 380mb cards, very frustrating.
Are you formatting them FAT32?
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

birdiemachine
4th Gear

Post by birdiemachine » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:10 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
birdiemachine wrote:- gave up with the sd cards, whatever I do the Rns only recognises them as 380mb cards, very frustrating.
Yup fat32 and 4096kb file size : (

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:48 pm

birdiemachine wrote:
PetrolDave wrote:
Yup fat32 and 4096kb file size : (
OK, then ignore the message on the RNS-E screen - that's a "feature" of the RNS-E firmware.

Just copy up to 512 MP3 files/folders (any more will be ignored) making sure that the path length (file name plus folder name) is less than 64 characters on all the files and you should be OK.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”