Crocked Engine - Insurance Write Off?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
infernousuk
Trader (Expired)

Re: Crocked Engine - Insurance Write Off?

Post by infernousuk » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:23 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:
infernousuk wrote:PM'D
Have you paid to become a site sponsor yet?

Are you upset with me not replying to any of your messages?

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:54 pm

infernousuk wrote:
Surrey Sam wrote:
infernousuk wrote:PM'D
Have you paid to become a site sponsor yet?

Are you upset with me not replying to any of your messages?
Why would I be upset, I've not sent you any messages? For the record, I'm not on any comission either.

I actually think you could do well if you sponsor the forum and promote all your RS4 parts properly in your own dedicated section, this would be setup and provided for you. :idea:

Carry on as you are and you'll just end up getting banned from the forum. Why not give it a go?
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

edge
5th Gear

Post by edge » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 pm

Bladerider wrote:If you want to keep it then I'd let 'em write it off and then buy it back.

A new engine fitted will be well over 15k, closer to 20k and hence a write off for sure.

BUT there are plenty of the RS4 V8's available from decent breakers for 4-6k (I would think a similar amount to rebuild your block assuming its not toast) and a decent Indy should be able to swap it out for 4-5k labour at most. I would imagine you could buy your engineless car back for under 10k and if I were you I think I would argue that market value for lowish miles, one owner with providence is the thick end of 20k, so it should be just about do-able with a bit of legwork on your part.

You might even be able to get MRC to do all of it and supercharge it at the same time for a lower overall cost - maybe ending up costing you 7k for example !!

This could be an "opportunity" in disguise, you might get a 20k payout, buy your car back for 8k and then cost you about 20k for a newly built, fully forged and monster supercharged engine for another 25k and be in the 700+ club lol

:D :D

Good luck.
Gotta love me some man maths...DO IT!

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Woman maths = more shoes
Man maths = faster car
No matter where you go, there you are.

DuncanF
1st Gear

Post by DuncanF » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:16 pm

At long bloody last the car was approved to be recovered to Audi last week and went on the ramp on Wednesday.

The good news, the insides of the engine are bent, not broken. The bad news is that the cost to strip/fix is coming in at c. £12.5K. The service manager was doing the maths when I popped in on Thursday so it could vary a bit. E.g. it had taken them less time to drop the engine than expected, plus he was looking to discount the labour rate .

I was told by the insurance co's inspector that if the costs went above 60% of their valuation (£20K) then they would write it off as "uneconomic repair". So add a few weeks storage costs and loan car (Citroen C1 ... all three mighty cylinders of it! :D ) from the body Shop it was first taken to and I reckon it will not be good news when I hear back from the insurance company on Mon or Tue. :(

Never having had a write off, what's the gen? Do I just haggle for a "fair" price or must they offer me an amount that would find me a minter, one owner, 07 plate, 67K miles well specc'd car? Any advice?

Ta.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Ring Grizz at Unit 20 to see what he could fit you a s/h engine for and then you know whether it's worthbuying from the insurance company. See what they offer you and do you own valuation based on what's available with similar spec and condition and if the two aren't close, then you have room to negotiate.

steview
2nd Gear

Post by steview » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:35 pm

If your car is now at a dealers with the engine removed ask them how much they'll charge to refit a 2nd hand engine if you source your own. They will probably bill the insurance company for the removal of the original it if it does get written off and then factor that into a valuation for buying it back.

DuncanF
1st Gear

Post by DuncanF » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:43 pm

Thanks for the suggestion guys. But I'm still unclear on what basis the insurance co. will arrive at their valuation should they give it the thumbs down. They have the costs now but it will be another few days before I get a decision.

Meanwhile here are some pics to amuse you ... :(

Last edited by DuncanF on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DuncanF
1st Gear

Post by DuncanF » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Hmmm. Can't seem to link to OneDrive pictures. I'm on a tablet now. I'll try it from a proper computer later!

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:55 pm

DuncanF wrote:Thanks for the suggestion guys. But I'm still unclear on what basis the insurance co. will arrive at their valuation should they give it the thumbs down. They have the costs now but it will be another few days before I get a decision.

Meanwhile here are some pics to amuse you ... :(
I can only get a couple to work for you.

Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

DuncanF
1st Gear

Post by DuncanF » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks Sam!

The other is of all eight pistons lined up on the floor. All the damage is to #1 cylinder/con rod. But the cylinder damage means a new bottom block ... for £6K. Hmmm.

Duncan

DuncanF
1st Gear

Post by DuncanF » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:34 pm

Good news! Audi crunched the numbers and finalised the repair at around £11K which the insurance company have approved. The loan car/storage etc. do not factor into the claim amount as this is part of the contract the have with the bodyshop.

I'm dead cuffed, having braced myself for a death sentence on the old girl! :D

Now then ... when can I have her back?? I'll visit on Monday and have a chat.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:44 pm

Good news Duncan, glad it all worked out!

DuncanF
1st Gear

Post by DuncanF » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks Mike. My only worry now is what sort of loading they will put on my premium at renewal. Anyone have experience of what I can expect? NCB is protected.

DuncanF
1st Gear

Post by DuncanF » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:57 am

Well this hasn't gone how I thought it would ...

The new bottom block eventually arrived and the engine was put back together last Friday. However on running it up it was clear all was not right. Oil leaking from the gearbox/engine join and a vibration of unknown origin. Bugger!

The dealer thinks the bottom block is d.o.a., including an unbalanced crankshaft, so a replacement will be ordered which could take another 7-10 days to deliver. But ... they cannot get that order in until they drop the engine and strip it to confirm the diagnosis, and there is no ramp space until tomorrow. I'm unlikely to get the car back until March now. :x What a palaver!

What I don't get is how Audi can send out a £6K part which is basically junk. It's not like these things are made in their thousands FFS. It is, or should be, precision engineering.

I never pushed hard for an Audi loaner (I'm in a C1 loaner) as the car was expected back last Saturday. But with this new delay Audi say they will get me in some better wheels next week. I saw an OE plate B8 RS4 on the forecourt last week. How to get them to lend that to me until mine is back? Maybe I should kick off a bit? Any advice for twisting arms? Hmmmm.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”