Newbie - my RS4 Avant

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
ChrisW
3rd Gear

Newbie - my RS4 Avant

Post by ChrisW » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:15 pm

Hello all, i've been a member on this forum for quite a long time now although I've been mostly lurking up until now. I thought i'd write a quick post to introduce myself and my latest purchase, a B7 RS4 Avant. Im originally a VW guy at heart having had a string of Golfs, including a mk2 VR6 conversion and a Mk3 with an R32 conversion. I had an 8L S3 years and years ago too, so I've always been a fan of the Audi brand. Inspiration for the RS4 came from Vikram Nagi's Daytona Avant on H&R ultralow coilovers, plus a number of members on this forum with links to the VW community (RS04YOB - aka Carl Taylor plus others).

Vic's old RS4:

First and foremost, what a machine. I spent quite a bit of time looking around for the right example to come up, as its clear there are a lot of examples out there that previously haven't had the most fastidious of owners. I eventually found one 15 miles away from my house from a dealer that I've known about for a while, so I was comfortable that it wasn't a dog.

Its a Jan 2007 car, with 60k on the clock. Spec wise it comes with the technology pack (adaptive headlights are very cool!) and Recaro's. The only thing I wish it had is the auto-lights/wipers as all my other vehicles have this, but realistically its no great hardship twisting a now dial is it? It came with a full Audi service history, but more critically it has had most of the consumables that break replaced relatively recently, such as DRC and oil coolers at the fabled Unit 20.

After reading up on this forum I came to the conclusion that mine was a little underpowered, so I booked it in for a carbon clean at Unit 20, who are also conveniently located less than 25 miles away from me :) At the same time I had the gearbox & diff oils changed, the exhaust butterfly valves opened up as they were stuck closed, the vacuum pipes blocked up and tidied away and then a full health check. The things that came back from the health check were one engine mount needed replacing and that all my top arms needed replacing :thumbsdown: I was already staring at a bill for a grand for the aforementioned work, and after paying for my insurance up front and about 3 tanks of fuel in 2 weeks I was a little strapped, so I asked if the top arms was a critical job and thankfully Rhian informed me that it could wait as they weren't exactly falling off. Seeing as I have plans to lower the car in the future, I thought it more economical to do that job when the springs get installed, so I'm not paying for 2 sets of DRC repressures.

Overall the car feels extremely tight and starts on the button. There are a few little quirks such as the clonking drivers door, loose handbrake surround (which I can only attribute to the previous owner re-fitting it incorrectly after removing the arm rest) and slow retracting seatbelt, but on the whole its like a new car. I actually contacted one previous owner who had the car for 3 years, he confirmed that the car had been in a car port during his ownership and that the first owner was a doctor (doesn't mean much I know, but its slightly reassuring). This figures as the paintwork is superb, I'm into my detailing and I was very happy with the condition of the paint indeed.

Mine:

I do miss having bluetooth audio and phone etc, so I will be taking the car to Kowalski Details in Manchester to have a complete technology overhaul with an RNSE mk2, AMI and bluetooth link fitted. So, with all the above mentioned I'm probably looking at the wrong side of £4k worth of work, so I better start working a bit harder!

Thanks for reading :)
Current: 07' B7 RS4 Avant
Previous: Mk2 Golf VR6 conversion, Mk2 Golf GTi 16v, Mk2 Golf 1.6 GL Auto, Mk3 Golf R32 conversion, BMW Z4 Coupe, BMW 430d, Audi S3, Defender 90 XS, Alfa Romeo 145

docurley
5th Gear

Re: Newbie - my RS4 Avant

Post by docurley » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:32 pm

Very nice a little info on the wheels would be good.
Edit:

I see thats not your car :bash:
Avus Audi RS4 2076|Black optic |Carbon Airbag surround|LED'S inside|RNS-E style Android Stereo with DAB+ dongle|

ChrisW
3rd Gear

Re: Newbie - my RS4 Avant

Post by ChrisW » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:02 pm

They were custom made by BBS for Ford for a Mustang Concept car. 20 x 9" with a 5x114 PCD and a 40 odd offset.
Current: 07' B7 RS4 Avant
Previous: Mk2 Golf VR6 conversion, Mk2 Golf GTi 16v, Mk2 Golf 1.6 GL Auto, Mk3 Golf R32 conversion, BMW Z4 Coupe, BMW 430d, Audi S3, Defender 90 XS, Alfa Romeo 145

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”