Miltek exhaust

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Stevea
Neutral

Miltek exhaust

Post by Stevea » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi everyone - I'm a new member having recently purchased a B7 RS4 Avant. Its performing well but im now getting tired of the non resonated Miltek exhaust. Its just to much for me when im not in the mood to floor it everywhere and I need to sort it out. My question is, if I fit Miltek silencers will this get rid of the booming around 2,000 RPM? Does anyone have experience of both fitments? Or should I revert to OEM if I want a more civilised drive around town? Thanks

rocket1
4th Gear

Re: Miltek exhaust

Post by rocket1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:51 pm

you should refit the oem system and sell it to me cheaply lol. have you not already got the milltek silencers? you can buy a resonated miltek centre section that should loose the drone at 2-3k rpm.
rs4 b7 daytona avant. Miltek resonated valved, Mrc stage 2
vw touran 2.0tdi, blue /black leather. family wagon!!.
repsol honda fireblade.
Zx12r b1 in black and gold. The colour to have!!

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:56 pm

PetrolDave should be able to comment as he went from Non Res to Res Milltekdue to the drone
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:59 pm

I have recently gone from non res to resonated, I have a Miltek valved system and I fitted the Miltek resonators, the drone has gone completely

What I was surprised at was the system is still throaty and even more so when hitting the sports button but without the continuos drone, where you trying to drive and change gear according to the revs

In my opinion it's is a much smoother drive, the car picks up faster and deacceleration ie engine braking is more effective,
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:36 pm

toyneg wrote:PetrolDave should be able to comment as he went from Non Res to Res Milltekdue to the drone
I just couldn't live with the drone of the non-res so I got MRC to swap the centre pipes to the res Milltek and now (for me) I've got the exhaust I wanted in the first place - more exhaust note than the (fairly boring) OE exhaust but not so loud that it was forcing me to completely change my driving style to avoid my ears hurting.

I'd definitely advise that OP tries the Milltek res centre pipes rather than going back to the OE system.

P.S. If anyone wants a pair of Milltek centre non-res pipes they're safely stored in my garage roof after just over a years use.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:57 pm

fitting a resonated miltek center sections wont remove the drone at 1800-2000 totally but will reduce it a lot but in in sport mode the res system has still a lot of drone at that rpm ,well mine has drone and its annoying around town having to drive around it all the time , mine has the valved system also , i have the non res center section in my shed too as the guy i bought the whole system from had the non res exhaust on for 3 days , he couldnt stand it , so bought res centre sections and got them fitted and was happy enough until he traded the car and removed the milly
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 pm

I wonder how much difference between saloon and avant on the resonated centre sections? I think the drone on mine has gone, I would not go OEM, but if you did you can pick them up cheap as chips
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:46 pm

rwilsonrs4 wrote:fitting a resonated miltek center sections wont remove the drone at 1800-2000 totally but will reduce it a lot but in in sport mode the res system has still a lot of drone at that rpm
+1

But the drone is a lot quieter with the res than the non-res - at least the navigation lady is having to shout so loudly that you could hear the speakers distorting with the non-res...

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:48 pm

R1RS4 wrote:I wonder how much difference between saloon and avant on the resonated centre sections?
Avants are bound to drone more - the drone is a cabin resonance excited by the exhaust and as the Avant has a longer cabin it is more prone to louder drone at lower frequency (= lower rpm).

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:16 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
rwilsonrs4 wrote:fitting a resonated miltek center sections wont remove the drone at 1800-2000 totally but will reduce it a lot but in in sport mode the res system has still a lot of drone at that rpm
+1

But the drone is a lot quieter with the res than the non-res - at least the navigation lady is having to shout so loudly that you could hear the speakers distorting with the non-res...
+! lol true about the nav lady
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

Stevea
Neutral

Post by Stevea » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:12 pm

Thanks all for your comments. I never use the Sport button when just pottering around town, and still have to adjust my driving style, holding the gears to keep the revs up to keep the drone at bay. If you want the attention and looks from pedestrians then non res is the way to go. I've never driven a car that gets so much attention, the sound is up there with super cars. I will get the silencers fitted and report back the difference, fingers crossed it sorts it completely. Otherwise there will be a Miltek system with both centre sections up for grabs.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”