Condensation Issue

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
CharlieD
2nd Gear

Condensation Issue

Post by CharlieD » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 am

Hi guys, been lurking here for a few months now... am now a proud RS4 owner of 2 months :smile_smoking:

Had some minor issues... I get a lot of internal mist buildup generally... today I ran the engine whilst running the vents at "windscreen clearing mode" for a few minutes (so I could actually see!), drove down to the local garage to buy some stuff, and noticed this as I was putting the shopping bag in:

Pretty sure that's not normal right? Is this enough info to make a sound diagnosis of the problem?

Really hoping there's an easy remedy for this...
RS4 B7 Phantom Black Saloon
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

PetrolDave
Cruising

Re: Condensation Issue

Post by PetrolDave » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:27 am

That's not condensation, that's water running out of the heater plenum - which likely means that the plenum drain hose is blocked.

It's usually buildup of rotted leaves etc. which is easily cleared, once you get to the drain, with a screwdriver or similar.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

ChrisW
3rd Gear

Post by ChrisW » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:56 am

Im getting a lot of interior moisture too, not quite on the scale of the above but it is there nonetheless. I used to have to do this on all my old Golfs, where is the plenum hose located on these? I'm currently in bed with man flu, so i'd be grateful if someone could tell me so i can go out armed and ready.
Current: 07' B7 RS4 Avant
Previous: Mk2 Golf VR6 conversion, Mk2 Golf GTi 16v, Mk2 Golf 1.6 GL Auto, Mk3 Golf R32 conversion, BMW Z4 Coupe, BMW 430d, Audi S3, Defender 90 XS, Alfa Romeo 145

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:39 am

ChrisW wrote:Im getting a lot of interior moisture too, not quite on the scale of the above but it is there nonetheless. I used to have to do this on all my old Golfs, where is the plenum hose located on these? I'm currently in bed with man flu, so i'd be grateful if someone could tell me so i can go out armed and ready.
Sorry mate if you have man flu, you cannot go anywhere, you must stay in bed. Man flu is so serious, it's the equivelent of a women giving birth, plenty of top gear, street outlaws, gold Rush, counting cars etc

The car comes next, good luck hope you pull through
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

geordie jay
5th Gear

Post by geordie jay » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:37 pm

I would like to know where the plenum hose is aswell? there a right f£$%k off tree in me garden and so annoying this time of year when leaves are falling off

davers6
3rd Gear

Post by davers6 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Try and park facing downhill can get in then

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:13 pm

My B6 never had an issue, but my B5 is bad for condensation in this kind of weather.
B5 B6 B7 B9

CharlieD
2nd Gear

Post by CharlieD » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:55 am

PetrolDave wrote:That's not condensation, that's water running out of the heater plenum - which likely means that the plenum drain hose is blocked.

It's usually buildup of rotted leaves etc. which is easily cleared, once you get to the drain, with a screwdriver or similar.
Thanks PetrolDave, I took out the plenum cover and had a look-see, sure enough there was about an inch of water sitting there at the bottom on the N/S. Wasn't able to see much of the O/S but in any case I managed to clear the blockage using a steel drain unblocker tool. :thumbs:

What still worries me a bit though is:
  • How the hell the water gets into the cabin in the first place!
  • Getting at the other drain seems impossible as the brake servo is in the way.
As I was reading about this on the web I happened to come across a post about my chassis being one of the models affected by a specific Audi recall regarding the plenum drain grommets... will give the dealers a ring tomorrow about it.
RS4 B7 Phantom Black Saloon
[ MRC Stage 2 Map w/ LC/FS @ 440 PS ] : [ TubiStyle Exhaust ] : [ Milltek Decat Downpipes ] : [ Deflapped Manifold ] : [ Cold Air Feed ] : [ Revo/Pipercross CF Induction ] : [ H&R ARBs Front+Rear ]
[
Forged Rotor RS5.0 OEM+ 20x10.5 ] : [ AccuAir Airlift Performance + e-Level Mgmt ] : [ Wrapped in 3M Black Rose ]

Build Thread

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:53 pm

CharlieD wrote:How the hell the water gets into the cabin in the first place!
The same way the air gets into the cabin - through the footwell vents. If air can get through (which it has to for the heater to work,) then (rain) water can get through. The drains are at the lowest point in the plenum chamber so when they're unblocked the (rain) water exits that way, but when the drains are blocked the (rain) water has to exit through the footwell vents.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”