oil for me b7 rs4?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
bam_bam
Cruising

Re: oil for me b7 rs4?

Post by bam_bam » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:13 pm

neilparf wrote: Besides, on a separate more inspiring note sweegie, when the hell is your RS246 Avatar going to swallow - it's bothering me...
...when is your Speak n Spell going to say same something?
No matter where you go, there you are.

sweegie
4th Gear

Post by sweegie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:29 pm

neilparf wrote: Besides, on a separate more inspiring note sweegie, when the hell is your RS246 Avatar going to swallow - it's bothering me...
Just chewin' the RS246 fat, my friend... ;)
Recycling dinosaurs for fun

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:50 pm

bam_bam wrote:...when is your Speak n Spell going to say same something?
Sorted.

All I could think of. All that would fit... in the absence of animation.

Further suggestions on a postcard...
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:51 pm

Two girls...

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:59 pm

That would necessitate the deletion of the speaker to the left.

Whatever. It's Photoshop where the space time continuum can be bent...
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Far more of a nod to tradition...

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:05 pm

And to all the naysayers of off-topic chat, here's proof it's useful, just look at Mr. Parf's avatar.

CellDamage
3rd Gear

Post by CellDamage » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:02 pm

sweegie wrote:
CellDamage wrote:Each to their own, all I'm saying is for the extra £, the benefits are probably minimal...
And a whole pile of other mince...
As for "probably minimal", I'd love to take your advice here but can you be more specific? Do you infact think that oil designed for shopping cars is suitable for, and more importantly, reccomended for a high performance car such as the RS4? Or my RS6 because it meets the specifications?

I've obviously been wasting a ton of money! Perhaps if the benefits are minimal, I shouldn't really bother about the formulation of the oil's base stocks, or additive packs... Or infact how resistant it is to fuel dilution. Motul are clearly mad thinking their 300v "Gucci sh!t" at £13 per litre is going to sell ;) Who needs those synthetic diesters anyway....
Check you out knowing about base stocks and additive packs..

Do you have any information on how the OE oil performs with fuel dilution in comparison to what you're using? Or a side by side comparison with any characteristics?

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:13 pm

bam_bam wrote:And to all the naysayers of off-topic chat, here's proof it's useful, just look at Mr. Parf's avatar.
Off topic rocks. Anything boob related rocks in my books...

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:34 pm

cant find the sheet i got for my oil sample test at the moment but mine had 0 fuel dilution after 4500 miles i think and its supercharged ,and get the s..t beaten out of it most of the time and the results were excellent , its Castrol Edge 5w30 , i think i posted it on here at the time , so ive no issue running it in mine :-)viewtopic.php?f=35&t=109391#p667049
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

sweegie
4th Gear

Post by sweegie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:17 am

CellDamage wrote: Check you out knowing about base stocks and additive packs..
Do you have any information on how the OE oil performs with fuel dilution in comparison to what you're using? Or a side by side comparison with any characteristics?
Nah, nothing that specific, sorry... Oil companies are pretty secretive about exact formulations, so a lot has to be derived from reading between the lines and searching through their material safety data sheets. Castrol manufacture Quantum oil, so I'd take a good guess that Quantum Platinum is similar to Castrol Edge in the same viscosity. For arguments sake, I'll suggest they cost around the same.

For fuel dilution resistance, how the base oil is made is significant. At the low end of oil cost, you have hydrocracked mineral oils (API Group III), which are legally allowed to be called fully synthetic in the UK, but not in Germany. Moving up in the world, you have proper synthetics in the form of Polyalphaolefins (PAO) (API Group IV) and Esters (API Group V). PAOs and Esters are the most expensive to produce, but are also the toughest giving best film strength and resistance to heat & fuel dilution. Typically the more expensive the oil, the more PAO and Ester content it has.

Castrol Edge 5W30 can not be called a fully synthetic oil in Germany because a portion of it is made up from Group III HC mineral oil. I strongly suspect Quantum Platinum is the same, for the reasons given above. This is not true of their 10W60 oil though, which is a true synthetic and rated for BMW's M series engines.

I *really* dont want to get involved in a bloody oil bun fight, and as rwilsonrs4's oil test results confirm, Castrol is working well in his car.... I just dont like it because they brand a Group III oil as fully synthetic (as do most companies because they can get away with it here in the UK....) and I think there are better oils out there if you pay a little more.

You can point fingers now and call me a sad geek ;)

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:03 am

My. Hero.

Fact. Spend a little extra cash, then the better the oil if chosen wisely.

It's worked well when buying oil for numerous cars and bikes I've owned in the past... all in my opinion, of course.

marc1
Cruising

Post by marc1 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:28 am

Interesting reading Sweegie regarding the Castrol Edge in Germany. :thumb:

On another note chaps, regarding the fact that some oils meet the criteria and are therefore suitable for application in our cars... Is not the same as your local supermarket fuel (Tesco 99 excluded) being the same RON and therefore fine to use... However I suspect none of use it out of choice and always head for Shell Nitro Plus or Tesco 99 as the fuels of choice.

bam_bam
Cruising

Post by bam_bam » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:47 pm

sweegie wrote:
CellDamage wrote: Check you out knowing about base stocks and additive packs..
Nah, nothing that specific, sorry... Oil companies are pretty secretive about exact formulations, so a lot has to be derived from reading between the lines and searching through their material safety data sheets. Castrol manufacture Quantum oil, so I'd take a good guess that Quantum Platinum is similar to Castrol Edge in the same viscosity. For arguments sake, I'll suggest they cost around the same.

For fuel dilution resistance, how the base oil is made is significant. At the low end of oil cost, you have hydrocracked mineral oils (API Group III), which are legally allowed to be called fully synthetic in the UK, but not in Germany. Moving up in the world, you have proper synthetics in the form of Polyalphaolefins (PAO) (API Group IV) and Esters (API Group V). PAOs and Esters are the most expensive to produce, but are also the toughest giving best film strength and resistance to heat & fuel dilution. Typically the more expensive the oil, the more PAO and Ester content it has.

Castrol Edge 5W30 can not be called a fully synthetic oil in Germany because a portion of it is made up from Group III HC mineral oil. I strongly suspect Quantum Platinum is the same, for the reasons given above. This is not true of their 10W60 oil though, which is a true synthetic and rated for BMW's M series engines.

I *really* dont want to get involved in a bloody oil bun fight, and as rwilsonrs4's oil test results confirm, Castrol is working well in his car.... I just dont like it because they brand a Group III oil as fully synthetic (as do most companies because they can get away with it here in the UK....) and I think there are better oils out there if you pay a little more.

You can point fingers now and call me a sad geek ;)
*points finger* Sad geek.

sweegie
4th Gear

Post by sweegie » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:14 pm

bam_bam wrote: *points finger* Sad geek.
Thanks, and now back to boobs. Or funbags, if you will... Or perhaps even some soapy spheres of splendour.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”