3k-8k rpm test

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
KernowPete
4th Gear

3k-8k rpm test

Post by KernowPete » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 am

Hi all, what's the accepted way to perform the above test? Do you pootle up to 3k rpm then floor it once there? Or have it already pinned then start timing once you get to 3k?
2007 B7 RS4 Phantom Black Saloon - stock
Previous: Lightly modded Mondeo ST220 (great car), nothing else worth mentioning!

Baz4
2nd Gear

Re: 3k-8k rpm test

Post by Baz4 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:32 am

Feed the throttle in from 2000 revs and make sure it's fully planted by 2500-2750 revs. That's what I was told.

KernowPete
4th Gear

Post by KernowPete » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:11 pm

Baz4 wrote:Feed the throttle in from 2000 revs and make sure it's fully planted by 2500-2750 revs. That's what I was told.
Cheers Baz.
2007 B7 RS4 Phantom Black Saloon - stock
Previous: Lightly modded Mondeo ST220 (great car), nothing else worth mentioning!

fast_eddy
Neutral

Post by fast_eddy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:30 pm

What's a good time to be seeing when you do this? What does it mean you need to do if you record a slow time? :?:
Current:
None :( Car written off

Prev:
2013 C63 AMG 507 Edition
2006 Sprint Blue B7 RS4 - Milltek non-resonated full system

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:40 pm

fast_eddy wrote:What's a good time to be seeing when you do this? What does it mean you need to do if you record a slow time? :?:
Anywhere in the low 8 second mark is OK.

If you're much slower than that then you're down on power, so (assuming you are running at least 98RON fuel) you need to first check the vacuum system (that's the cause of the vast majority of big power losses), then check the basics (plugs, air filter, etc.) and if those are OK then think about a carbon clean.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

fast_eddy
Neutral

Post by fast_eddy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:42 pm

PetrolDave wrote:
fast_eddy wrote:What's a good time to be seeing when you do this? What does it mean you need to do if you record a slow time? :?:

If you're much slower than that then you're down on power, so (assuming you are running at least 98RON fuel) you need to first check the vacuum system (that's the cause of the vast majority of big power losses), then check the basics (plugs, air filter, etc.) and if those are OK then think about a carbon clean.
Thanks. Just bought mine 3 months ago and due to work haven't had a chance to really get to grips with all these little bits to check. Will be interested to see what gives!
Current:
None :( Car written off

Prev:
2013 C63 AMG 507 Edition
2006 Sprint Blue B7 RS4 - Milltek non-resonated full system

Cerec1
Neutral

Post by Cerec1 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:15 pm

PetrolDave wrote:

I'm another one new to these ace motors. Keep reading about leaks in vacuum system. How do you check these systems. Dealer?

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:02 am

Cerec1 wrote:
PetrolDave wrote:

I'm another one new to these ace motors. Keep reading about leaks in vacuum system. How do you check these systems. Dealer?
1st do the test as mentioned above and go from there

If you do a search on the RS4 B7 forum, ie vac leak, vacuum leak, vacuum system, there are many entries from experienced owners, have a read it will take you a while but will give you what your looking for to start with
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:41 pm

this got me wanting to have another go at this test as it has been a while so went out last night - did 2 runs, 6 degrees temp, half a tank of V Bastard, sport button on and traction off - did 7.5 1st run which seemed quick so had another run and filmed it on my iphone so i could be more accurate. 8.15 so happy the car is healthy :)
Glacier White 2017 S3 Saloon with all the Tech.
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps
previous - B6 A4 1.8T S-Line 215PS

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Yea I did last night and it coming in under 6.5 seconds then I woke up,

I really need to get out and give this a go, I suppose I have been holding off doing it incase its on the slow side, but if it is I am totally happy the way in which its running at present so if there any more horses to be gained then great, will do before the weekend - Done
RS4 B7 Avant,2007
Metallic black, Black optics pack, Black gloss Wheels, Milltek black tipped -valved, MRC Installed TTS Supercharger 610ps/626nm, MRC stage 3 remap, CAF, DRC/SS+ with H&R spacers, carbon race splitter, carbon trim

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:35 pm

R1RS4 wrote:Yea I did last night and it coming in under 6.5 seconds then I woke up,

I really need to get out and give this a go, I suppose I have been holding off doing it incase its on the slow side, but if it is I am totally happy the way in which its running at present so if there any more horses to be gained then great, will do before the weekend - Done
have you had a go at this yet Rich?
Gone but not forgotten - B7 RS4 Saloon Black - H&R spacers, Tints, Gun Metal Alloys, MRC Stage 2, Pre Cats, Milltek Non Res, K/W Springs, MRC Full Carbon clean - 431ps

JCviggen
5th Gear

Post by JCviggen » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:42 pm

I wish more people with tunes would do this and video it. There's so little data about the actual performance gains of getting an extra 50 bhp worth on MRC's dyno.

My stock car did a 7.95 twice back to back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn0Uiem003Q
B7 RS4 saloon Misano red, comfy seats, JHM tune & JHM full exhaust with cats and resonators - gone.
C5 RS6 Avant Daytona/Cognac - gone.
981 Cayman GTS Gray/Orange.
My youtube

R1RS4
5th Gear

Post by R1RS4 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:31 pm

toyneg wrote:
R1RS4 wrote:Yea I did last night and it coming in under 6.5 seconds then I woke up,

Hi mate

I have had a couple of goes, but seems everytime I plan to give it a go something happens

M3 down to 50mph past 6 months so that's out

Found a nice dual carriage way, first go clocked 6.2 ? I thought no it can't be so had another run down just as I hits 3k ...blue lights in the in rear view mirror,,,,, heart stops ... Old bill overtake me must be late for lunch, so I give it a miss

I thought right get up early one morning go down to the dual carriage way, just as I get out on the main road old bill speeds out of a turning and tucks in behind me, followed me for about 3 miles, then flashes me to pull over, your car sir? Where are you going? I am off down to a dual carriage way officer to check my 3k - 8k time ,,, no I didn't but and so it goes on

Next go 8.2 then an 8.5 with sports button, it's off the road at the mo trying to get that 393 to the 400 mark :biggrin3: :blackrs4:
RS4 B7 Avant,2007

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:57 pm

JCviggen wrote:I wish more people with tunes would do this and video it. There's so little data about the actual performance gains of getting an extra 50 bhp worth on MRC's dyno.

My stock car did a 7.95 twice back to back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn0Uiem003Q
i'll try and get my vid loaded of a 7.4 run

toyneg
5th Gear

Post by toyneg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:59 pm

R1RS4 wrote:
toyneg wrote:

Hi mate

I have had a couple of goes, but seems everytime I plan to give it a go something happens

M3 down to 50mph past 6 months so that's out

Found a nice dual carriage way, first go clocked 6.2 ? I thought no it can't be so had another run down just as I hits 3k ...blue lights in the in rear view mirror,,,,, heart stops ... Old bill overtake me must be late for lunch, so I give it a miss

I thought right get up early one morning go down to the dual carriage way, just as I get out on the main road old bill speeds out of a turning and tucks in behind me, followed me for about 3 miles, then flashes me to pull over, your car sir? Where are you going? I am off down to a dual carriage way officer to check my 3k - 8k time ,,, no I didn't but and so it goes on

Next go 8.2 then an 8.5 with sports button, it's off the road at the mo trying to get that 393 to the 400 mark :biggrin3: :blackrs4:
haha! what are you having done?

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”