Air fault that is not an air fault?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
Stairs
2nd Gear

Air fault that is not an air fault?

Post by Stairs » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:17 am

I know someone can help on here!

I had a fault light pop up, the one that looks like an engine... at least I think thats what it is meant to be......so took it to Audi Crawley, after 1 hour they said it was an air leak from the bit that heats up the Cat's when you start the car, the pump was fine, the valve was fine so it would be a few hours to follow the piping round to establish where the issue was.

They said the car was ok to drive so I took it away, on the way home another light came on 'EMC' (I think), this appeared after the engine was at idle then rev'ed up a bit then settled down again, so a little more worried I took it into a local VAG guy close by who seems to know what he is doing with these engines.
After some inspection, all the piping is fine so now he wants to look at the manifold, this had shown up on a fault code as well but was not mentioned by Audi. This apparently feeds the system with the air so I guess logically that could cause the fault code for the first issue.

Any thoughts or suggestions that I can throw at him where it could be just a squirt of WD40 somewhere or does this sound something a little more serious? I have seen people mention MAF sensors going, which in my ignorance I am guessing is a Manifold Flap sensor?

As always I am indebted to everyones wisdom.

(This would have been the perfect time to convince the misses we can get a B8, but I literary signed the papers for as new f*****g Honda yesterday on finance so can't afford it... Grrr)

adsgreen
Cruising

Re: Air fault that is not an air fault?

Post by adsgreen » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:49 pm

search vacuum leak. Eat some popcorn for a while as there is a fair bit to go through.
In summary, no quick fix and likely manifold off.

MAF is mass air flow sensor mounted on/near the throttle body.
Manifold sensors (there are two) are on the manifold and measure how much the flaps open.

Stairs
2nd Gear

Re: Air fault that is not an air fault?

Post by Stairs » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:25 pm

Thanks for the reply, the Audi report said the Vacuum system was working correctly..... Does this confuse or eliminate things?

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”