Adaptive (AFS) headlamp retrofit - anyone done it?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
TonyHayers
5th Gear

Adaptive (AFS) headlamp retrofit - anyone done it?

Post by TonyHayers » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:47 am

Has anyone done a retrofit of AFS Xenons (i.e bendy/cornering/adaptive) to replace their normal non-AFS Xenons?

I've inadvertently ended up with a pair of adaptives as replacements. The lamps all work, but the self-levelling doesn't and there's an associated fault in VCDS to do with xenon headlamp range.

I've heard that I might need to swap out the headlamp module behind the glovebox.

Anyone here done it?

Cheers.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs
^ GONE :cry:

gt2
3rd Gear

Re: Adaptive (AFS) headlamp retrofit - anyone done it?

Post by gt2 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am

I've not done it but there's a sensor in the passenger side wheel arch that you would also need to fit.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:32 pm

gt2 wrote:I've not done it but there's a sensor in the passenger side wheel arch that you would also need to fit.
Do you know what sort of sensor?

I obviously have levelling sensors for the standard xenons fitted.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:
DONE: Water Meth Injection, Carbon clean at 64k, CAI, Gutted Precats, Non-res x-pipe, H&R 8mm spacers, H&R springs

gt2
3rd Gear

Post by gt2 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:38 pm

Yeah it's for the levelling. Sorry, I didn't realise the standard Xenons had that function.

Trups
Trader (Expired)

Post by Trups » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Are the ballast not different?

what are the part numbers of your ballast and what are the numbers of AFS ones?

Trups
Phantom Black C6 RS6 - ex Classba battleship
Mugello C6 RS6 5.0 TFSi AVANT - Gone.

If you have any quieries for interior or exterior LED's then get in touch.

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:19 pm

Trups wrote:Are the ballast not different?

what are the part numbers of your ballast and what are the numbers of AFS ones?

Trups
Yeah, the ballasts are different (they came with ballasts and xenon bulbs) and they seem to be working fine.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

RS6BRIT
3rd Gear

Post by RS6BRIT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:37 pm

Tony, if you decide to sell those on then let me know. My car has adaps from the factory but they dont work as the motors are both knackered. Just a thought, if you decided not to do the whole retrofit then it might be cheaper for me to buy you new non adaps and take yours ? Dont mean to take the piss. Its just a thought.

On a side not what is your fault code on VCDS ?

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi mate - I'm kinda committed now as I took them apart and have modified the insides!

I bought a new headlamp range module, which apparently is required and have rewired, but struggling to recode it atm.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

John Johnson
5th Gear

Post by John Johnson » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Some one on here was on about they had or were doing it , sorry I can't help any more
Fwiw it took me a year to twig I had em and the fascinate me now :oops:
Current toys in the garage
B7 avant in Daytona with ceramics and a few other goodies and lowwwww miles :-)
Ur quattro. lago Blue
Ur quattro. Mars red

Rs1600i
Transit custom sportvan

http://youtu.be/FWBUl7oT9sA

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:41 am

I found this post on audiworld which looked like it would work:
http://www.audiworld.com/forums/vag-com ... t-2822341/

I bought a new module (8T0 907 357 / 4F0 907 357 F) and rewired it according to that post, but I'm unable to recode module 55 to 0000019 (i.e tell it this is an "A4") in VCDS, it just gives me an out-of-range error. So I'm getting 2 DTCs, one that the module is uncoded, it's currently showing as 0000255. The other fault is no signal from powertrain data bus - no idea what that means :(

Bit stuck.
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:27 am

TonyHayers wrote:The other fault is no signal from powertrain data bus - no idea what that means :(
Because it's not coded for an A4 it can't understand the messages it's receiving on the Powertrain CAN bus that tell it which way to point the headlights.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

TonyHayers
5th Gear

Post by TonyHayers » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:23 am

PetrolDave wrote:
TonyHayers wrote:The other fault is no signal from powertrain data bus - no idea what that means :(
Because it's not coded for an A4 it can't understand the messages it's receiving on the Powertrain CAN bus that tell it which way to point the headlights.
Thanks Dave - any ideas to try and get the module coded? Feels like I'm so close!
06 Phantom Black Saloon:

PetrolDave
Cruising

Post by PetrolDave » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:19 pm

TonyHayers wrote:Thanks Dave - any ideas to try and get the module coded? Feels like I'm so close!
I suspect the clue to your problem is in the module part number prefix of 8T0/4F0 - which means it's intended for a B8 or a C6, so my best guess is that it's got firmware that won't accept coding for a B7... I could be wrong though.
Gone: 2006 B7 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black)

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:22 pm

Tony, I'm convinced Surrey Sam is retrofitting AFS to his Avant - we spoke at the last South Meet Boxhill about him awaiting units from Magnetti Marelli - not sure what stage he's at with it but I suspect he would have looked into the coding side - maybe worth a PM?

Having said that, PetrolDave does have a valid point. The firmware would be the key area to circumvent if at all...

Good luck...
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 pm

neilparf wrote:Tony, I'm convinced Surrey Sam is retrofitting AFS to his Avant - we spoke at the last South Meet Boxhill about him awaiting units from Magnetti Marelli - not sure what stage he's at with it but I suspect he would have looked into the coding side - maybe worth a PM?
Evening Neil, we've exchanged a few PM's and unfortunately I have nothing else to offer at this stage. As you recall correctly, the last remaining light is frustratingly still on backorder!!! Grrrrr :evil:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”