RS4 ticking ... Stumped

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
thedru13
Neutral

Re: RS4 ticking ... Stumped

Post by thedru13 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:42 pm

:) you are not the only one frustrated... So it does feel a bit rougher when the noise kicks in so 2300 rpms you feel it. Almost like when a coil pack is failing. But... Its not all the time. Noise is all the time. Bit hard to explain.. I have a VAG-COM so i could look at that value just wasn't sure how to do it. Not very good with that thing.. I can look on there site and read. I was thinking the timing chain guide just cause of the slapping noise but then was reading that the RS4 design is different than the S4 so not "usually" a point of failure on the car.. Maybe I got lucky. Another item to note is I am not getting any smoke out of the tail pipe. Nothing more than normal so its not smoking or smelling like burnt oil. Not sure if that is an indicator.
rwilsonrs4 wrote:if you have done a borescope test also thats another handy thing , i,m frustrated by this one as i want to hear it and feel it :? , valve timing issue dont seem to be a problem with these compared to the S4 which had serious issues but hey its an engine and things can go wrong unfortunately , say for instance it has a variable timing problem due to a chain guide broken or tensioer failure ,VVT actautor failure or oil supply to the actuator causing it to not function properly then should immediately flag up a code as the valve timing will likely be out ,it is obviously critical for engine timing but also for emissions regs . if you have VCDS /vag com , you could have a look at the variable timing on there and see if both sides are operating the same

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:44 pm

thedru13 wrote:Ok I can try that. Just so odd if its misfiring why it doesn't code.. :(
Rick_RS4 wrote:
thedru13 wrote: most of my clips are snapped.
that hold the plug to the coil?

sure they are all tightly connected?

id do what suggested above, start up and pull the plug off a coil at a time then see if it gets worse or stays the same.

yeah they can misfire and not throw a code.

also have you checked for dredded vac leaks? split hose, maybe a cracked breather pipe, they are brittle plastic from the top of the rocker cover,

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:59 pm

listening to the second video , its noticably louder on the RH side (in the video) it does sound like a bad tensioner or variable actuator , but its a tough call to make , though from the diagnosis you have done the options are now getting limited
does it feel well down on power , i know your not working it too hard as there is a problem ,but noise aside does it pull as normal ?
Last edited by rwilsonrs4 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque
1/4 mile 12.01 secs 123.5mph

thedru13
Neutral

Post by thedru13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:02 am

I did visual inspection of all hoses and nothing appeared to be cracked or split. I did use a stethoscope to listen and still having trouble finding the right spot. It really did sound like it was coming from the injector at the 3rd cylinder so that is why i ended up replacing them. I don't feel anything violent going on so I don't feel much of a slapping. And yes it sound more of a slap then a tick. Almost like a marble is bouncing around inside.

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:10 am

Something else have a check of the little core plugs on the intake runners of the inlet manifold where the plates are bolted to the rods on the tumble flaps , those have known to have been pulled in and either pass through without serious damage or wreck the cylinder , it will usually cause rough running due to the huge airleak into the system (more noticable at idle ) worth a look , there are 16 of these little things , 2 on each runner
Phantom black saloon ,PES M112 Supercharged 520ps/595nm K&N filter, 100 cell milltek cats,res valved milltek system. 8 and 10mm H&R spacers.H&R roll bars, "smoke chrome " alloy refurb. JHM Quickshifter, Bilstein B16 coilovers , uprated diff mount ,50/50 devils own WM kit so 1.4 litres/min in intake approx 10% more power and torque

thedru13
Neutral

Post by thedru13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:11 am

So it does feel off in power. When I gun it a bit the butt dyno doesn't feel like normal. The slapping gets a lot louder with the higher RPMs so that is why i usually back off. The first video i posted I was pushing the car. Last part of that 1st video is the car in Neutral and just reving it..
rwilsonrs4 wrote:listening to the second video , its noticably louder on the RH side (in the video) it does sound like a bad tensioner or variable actuator , but its a tough call to make , though from the diagnosis you have done the options are now getting limited
does it feel well down on power , i know your not working it too hard as there is a problem ,but noise aside does it pull as normal ?

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:15 am

this pic shows the position of the core plugs , these are replacement ones not the dished type as fitted std , they are not available from audi but not hardto get once you have the size

in hindsight the plugs are normally spat out and cause running issues not sucked in , its the screws on the manifold flaps that can come out and get sucked into the engine , or the plates have been know to snap , the fact that you have looked into each cyl will show piston damage by such items for sure and probably plug damage also , no harm in looking tho it will take a few secs only , did you look at the flaps in the manifold while it was off ?
Attachments
Inlet-1.jpg
Last edited by rwilsonrs4 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

thedru13
Neutral

Post by thedru13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:19 am

Glad you posted that pic i will have to take a look at that very interesting thought if that could actually be it. I have yet to idle the car with the "S" button engaged. Not sure that will do anything or show me anything but might be something to cross off the list. Now I wish I was back at the shop to run out and try that.
rwilsonrs4 wrote:Something else have a check of the little core plugs on the intake runners of the inlet manifold where the plates are bolted to the rods on the tumble flaps , those have known to have been pulled in and either pass through without serious damage or wreck the cylinder , it will usually cause rough running due to the huge airleak into the system (more noticable at idle ) worth a look , there are 16 of these little things , 2 on each runner

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:22 am

sorry edited the last one again :-)

thedru13
Neutral

Post by thedru13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:33 am

Yes checked all he flaps and they all moved in sync on each side. Also no visual part damage on hoses and actuators. No metal flakes in the oil either when I drained it. Not sure if I mentioned that.

rwilsonrs4
4th Gear

Post by rwilsonrs4 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:37 am

Ok i,ll sleep on it hopefully its resolved without pulling the motor :-(, its late here in the UK so bed time , :sleeping_2:

thedru13
Neutral

Post by thedru13 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:38 am

Yah it is. Lol. Thanks again for the dialogue. Maybe it will fix itself. lol.

thedru13
Neutral

Post by thedru13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:45 am

Leaning more and more towards rod knock. Put some thicker weight oil to see if that would calm the noise down and did nothing. Noise seems louder. Wanted to try and pull each coil individually to see if the noise would go away if that cylinder didn't fire but not sure if that would work. Any thoughts on how to do that?

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:23 am

Does the noise change when pulling the coil packs out one by one on one cylinder?
If so then its likely to be rod bearing.
If not then it could be main bearing.

As for throwing misfire codes - the ecu has some quite strict parameters to test. In general it is expecting a certain variance in crank acceleration esp when cold. For the solid mil light to go on it usually requires the engine at operating temp and a certain number of misfire within a defined time period. Some ecu's also have a speed range in which to test.
This is looking for a minor misfire but is consistent.

If you get a flashing mil then it means something badly misfiring (to the point petrol is being sent out the exhaust and into the hot cat.
This usually happens if a cylinder is completely dead and there's no detected acceleration event when the plug fires.

Did the stethoscope you used have a metal probe end?

I think it's hit the stage where the engine has to be pulled.

thedru13
Neutral

Post by thedru13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:08 pm

So this is good info thank you. I have to pull the coil and see. Wasn't sure if that would work. I first got a flashing cel then it stayed on. Cleared the code and never came back. I used a stethoscope with a metal end. I am just not sure if I want to spend the money and time to fix it at this point.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”