Proud Newbie :D but need some advice

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
daani8112
Neutral

Proud Newbie :D but need some advice

Post by daani8112 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:13 pm

Hi all
I am proud to say I have finally bought myself an RS4 and then came across this brilliant place.

After a long search to find a bargain I let my heart take over and paid that little bit more than I wanted to just to finally get it lol
Quick details it is an 07 plate black with black optics pack full dealer service history 67k and has had 2 owners.

Unfortunately i bought it recorded due to the usual reason.. some b******d nicked the buckets and the steering wheel!!

Now i haven't picked the car up yet as I am
going on Thursday as it's a 300 mile drive from the northwest so will add pics on the weekend but have already found some bucket seats and done a deal so that's one expensive do sorted lol abit eager I know..

The advice I need is regarding the steering wheel.. I was thinking of putting in the flat bottom steering wheel and airbag from a TTS as it looks quite nice but was not sure if it is a straightforward fit or if it is a good idea.
I would like to get the original one but they are quite hard to get ahold of unless anyone has got any going spare on here or can you recommend anything else.

Sorry to drag on here but will hopefully get to know a lot of you here.

Cheers

MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Proud Newbie :D but need some advice

Post by MikeFish » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:47 pm

FON and welcome.
Which steering wheel did it come with originally? If it was the round multifunctional steering wheel then a TTRS wheel is pretty much a straight swap. If it originally had the flat bottom steering wheel then it is a little trickier as you need a little wiring mod to move the sports button and other functions onto the dash (and new wiper stalk for computer / stopwatch maybe?) and to introduce the stereo controls to the new wheel.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:48 pm

To work out which wheel it came with look for the sports button on the dash.

daani8112
Neutral

Post by daani8112 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:05 pm

thank you for your reply..
I am guessing it was the flat bottom as this is worth nicking due to the value but will find out in a couple of days for definate and report back..
i located a original rs4 flat bottom steering but without an airbag so was not sure how easy the bag would be to get separately,
Would owners recommend keeping it with an original wheel to maintain it's value or is a TT wheel a good upgrade?
Thanks

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Eeekkkk...welcome. :shock:

Please check the original build spec, my fear is that some less scrupleless vendors are using a recent spate of seat thefts to shift on accident damaged cars.

On the inside cover of the service history book is the build sheet specification Sticker, on that look for the following codes:

2PX = Sports Steering Wheel (i.e. Flat Bottom one)
Q4P = Sports Front Seats (i.e Bucket Seats)

If it doesn't have those listed in there, then the story you've been told could be factitious. Failing the presence of a service history book, a call into Audi GB with the original Reg should enable the spec codes to be listed.

Good luck :thumbs:
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:40 am

I doubt you can steal the seats through the window without having to remove the steering wheel 1st so with stolen buckets I'd expect any steering wheel to be taken regardless of type.

MartayMcFly
5th Gear

Post by MartayMcFly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:48 am

I had a TT-RS wheel on my last one (now with geordie jay), it's definitely possible and I think a great daily-driver upgrade as you can then get all the radio and phone functions on to the wheel without sacrificing the flat bottom look, or the chunkiness of the rim (RS4 wheel is a bit thicker than the TTRS/RS6 one, but the other flat bottom multi-function wheels like from the S3 are spindly by comparison).

As for airbag, just by personal preference, I wouldn't trust any ebay seller. Get a genuine one from a trusted supplier or your dealer.
2001 8L S3 - sold
2008 8P2 S3 - sold
2007 B7 RS4 - sold
2006 B7 RS4 (supercharged) - sold
2016 C7 RS6 - sold
2015 8V RS3 Stage 3 - sold
2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Surrey Sam
Cruising

Post by Surrey Sam » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:33 am

MikeFish wrote:I doubt you can steal the seats through the window without having to remove the steering wheel 1st so with stolen buckets I'd expect any steering wheel to be taken regardless of type.
I'd guess they use the passenger window Mike?

I still marvel how they get them through the window, as I struggle getting them out through the door apertures. Hefty buggers.
Sepang Blue B8 RS4, MY14, All option packs, B&O, Adv Key, Adapt Cruise, Pan Roof, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, + more.
Previous - Sprint Blue B7 RS4 Avant, Ceramics, Sunroof, SS+, Buckets, FBSW, Bluetooth, 2010+ RNSe
Previous - Phantom Black B7 RS4 Avant, Black Optics, Titan pack, SS+, Buckets, FBSW

daani8112
Neutral

Post by daani8112 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:58 am

great I will have a look at the spec Sticker now i know what the codes mean.

I think I will stick with the original one as mike mentions a wiring mod is required.

I have managed to locate one so will just double check the spec on the car before I go ahead with the purchase.

Just remembered the gear knob with the carbon trim around it has been taken aswell :( just this one thing left to source and I should have it all ready by next week :D

I have an s3 gearknob which I could use temporarily but can you recommend anywhere to get the carbon trim around the bottom?

I had a thought to possible get a normal a4 one hydrodipped to look atleast abit similar for the time being. What do you think?

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:15 am

Surrey Sam wrote:
MikeFish wrote:I doubt you can steal the seats through the window without having to remove the steering wheel 1st so with stolen buckets I'd expect any steering wheel to be taken regardless of type.

I still marvel how they get them through the window, as I struggle getting them out through the door apertures. Hefty buggers.
It's a bit easier when you don't give a toss about damage to the rest of the car...

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:02 pm

daani8112 wrote:great I will have a look at the spec sticker now i know what the codes mean.

I think I will stick with the original one as mike mentions a wiring mod is required.

I have managed to locate one so will just double check the spec on the car before I go ahead with the purchase.

Just remembered the gear knob with the carbon trim around it has been taken aswell :( just this one thing left to source and I should have it all ready by next week :D

I have an s3 gearknob which I could use temporarily but can you recommend anywhere to get the carbon trim around the bottom?

I had a thought to possible get a normal a4 one hydrodipped to look atleast abit similar for the time being. What do you think?
Should find one on ebay. If you get it hydrodipped I'd be suprised if it will match the ashtray which sits right in front of it.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:03 pm

Surrey Sam wrote:

Yeah, I've had my seats out through the door and it aint easy. Getting the drivers seat out of the passenger window with the steering wheel in and the centre console in the way must surely be near impossible?

RichT128
2nd Gear

Post by RichT128 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Wouldn't put a tts steering wheel in it - my previous car was a tts and I loved it... But the thicker rs4 flat bottomed one is a world better! (Don't know about the ttrs wheel)

Ferrari 360 Modena F1
No isofix!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:46 pm

RichT128 wrote:Wouldn't put a tts steering wheel in it - my previous car was a tts and I loved it... But the thicker rs4 flat bottomed one is a world better! (Don't know about the ttrs wheel)
TTRS is a good wheel. Thicker than than the TTS.
The problem with the RS4 one is that it has flappy paddles.

daani8112
Neutral

Post by daani8112 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi guys thanks for your help. Really appreciate all input.

I will be sticking with the original rs4 flat bottom as I managed to source one and prefer to keep it original

I have actually got most of the bits before the car has arrived lol but I am going to collect it tomorrow so will be adding car pics soon.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411585702.543054.jpg

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”