Leak = trouble?

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
MikeFish
Cruising

Re: Leak = trouble?

Post by MikeFish » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:13 pm

toyneg wrote:How desperate is this job to get sorted saying it is aux rad?
Depends how bad it is? Even if it is really bad, if you avoid running the engine really hot then it won't even kick in.
I only ever noticed mine steaming when sitting in traffic for 20 or 30 mins (when car was already at normal operating temperature) or sitting with the engne on parked for ages. Normal driving I never noticed it.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 pm

PS, I also get a little steam from the front during damp weather when the engine is at temp but not really hot, so defo not the aux rads. I assumed it either the main rad or just rain water evaporating on the negine parts. As I don't seem to be losing any fluid and it never happens in the dry I have to go with the rain water assumption.

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:21 pm

You will be losing coolant.
This isn't great but manageable if you keep topping up.

Bad part is that the coolant system is no longer sealed so it won't maintain pressure. This lowers the boiling point substantially so the coolant could start to boil and this reduces the effectiveness and can be a problem.

MarksRS
1st Gear

Post by MarksRS » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:31 am

Where would be the best place to order a replacement aux rad? By the sounds of it a few of us may need one!

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 am

MarksRS wrote:Where would be the best place to order a replacement aux rad? By the sounds of it a few of us may need one!
Audi Pardner alreayd stated Stoke Audi do them for £189 delivered. Sounds about right. Might be worth a look on ebay as Aberdeen Audi sometimes do some cheap parts on there. Probablty worth having a look on EuroCarParts too especially with a 30% that's normally knocking around.

Audi Pardner
4th Gear

Post by Audi Pardner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:43 pm

The definitive sign of a leaking rad is coolant loss as adsgreen says. I've just replaced both my aux rads recently (see 'F-F-Flippin' RS4s' thread) as they were the original ones, and replacing only the leaking one is bound to prompt the other to start leaking as soon as you get the bumper back on. :x

Or you could go down the CAF route.
Misano Red B7 RS4 Avant. 20" Rotors. KW adjustable spring kit. 8 & 10mm H&R spacers. MRC Stage 2 remap. Pre-cat delete & x-pipe.

coffey555
5th Gear

Post by coffey555 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:30 pm

I had both aux radiators replaced last year and I noticed a puddle of water just in front of the passenger side wheel last week about 5 mins after I parked the car.

Had the air con on so assumed it was just condensation dripping off the condenser.

Will have to have a proper look now the next time it does it but my coolant level has ok the last time I checked.
Misano Red RS4 B7 Avant

Audi Pardner
4th Gear

Post by Audi Pardner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:51 pm

coffey555 wrote:I had both aux radiators replaced last year and I noticed a puddle of water just in front of the passenger side wheel last week about 5 mins after I parked the car.

Had the air con on so assumed it was just condensation dripping off the condenser.

Will have to have a proper look now the next time it does it but my coolant level has ok the last time I checked.
Yep, likely to be condensation; I've noticed a small puddle on the garage floor under the car after a run with the aircon on.
Misano Red B7 RS4 Avant. 20" Rotors. KW adjustable spring kit. 8 & 10mm H&R spacers. MRC Stage 2 remap. Pre-cat delete & x-pipe.

chrisd31
1st Gear

Post by chrisd31 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:50 pm

is it necessary to have the aux rads then?

Audi Pardner
4th Gear

Post by Audi Pardner » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:38 pm

chrisd31 wrote:is it necessary to have the aux rads then?
Not sure. I suspect they're there for cars running in hotter climates eg California. As far as I know, the CAF option (ie removing the o/s aux rad to accommodate a CAF) doesn't create overheating problems in our climate, but those who've done it may be able to advise properly.

MikeFish
Cruising

Post by MikeFish » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:53 pm

I've only had the one aux rad for the last 2 summers with no issues. There are supercharged cars also running with one aux rad and had no issues I'm aware of. Possible they were just over engineered or the more common conception is as stayed above that the UK climate just doesn't need that much cooling.

RossDagley
Top Gear

Post by RossDagley » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:13 am

Audi Pardner wrote:
chrisd31 wrote:is it necessary to have the aux rads then?
Not sure. I suspect they're there for cars running in hotter climates eg California. As far as I know, the CAF option (ie removing the o/s aux rad to accommodate a CAF) doesn't create overheating problems in our climate, but those who've done it may be able to advise properly.
I've done two 'ring trips now this year after a CAF and aux delete with no ill effects. Seems fine for me.
Believe only the man who has nothing to gain from what he says.

2017 BMW M4 Competition Pack - Mineral Grey - 530ps by bootmod3, JCWeldfab exhaust.
Previously:
Renault Megane R26 - Liquid Yellow - 275ps.
2015 Audi Exclusive RS4 B8 - Merlin Purple - JCWF Exhaust
2009 Audi RS6 C6 - Phantom Black - 730ps MRC Tuned
2008 Audi RS4 B7 - Phantom Black - 449ps MRC Tuned
2002 Peugeot 106 Gti - Mauritius blue - 430ps Home built.

S4Player
Top Gear

Post by S4Player » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:12 am

Many a supercharged guy been driven hard and for many miles with no ill effects. Don't see there being any issues for an NA car
1*** hp TTE C6 rs6 saloon and the ultimate WB B5

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:16 am

One owner from Germany did report higher than average temps when doing extended autobahn work so fabricated a mount for the replaced aux rad in front of the main rad. seemed to do the trick.
However flat out the autobahn is incredibly tough with regards to heat esp as the RS4 doesn't really have a long 6th.
But for the UK and trackdays I don't see the aux rad delete as any problem. Even if something did go wonky, you would still have the protection from the coolant gauge and warning lights well before any damage would occur.

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”