Just bought RS4 and using 1 litre of oil in 70 miles HELP

4.2 V8 32v Naturally Aspirated - 414 bhp
blueboy
Neutral

Just bought RS4 and using 1 litre of oil in 70 miles HELP

Post by blueboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:22 am

Hi,

I've just, in the last 2 weeks, bought an RS4 from a dealer. As I was driving back (120 miles) the oil low light came on. The next day I went to Audi to get the car inspected and told them about the low oil light. They checked the car and said it was in great condition and topped the oil upto half way (used a quarter of a litre). I then reset the trip counter and went about by everyday activities. 300 miles later the light came on again but this time it took a litre of oil. I reset the counter again and in 70 miles the light was on again! Another litre!!!

There is a lot of white smoke on startup which last for about 5 mins. Oil service was done 3000 miles ago with the longlife oil 5w30 and that is what I've topped it up with. The car drives well and has lots if power but I haven't got a clue about cars and Audi is going to look into it but is this potentially going to be big money?

Appreciate anyone's time and experience

:)

JAMZONTOAST
Neutral

Re: Just bought RS4 and using 1 litre of oil in 70 miles HEL

Post by JAMZONTOAST » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:40 am

I think it really depends on whether your oil is leaking or burning. Do you get a lot of blue smoke under acceleration?
I would expect there to be a lot of smoke if you're using a litre in 70 miles.
Have a check and see if the oil is leaking.

But be careful about letting the oil light come on. My car was burning oil, around 1 litre every 800-1000 miles, it got low, and then developed a bad knocking, and I'm currently getting a new (well, second hand) engine fitted.
That's not to say yours will be the same, as I suspect mine has been abused by a former owner! :(

murph22
1st Gear

Post by murph22 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:48 am

Hi mate, the handbook says about .5 litre for 1500miles depending on driving conditions. I'm no expert and sure some of the lads on here
will be able to offer more advice but I would suggest you get the car booked in at a good Independent for a thorough check over.

Rick_RS4
Cruising

Post by Rick_RS4 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:57 am

leaking oil cooler?

blueboy
Neutral

Post by blueboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:28 am

Thanks for the quick responses!

The car has no oil leaking from underneath and the only smoke is white on startup which lasts for a few minutes.

MartayMcFly
5th Gear

Post by MartayMcFly » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:33 am

That amount of oil is going somewhere. Have you checked under the car for oil puddles? If it's leaking have a proper nosey under the car and in the engine bay to see if you can trace the source. If no sign of is leaking, then it's internal and being burned up which is then likely a gasket failed/missing.

Average is meant to be 0.5l in 1500 miles, but 1l in 1000 isn't unheard of. I'm not surprised Audi didn't find anything, there won't be a fault code for an oil leak.
2001 8L S3 - sold
2008 8P2 S3 - sold
2007 B7 RS4 - sold
2006 B7 RS4 (supercharged) - sold
2016 C7 RS6 - sold
2015 8V RS3 Stage 3 - sold
2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

blueboy
Neutral

Post by blueboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 am

Hi,

There isn't a leak anywhere. Audi took belly pan off and no leak anywhere.

Thanks

jaysrs4
5th Gear

Post by jaysrs4 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:02 am

I assume you have a warranty with the purchase?

Just take it back, tell them its broken and to fix it or give you your money back.

blueboy
Neutral

Post by blueboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:11 am

Yes, I bought it from a dealer. However, he says there are loads if problems with the car I partex'd!

adsgreen
Cruising

Post by adsgreen » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:26 am

Ha - that is his problem not yours.

That amount oil oil is quite substantial.

The smoke - is it quite significant or a constant whiff?
Most rs4 s will smoke a little on startup but usually clears very quickly (less than minute)
Noticably Smoking for 5 minutes suggests that something is getting in there - my initial guess would be either a failed piston ring (which would smoke all the time really) or a valve stem seal (which generally smoke until warm).
The fine oil separator can be a culprit too -hard to test but easy to inspect as it's behind the oil filter.

Top Up with oil and the go for a motorway drive - worth getting the car nice and hot (at leat oil temp of 100c).
The stop and wait for say 5 minutes to allow the oil to settle. Restart the car and see what the exhaust is like - there should be nothing.

Next would be to take the under tray off at the front - some of the oil lines can be thermostat controlled so need to run the car. You can run it at idle and let it heat up and then see what's under the car.

Hmm - just re reading. .. 1 litre in 30 miles then 1 litre in 70 miles suggests a major leak getting worse. If it is the oil cooler then it sounds like it's about to let go and dump all the oil out. Taking the bumper off is easy if you have a friend to help. It's only three big screws on the top and a couple in the wheel arch but really the dealer should be doing this.

neilparf
Cruising

Post by neilparf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:45 am

adsgreen wrote:Ha - that is his problem not yours.

...really the dealer should be doing this.
This.

No messing around - back to the dealer - his problem.

Sounds a lot of oil not to strike off a leak somewhere. As ads mentions, it's a large amount and seems to get worse...
Gone but never forgotten:
2007 RS4 B7 Saloon, Metallic Silver with SS+.
LED's all round and Dectane LED tailights. KDS detail and paint. Lepsons black chrome, heavy on the silver wheels. JCWeldFab full system - valved and no pre-cats. MRC stage 2, de-flap and full carbon clean - 438PS and 489NM. HEL brake lines. H&R Spacers. Gtechniq C1 and EXO V2 coatings. 2010+ RNS-E. On the MRC dyno: http://youtu.be/y_k0VJ2--y8

blueboy
Neutral

Post by blueboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:51 am

adsgreen wrote:Ha - that is his problem not yours.

That amount oil oil is quite substantial.

The smoke - is it quite significant or a constant whiff?
Most rs4 s will smoke a little on startup but usually clears very quickly (less than minute)
Noticably Smoking for 5 minutes suggests that something is getting in there - my initial guess would be either a failed piston ring (which would smoke all the time really) or a valve stem seal (which generally smoke until warm).
The fine oil separator can be a culprit too -hard to test but easy to inspect as it's behind the oil filter.

Top Up with oil and the go for a motorway drive - worth getting the car nice and hot (at leat oil temp of 100c).
The stop and wait for say 5 minutes to allow the oil to settle. Restart the car and see what the exhaust is like - there should be nothing.

Next would be to take the under tray off at the front - some of the oil lines can be thermostat controlled so need to run the car. You can run it at idle and let it heat up and then see what's under the car.

Hmm - just re reading. .. 1 litre in 30 miles then 1 litre in 70 miles suggests a major leak getting worse. If it is the oil cooler then it sounds like it's about to let go and dump all the oil out. Taking the bumper off is easy if you have a friend to help. It's only three big screws on the top and a couple in the wheel arch but really the dealer should be doing this.

Thanks so much - will have a look at this :)

blueboy
Neutral

Post by blueboy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:56 am

The dealer is 250 miles away and says I given him a bad car, going to send me a bill for all the problems and the last phone call he said the F word about 25 times in a couple of minutes and seems like a pyscho. So not sure what to do :(

Ian_C
Cruising

Post by Ian_C » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Only because he can see his profit margin taking a hit! Dump the car back to him pronto
B5 B6 B7 B9

SuprSi
5th Gear

Post by SuprSi » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:39 pm

And he can't bill you for anything that's wrong with the car you PX'd, he's talking bollocks to try to scare you off. I doubt there's anything wrong with it at all tbh.

By the way, download an app to record the phone calls so you can prove he's being an abusive tw@t.

Sorry you're having probs :/

Just a thought since it's so far away, is it possible to get the car looked at by someone else and then bill the dealer?
2003 C5 RS6 Avant Daytona Grey

Return to “RS4 (B7 Typ 8E) 2006–2008”